George Ward evicted.

Featured Posts

• 3 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

From the article:

"Mr Ward’s eviction ends a three-year battle with the Canal & River Trust, which manages 2,000 miles of the country’s inland waterways."

Somehow, I bet it doesn't. 

Hang on, "three year battle"? Isn't it 13 years at least?!!

The whole affair is very sad. Clearly the guy has issues of some description and probably needs to speak to someone but on the other hand 10-13 years is a bit beyond taking the piss. I'm sure this could have been handled far better from both sides. I don't think it's a simple case of someone overstaying.

Reminds me of the boat that was sat outside the Constitution in Camden. That was there for at least 3 years. The guy was a nasty piece of work although I suspect he also had some issues that needed dealing with.

Last time I was in London, a few months ago the boat was gone. Not sure when or where it went. I don't suppose anyone knows the story about that one?

Edited by HenryFreeman

2 minutes ago, HenryFreeman said:

The whole affair is very sad. Clearly the guy has issues of some description and probably needs to speak to someone but on the other hand 10-13 years is a bit beyond taking the piss. I'm sure this could have been handled far better from both sides. I don't think it's a simple case of someone overstaying.

Blimey you really haven't been following this have you!!!!

This chap is highly skilled at playing the system, manipulating CRT and playing the 'disabled' card. He has a dodgy eye, thats it. He's been running rings around CRT/BW for as long as I can remember. A really clever bloke.

6 minutes ago, MtB said:

Blimey you really haven't been following this have you!!!!

This chap is highly skilled at playing the system, manipulating CRT and playing the 'disabled' card. He has a dodgy eye, thats it. He's been running rings around CRT/BW for as long as I can remember. A really clever bloke.

A dodgy eye and he gets to overstay for 10 years? Where did CRT get their lawyers from? YTS scheme?

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, HenryFreeman said:

A dodgy eye and he gets to overstay for 10 years? Where did CRT get their lawyers from? YTS scheme?

Facebook I reckon.

The saddest thing is the whole episode has illustrated in sharp relief how slow CRT respond to some serious push-back by a media-savvy piss taker. 

Stand by for a few dozen "Me too" boaters trying it on in a similar way, given Mr Ward's success in holding them off for 13 years of no mooring fees and (most of the time) no licence. 

Edited by MtB

13 minutes ago, HenryFreeman said:

I believe there are many ways to frustrate or at least seriously delay the legal process, and if you can get enough repeat hearings a fair chance that a judge will make a dodgy decision. George (and maybe some advisers) know how to do this. Its particularly difficult for CRT as they are stuck with a very vague waterways act which is open to all sorts of interpretation by the legal system.

I think its amazing that CRT have got this done even though its taken a while.

Its quite possible  that George fell out with his legal team as I believe he's a stroppy git, so maybe this is why CRT have won

8 minutes ago, dmr said:

Its quite possible  that George fell out with his legal team as I believe he's a stroppy git, so maybe this is why CRT have won

That would seem consistent with the story. 

George successfully holds them at bay for 11 years, then suddenly gets overwhelmed. Pissing-off a highly competent legal team working pro bono would fit the facts. 

On 23/07/2023 at 17:47, Alan de Enfield said:

It was, and the rule was you had to fence and maintain the fence for 21 years to be able to claim (what was known as) "Squatters Rights".

We had a triangular 5 acre 'abandoned' plot of land between our fields and the colliey railway line - after 21 years it became ours.

When was this?   The limitation period in England and Wales for recovery of land had been no more than 12 years since at least 1939.

There are now (since 2002) important distinctions in processes between registered and unregistered land.

On 26/07/2023 at 20:21, David Mack said:

According to https://www.gazetteandherald.co.uk/news/23668459.boater-served-huge-bill-eviction-notice-canal-rivers-trust/ Ward was due in Court yesterday, but was trying to get the hearing deferred. I assume from the absence of news reports that the hearing didn't take place.

That latest article answers my question:

"He was forced to leave this month after the Canal & River Trust obtained a fresh court order for trespass at a Bristol County Court hearing on July 26, which he failed to attend.

Mr Ward had wanted to request a 28-day adjournment of the case to enable him to prepare a defence but it went ahead in his absence."

10 hours ago, HenryFreeman said:

Reminds me of the boat that was sat outside the Constitution in Camden. That was there for at least 3 years. The guy was a nasty piece of work although I suspect he also had some issues that needed dealing with.

