Braunston Historic Boat Gathering - June 2023

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Goliath said:

Don’t forget Audlem at the end of this month. 
That’s a good one.

Oh, good point. I can get to that.

If Alvecote is end of August doesn't that clash with the IWA festival at Pelsall? I'm hopefully going there with BCNS' Atlas & Malus. Need a way to clone myself.

Thanks for the other dates.

@alan_fincher the tug rally happened this year, so I assume it's on next also? I'll ask Mike Anson and remind him that Sickle exists. 🙂

Edited by Francis Herne

6 hours ago, David Schweizer said:

The problem would appear to be that a significant majority of the current forum membership is totally disinterested in the historic aspects of the canals, and those that are are still posting are fewer and fewer, presumably because their posts generate no interest. If you look at recent posts on the historic aspect of the canals, it is the same half dozen the contribute, both you and myself used to be frequent posters on historic topics, but we both seem to have almost given up. No one is intersted anymore, not even the forum owner!

Heritage and History section still seems reasonably busy.

1 hour ago, Tonka said:

@alan_fincher Is there still a tug one at the Black Country living Museum

There was one on the early May bank holiday.

2 hours ago, Ray T said:

There is also the gathering at Alvecote Marina, last bank holiday in August.

It has the added attraction of The Samuel Barlow pub.

We will be there hitching a ride on England.

Team X have just finished one of our trips and managed to fit in both the Middlewich Festival and the Lymm Festival held over sequential weekends.  There were several historic boats at both gatherings. 

We travelled from Anderton to Dutton in the company of a very pleasant lady piloting Gainsborough and coincidentally came back the same way behind Saturn being towed by (I think) Ilford.  We had a long chat whilst waiting at the Saltersford tunnel with the two crews and were caught up by Shad.  Made for an interesting trip through, if a little smokey.

We passed, or were passed by, several historic boats on the Bridgwater and the crews were always friendly and accommodating.  Lymm was particularly interesting with the traction engines etc and well worth a visit.

Made the trip that bit more varied and always good to see these boats out and about.

• Greenie 2

3 hours ago, Goliath said:

Don’t forget Audlem at the end of this month. 
That’s a good one. 

We went last year and enjoyed it, even though the numbers were down due to being no water anywhere. It should be better this year, especially as the fly is open again!! - at least it was when we passed some weeks back ;)

• Happy 1

33 minutes ago, David Mack said:

That would be interesting, since Ilford is also a butty!

Oops!  Just shows what I know. 🙂.

I will peruse my photos again.  Trouble is the angle from behind ain't great.

16 minutes ago, PCSB said:

We went last year and enjoyed it, even though the numbers were down due to being no water anywhere. It should be better this year, especially as the fly is open again!! - at least it was when we passed some weeks back ;)

The fly was quite busy last night so still open and a lot of people eating there.

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Rob-M said:

The fly was quite busy last night so still open and a lot of people eating there.

Excellent, we had a good meal there and the beer was very decent too. Hope they make a really good go of it.

27 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

Buckden

Many thanks, will annotate photos accordingly.

The crews were very informative and I understand Saturn will be used for some horse drawn trials soon.  Good to hear the old methods of boating are being kept up

I’ve got some of Sickle from Saturday too.

The interest is significant I would think but not everyone always publishes their pictures. The car park and towpaths were certainly busy as were the areas in the marina.

Most interesting for us were the skills of the steering of the pairs, especially the buttys. Very impressive. 

IMG_2023-7-7-134001.thumb.jpeg.2a3b5c8da8d4298c3999d184eb9fd7bf.jpeg

IMG_2023-7-7-134154.thumb.jpeg.ecca6a68073a1b376d9531e6f8ffae01.jpeg

IMG_2023-7-7-134217.jpeg

IMG_2023-7-7-134309.thumb.jpeg.f586e4ab0ca1a45bddfcbb22393f01ac.jpeg

I did wonder where the Labradors and Mrs F went during your transit of the marina though? 😂

Edited by Stroudwater1
  • Greenie 1

On 06/07/2023 at 18:53, David Mack said:

That would be interesting, since Ilford is also a butty!

Occasionally a butty did tow another butty.

Olive Rose & Clara Br 230 Oxford Canal mid 1930's.

Just see the horse LHS of photo.

Photo from NarrowBoat Magazine 

Olive Rose & Clara Br 230 Oxford Canal Mid 1930's.jpg

Also Ted Barrett often towed two butties behind Rocket, in this case Daisy & Hope.

Phoebe Barret Rocket, Daisy & Hope.jpg..jpg

Edited by Ray T
  • Greenie 1

On 06/07/2023 at 21:10, Mrs Bearwood Boster said:

We've seen Beattie towing Saturn.We were on the Golly in April/May & saw them then at Trevor.We live in Ellesmere & have seen them moored together by the C&RT yard.

Beatty (note spelling please) towed Saturn from Easter to the end of June - Ellesmere Port to Ellesmere, then up to Trevor for school visits, to Crickheath down the Montgomery Canal, then to Middlewich FAB Festival, finally to Lymm for more schools visits and the Transport Festival. Buckden then took up towing duties heading to Gnosall CFest and Audlem later this month.

• Greenie 2