Braunston Historic Boat Gathering - June 2023

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

IanMulford.thumb.jpg.6e84f585f30fc870a4abad8c0101e408.jpgAn unusually quiet aftermath to Braunston in terms of photos and videos that have been posted since - this despite a pretty good attendance of something like 80 historic boats.

We were involved enough soaking up the atmosphere that we failed to take any of our own photos.  However scouring around we have turned up several for our own boat SICKLE.

Here's a selection>

(Photo by Ian Mulford of this forum)

(Photo by Kev Maslin)

(Photo by Polly Parrot)

Kev Maslin.jpg

Polly.jpg

Edited by alan_fincher
Uploads not working!
  • Greenie 2
  • Happy 1

The problem would appear to be that a significant majority of the current forum membership is totally disinterested in the historic aspects of the canals, and those that are are still posting are fewer and fewer, presumably because their posts generate no interest. If you look at recent posts on the historic aspect of the canals, it is the same half dozen the contribute, both you and myself used to be frequent posters on historic topics, but we both seem to have almost given up. No one is intersted anymore, not even the forum owner!

• Greenie 1

19 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

The problem would appear to be that a significant majority of the current forum membership is totally disinterested in the historic aspects of the canals, and those that are are still posting are fewer and fewer, presumably because their posts generate no interest. If you look at recent posts on the historic aspect of the canals, it is the same half dozen the contribute, both you and myself used to be frequent posters on historic topics, but we both seem to have almost given up. No one is intersted anymore, not even the forum owner!

It is not helped by some of the current historic owners. There was a case recently where a historic boat went through Rugeley without slowing down and literally just kept going and pushed boats out of the way. I had let him past me before the aqueduct. All I could here were the people complaining coming out of Rugeley.

I did add a few photos to the other thread but here's a link to the album (click on the image).

Braunston Historic Narrow Boat Rally 2023

I only really took pictures on the Saturday morning parade having decided to take video on the afternoon one.

I was planning to take a load more on the Sunday as I was recovering from a fractured humerus but against my other half's wishes I went playing with boats instead.  I've only managed to find two pictures of me steering on the Sunday parade although there were a load of people with cameras around.  I guess that no one shares them much online anymore outside the likes of Facebook.

I'll see what I can do with the videos I took.

• Greenie 2

38 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

I think you need to distinguish between those interested in the history (and future!) of the canals -- like me -- and those who are actively involved in/interested in historic boats, which I suspect is a lot fewer people... 😉

1 hour ago, Tonka said:

It is not helped by some of the current historic owners. There was a case recently where a historic boat went through Rugeley without slowing down and literally just kept going and pushed boats out of the way. I had let him past me before the aqueduct. All I could here were the people complaining coming out of Rugeley.

There have always been a few arrogant historic boat owners, who's behavior did little to endear others, but l always founf that the majority behaved considerately.

Edited by David Schweizer
  • Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, IanD said:

I think you need to distinguish between those interested in the history (and future!) of the canals -- like me -- and those who are actively involved in/interested in historic boats, which I suspect is a lot fewer people... 😉

Can one not be interested in both?

• Greenie 1

7 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

There have always been a few arrogant historic boat owners, who's behavior did little to endear others, but thia l always founfd that the majority behaved considerately.

There are a few arrogant owners amongst all types of boats, but the distinctive nature of historic boats tends to mean that a bad encounter sticks in the memory and all historic boat owners get tarred with the same brush, whereas arrogant behaviour by the owner of a clonecraft just gets dismissed as one of the relatively few bad apples.

• Love 1

13 minutes ago, IanM said:

Can one not be interested in both?

Yes of course -- I wasn't saying that historic boat owners/fans *weren't* interested in the history, obviously they're very likely to be... 😉

1 hour ago, David Schweizer said:

There have always been a few arrogant historic boat owners, who's behavior did little to endear others, but thia l always founfd that the majority behaved considerately.

1 hour ago, David Mack said:

There are a few arrogant owners amongst all types of boats, but the distinctive nature of historic boats tends to mean that a bad encounter sticks in the memory and all historic boat owners get tarred with the same brush, whereas arrogant behaviour by the owner of a clonecraft just gets dismissed as one of the relatively few bad apples.

Yes - both of the above.

I once experienced appalling behaviour by the crew of an historic boat - but thankfully it is not something I have ever seen repeated.

Behaviour by "Trust" of "Friends of" crews can sometimes be less than perfect, but I have found if challenged through the proper channels, they usually take a complaint quite seriously.

Edited by alan_fincher
Spellcecker guessed wrong word.

3 hours ago, David Schweizer said:

I think most of us out there floating about are too worried about how and whether we are going to get home to care too much about people playing with old 70 footers. The history of the canals is fascinating , that of old boats less so. What really concerns most forum members is the future of the system, not its past, and whether it actually has one.

Edited by Arthur Marshall
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, David Schweizer said:

I'm certainly glad to see some pictures. Some beautiful boats there and a few I've met before around the place.

I like in @IanM's photos the series of (mostly) Town motor cabins - it's a bit of a spot-the-difference!

Regret having missed it this time - next year both Ellesmere Port and Braunston are going in my calendar the moment I find out the date.

Edited by Francis Herne

34 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

I think most of us out there floating about are too worried about how and whether we are going to get home to care too much about people playing with old 70 footers. The history of the canals is fascinating , that of old boats less so. What really concerns most forum members is the future of the system, not its past, and whether it actually has one.

It’s all part of the same parcel though. 
Without the old 70 footers there’d be something sadly missing. 

The Historic Narrowboat Boat Club are active in preserving the heritage of the canals and I understand they carry some weight when dealing with CRT

Ive just remembered the other year when they all went over the Rochdale. Didn’t a few get stuck on leaving?
So it’s not all Roses and Castles for them either. 

20 minutes ago, Francis Herne said:

I'm certainly glad to see some pictures. Some beautiful boats there and a few I've met before around the place.

I like in @IanM's photos the series of (mostly) Town motor cabins - it's a bit of a spot-the-difference!

Regret having missed it this time - next year both Ellesmere Port and Braunston are going in my calendar the moment I find out the date.

Braunston has always been the last weekend in June so should be 29th and 30th June 2024.

Edited by IanM
  • Greenie 1

46 minutes ago, Francis Herne said:

There is also the gathering at Alvecote Marina, last bank holiday in August.

It has the added attraction of The Samuel Barlow pub.

Edited by Ray T
  • Greenie 2

49 minutes ago, Francis Herne said:

Ellesmere Port gathering is normally over Easter 

3 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

My original post sought to respond to the observation made by Alan Fincher and only  referred to the historic aspects of the canals, making no specific reference to working boats. Other posters may have made assumptions, but it is not helpful if people attempt to put words into my mouth.

Edited by David Schweizer