Where to get this fuel cap online?

Featured Posts

Hi

i dropped the cap lid to my fuel tank into the canal and need to buy a new one. However when I the type fuel cap narrowboat into Google, I get a whole plethora of caps making me unsure which is correct for me. 

I attached an image of what I mean. What should I be looking for? The thing I dropped looked like a huge nut? The hole is 4mm long. 

04E78340-7183-49F2-A025-467C50B15044.jpeg

DC3C0D33-7635-4C8A-A843-E238DB58C06B.jpeg

Edited by wandering

11 minutes ago, wandering said:

Hi

i dropped the cap lid to my fuel tank into the canal and need to buy a new one. However when I the type fuel cap narrowboat into Google, I get a whole plethora of caps making me unsure which is correct for me. 

I attached an image of what I mean. What should I be looking for? The thing I dropped looked like a huge nut? The hole is 4mm long. 

04E78340-7183-49F2-A025-467C50B15044.jpeg

DC3C0D33-7635-4C8A-A843-E238DB58C06B.jpeg

Look like the standard 'pipe fitting' available from most 'construction' ' Heavy duty pipe-plumbing sort of companies.

Did it look like this ?

Fuel Cap Lock.jpg

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Greenie 1

Get a stainless steel  or plastic one and don't drop it. 

The way to avoid dropping it each time you interact with it you reset your brain to think "do not drop this" and you won't drop it. 

Same with windlasses. 

plastic one 

https://www.plasticpipeshop.co.uk/1-12-Threaded-End-Cap-cw-EPDM-Seal_p_971.html

Stainless 

https://www.nero.co.uk/Catalogue/Fittings/Threaded-150lb-Fittings/BSP/Hexagon-Cap

Before rushing off to a plumbers merchant, measure the *inside* diameter of the filler pipe.  It will probably be 1 1/2  inches, but it may be 2 inches. 

Then go somewhere like Plumb Center or online to BES and ask for a 1 1/2 or 2 inch ( as measured)  BSP hex cap.  

N

• Greenie 1

26 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Do you know anybody with a pdf that states that??

From the 1965 bye-laws:-

Prohibition of bathing, taking water etc.
41. No person unless authorised by the Board in that behalf or
otherwise legally entitled so to do shall:

(a) Bathe in any canal
(b) Take any water from any canal (being an inland water to
which section 131 of the Water Resources Act 1963, for the time
being applies
(c) Connect any pipe, culvert or drain to any canal or permit any
pipe, culvert or drain to discharge on to any property of the
Board.
(d) Dredge or remove coal or other material from any canal.

• Greenie 1

Things are always a bit slow on canals. The last time primary legislation was passed was in 1995. 

This was 28 yars ago. A lifetime for a 28 yar old person.

As for byelaws these are enjoyable reading 

https://www.wbct.org.uk/early-history/148-1819-canal-rules-and-byelaws

1. . That no boatman or other person shall navigate any boat upon this Canal at any other times than between the hours of seven in the morning and five in the evening during the month of November, December, January and February; between the hours of five in the morning and seven in the evening during the months of March, April, September and October; and between the hours of four in the morning and nine in the evening during the months of May, June, July and August, nor on any Sunday, Christmas Day or Good Friday without the consent of the Company's superintendent for the time being.

Quite specific. 

Edited by magnetman

1 hour ago, Goliath said:

If it’s made of steel why not get a magnet on it, or even a kids fishing  net ?

I don’t understand the extra work and cost of go getting one without attempting to retrieve it first. 

My experience with a big magnet was that it affixed itself to a big boat.

• Haha 1

I dropped the clevis pin to a D shackle into the Thames at Oxford whilst adjusting my bow fender, and finally found a use for the Sea Searcher I've had aboard for 20 years.

I unfurled the Sea Searcher and after half an hour of using it unsuccessfully casting it into about 6ft depth of water I gave up, imagining it only works in the sea not in rivers.

But then I decided to have one last final cast of it into the murky water and bingo, got the clevis pin. Amazing! 

80p saved!