What's the cheapest fully fitted brand new narrowboat?

Bishop Brennan

Featured Posts

6 hours ago, Bishop Brennan said:

I'm interested in the smaller end of brand new narrowboats, around 35ft, and can't seem to find anything, and when I do, prices aren't listed. 

Is it possible to find such a boat for about £50-60k?

I would be wary of that strategy as you could hit two major problems.

High depreciation in early years.

Poor quality if the builder is cutting corners, leaving you with higher maintenance eg using an engine which is renowned for high cost spares. 

With that sort of money you might find a well fitted out second hand boat with bells and whistles.

I know Aintree Boats produce one called The Beetle, ask them how much it is as standard. I believe their approach is standardisation of design, which means they can run a production line which is more economical.

In the meantime try to identify your requirements, a day boat or summer cruising only might be fine with one type of heating, but for winter warmth, you might want a small solid fuel stove or an oil fired stove or a diesel heating heating system. Gas is out of favour due to running costs.

I assume you want it fitted out, rather than a sail away. 

Apollo Duck will often have examples of good small boats, and you can work backwards from them to your budget.

I've had a look, and some smaller second hand boats , including those of a fair age are over £35K, so you won't get anything new, and fitted out for £50K. 

Edited by LadyG

What's the cheapest fully fitted brand new narrowboat?  

Answer:-  A poor deal.

Better to buy nearly new and avoid the initial depreciation, get better quality, and all the bugs ironed out.

Cheapest is always poor value.

• Greenie 3

Go and have a look at Aintree Beetle. Yes they are built on a sort of production line but you get a Beta engine fitted by a Beta approved engineer, Victron electronics, the electrics fitted by an independent qualified electrician and you can visit your boat in build any time you like.

Here's one moored behind us last year who had travelled down the Nene and across the tidal link at Salters Lode.

IMG_20220727_115059772.jpg

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

I would be wary of that strategy as you could hit two major problems.

High depreciation in early years.

Poor quality if the builder is cutting corners

Hmm, perhaps...but the youngest Springers, which were certainly at the budget end of the market, are now almost 40 years old and they're still frequently seen around our waterways.

However, a recent second-hand boat probably does represent better value, if the O.P. can find one that's to his liking.

Just now, Athy said:

Hmm, perhaps...but the youngest Springers, which were certainly at the budget end of the market, are now almost 40 years old and they're still frequently seen around our waters

Yes, the Springer Survivors. However times have moved on. I remember buying my first house in 1972 and all it had in the kitchen was a sink, one six foot worktop  a small one off cupboard and a few PowerPoints. The floor was concrete covered in thermoplastic tiles.

13 minutes ago, Bee said:

I think I saw one of these a few weeks ago and couldn't fault it. Don't know what it goes like and an outboard would not be my first choice but I thought it was an impressive little boat.

They offer inboard options too: their web site mentions a Beta 16h.p. diesel, with other sizes available.

10 minutes ago, Bee said:

I think I saw one of these a few weeks ago and couldn't fault it. Don't know what it goes like and an outboard would not be my first choice but I thought it was an impressive little boat.

They offer 16-30hp Beta inboard or 15-20hp Honda outboards. The hulls of the inboard versions are a couple of feet longer, but as you don't have an outboard hanging off the back the overall length is probably little different.

http://www.littleboatco.co.uk/engine.html

• Greenie 1

17 minutes ago, Bee said:

Judging from the website they seem really sweet and compact boats. Company also seems to do an inboard version, shown on 'The end result' page. I guess that the big advantage in such a small boat of having an outboard is that you release the under deck area for other uses, like quarter berths.

eta: sorry, just repeating the two previous posts. Too slow at typing!

Edited by BilgePump
  • Greenie 1

12 hours ago, Bishop Brennan said:

I'm interested in the smaller end of brand new narrowboats, around 35ft, and can't seem to find anything, and when I do, prices aren't listed. 

Is it possible to find such a boat for about £50-60k?

Off Topic :offtopic:  I just had to comment on the Name and the avatar - Bishop Brennan - brilliant. 🤣

44 minutes ago, jonathanA said:

Off Topic :offtopic:  I just had to comment on the Name and the avatar - Bishop Brennan - brilliant. 🤣

I need a reliable boat to get me of this godforsaken island quick, and Ted's spent all the funds!

Thanks all for your replies so far. I had noted Aintree Beetles, but their prices are missing from their website, and I wanted to gauge opinion on them before making enquiries. 