Last time I was in London, a few months ago the boat was gone. Not sure when or where it went. I don't suppose anyone knows the story about that one?

The CRT moved it then it sank. Owner blamed the sinking on a film crew but it was going to sink anyway as it was a blatant wreck with nobody living on it. 

(Boat in picture is an example of a nice lifeboat not the shed in question)

A yard down the street from mine,the owners foolisly allowed a nutcase/bum to move into a caravan ,supposedly as a caretaker .......the bum started bringing all sorts of junk to surround the van ,one week the owner was away ,and the bum took in a truckload of old tyres .....in return for booze ,apparently.........Anyhoo,the owner wasnt pleased ,and in the altercation that followed ,the bum got straightened with a lump of pipe ,and karked it ........poor old Max Watt was charged with murder ,and ended up losing the yard ,and doing time  for MS............lesson learned there about charity .

8 hours ago, Tacet said:

When was this?   The limitation period in England and Wales for recovery of land had been no more than 12 years since at least 1939.

There are now (since 2002) important distinctions in processes between registered and unregistered land.

It is 12. It probably was not a fluke that the CRT got rid before the 12 yar time was up. The Ward geyser is a lot more organised than he appears and has other people dealing with the legal side of this. I would suggest he was almost certainly considering an adverse possession claim even though it probably would not have worked it may have given more time due to the legal processes. 

Its called "pushing the envelope". 

Squatters know their rights and will take take take until they get dealt with. 

Some background going back to BW days .

https://www.communitylawpartnership.co.uk/gypsy-and-traveller-cases/boat-cases/british-waterways-board-v-ward

"Mr Ward sought to reply on proceedings in House of Commons and House of Lords Select Committees but the judge ruled that these matters did not come within the criteria laid down in Pepper v Hart."

Going to HOC and HOL committees? This is Too Organised. 

11 hours ago, HenryFreeman said:

After the ‘Pillings Lock Marina’ debacle where C & RT lost around £260,000 in one hit, nothing they do, or don’t do, surprises me.

The use of the land by the boat dweller is a basic problem. This little piece I found on the Kanda webshite says an awful lot about the attitude problem prevalent in the area. 

These people think it is actually alright to pile random crap and junk on the towpath. They actually want to defend their right to do this.

Good riddance to bad rubbish time to clear the land. 

The CRT even offered a skip but all these people can say is 'resist, resist'. 

Trouble right there. 

IMG_20230817_150310.jpg.1adeb82057fdfc8afc8607d34a1a2004.jpg

"Smelly bridge" is where the Ward geyser was located. 

https://kanda.boatingcommunity.org.uk/category/crt/crt-policy-news/

CRT acting within their powers to demand removal of objects from their land is a 'reason to oppose...' ?? 

What sort of idiots are we talking about here? The CRT are the registered proprietors of the canal and associated land. It is obvious they will have powers to control behaviour and piling up of 'possessions' aka random junk and rubbish is not something that should be tolerated under any circumstances. 

Yet people actually want to argue for their right to do this. 

Edited by magnetman

3 hours ago, john.k said:

Dumping junk on a bit of land may not be adverse possession ..........here ,the possessor must be doing something constructive on the land ,such as growing crops ,grazing livestock,or using it as a residence .

Its interesting. You are probably right but sole use by storage of items does seem to be intentionally denying access by others. 

Interestingly the limitation period for registered land is actually now 10 yars not 12. 

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/adverse-possession-of-registered-land/practice-guide-4-adverse-possession-of-registered-land

• adverse possession of registered land for 12 years of itself will no longer affect the registered proprietor’s title
  • after 10 years’ adverse possession, the squatter will be entitled to apply to be registered as proprietor in place of the registered proprietor of the land
  • on such an application being made the registered proprietor (and certain other persons interested in the land) will be notified and given the opportunity to oppose the application
  • Greenie 1

Yes I know he is in the states but I still think he could be right. 

You have to be using the land as if it were your own land. 

I just find the timing of it all interesting. Its possible the CRT had spotted a potential adverse possession claim coming up and got their skates on to deal with the problem before getting into the land use side of it. 

The Ward character in one of the videos did claim the CRT were taking 'adverse possession' of the boat which while being inaccurate does give the game away a little I think. 

If he did fall out with the CLP, which is a professional legal representation company, he was probably badly advised later by someone masquerading as knowledgeable.