Thing is, I'm quite overwhelmed at all the potential pitfalls of buying secondhand. There seem to be so many potential horrors, such as tens of thousands of pounds of overplating that might need doing, potential fraud, surveys and surveyors being potentially worthless, incompetent, or outright corrupt, complete exploitation of n00bs, etc etc. 

So I'm exploring the options. I was contemplating a Sea Otter aluminium boat (second hand obviously). Then the idea of a brand new boat popped into my head, which, I wondered about, especially as I'm looking for a smaller boat, I wondered if the cost was in my quoted ballpark. 

That nearly new Beetle looks interesting, as does the Little Boat Co. 

Edited by Bishop Brennan

1 hour ago, Bishop Brennan said:

Thanks all for your replies so far. I had noted Aintree Beetles, but their prices are missing from their website, and I wanted to gauge opinion on them before making enquiries. 

I think the only reason prices are missing is due to steel and timber prices changing so quickly. 

I need a reliable boat to get me of this godforsaken island quick, and Ted's spent all the funds!

Thing is, I'm quite overwhelmed at all the potential pitfalls of buying secondhand. There seem to be so many potential horrors, such as tens of thousands of pounds of overplating that might need doing, potential fraud, surveys and surveyors being potentially worthless, incompetent, or outright corrupt, complete exploitation of n00bs, etc etc. 

So I'm exploring the options. I was contemplating a Sea Otter aluminium boat (second hand obviously). Then the idea of a brand new boat popped into my head, which, I wondered about, especially as I'm looking for a smaller boat, I wondered if the cost was in my quoted ballpark. 

That nearly new Beetle looks interesting, as does the Little Boat Co. 

There are also potential pitfalls into buying new which can cost tens of thousands of pounds. It is not unknown for the builder to cease trading before the boat is completed and his creditors to take everything not specifically owned by customers, such as shells, engines etc.

If you do buy a new boat, try to use a builder who doesn't demand payment (except for a holding deposit) until completion, but there are few of those now. Ensure that you pay any stage payments only after inspection of progress (preferably by a surveyor commissioned by you) and that they are receipited, and get receipts for engines and other major items which include serial numbers so that if he goes bust you can provide evidence that you have paid for stage payments and major items.

Edited by cuthound
Clarification

A completely different concept I used to put forward is to buy second hand, and remember that in doing so you are as much buying the previous owner as you are buying the boat. Don't shell out £ks on surveyors etc. Instead, closely assess the character and personality of the seller and draw conclusions from that assessment about how he or she will have looked after the boat during their stewardship of it. You'll probably be right, whatever you decide about them. People generally match their boats remarkably closely.

<Tin hat on now!>

1 hour ago, cuthound said:

If you do buy a new boat, try to use a builder who doesn't demand payment (except for a holding deposit) until completion,

I just saw a builder who is selling a build slot for £2k. It's on ebay Surely that's not the norm?

48 minutes ago, MtB said:

A completely different concept I used to put forward is to buy second hand, and remember that in doing so you are as much buying the previous owner as you are buying the boat. Don't shell out £ks on surveyors etc. Instead, closely assess the character and personality of the seller and draw conclusions from that assessment about how he or she will have looked after the boat during their stewardship of it. You'll probably be right, whatever you decide about them. People generally match their boats remarkably closely.

<Tin hat on now!>

I know precisely what you mean. I wholeheartedly use this principle in the rest of my life. I've always found it bang on.

I can understand your concerns about buying older boats- possible engine issues, overplating, etc, and potentially many hours of repairs and associated bills.

I'm not mechanically competent, so my approach was to prioritise getting the newest boat possible within my budget, in the hope of avoiding problems for as long as possible.

That was back in 2020 and I think prices were lower, but I paid a bit over 50k for a 6 year old boat, 50ft long and with low engine hours.

Nothing fancy- just a bog standard Liverpool boat, but it floats and it drives, and its reasonably comfortable. 

I thought about the Beetle range, but I wanted the 40ft model, and it was a bit above my budget- plus I really didnt like the layout, and they weren't able to alter it, even when I offered more money to do that. 

If you are ok with living on a smaller boat, and you want to avoid potential issues, I'm wondering if it might be worth considering a 32ft GRP cruiser? 

This example is from 1990 but with GRP the hull can last longer before giving you problems, and its only 20k, so the budget would allow for a lot of internal updating and maybe even a new engine. 

I reckon a viking 32cc has as much interior space as some 45ft narrowboats, and there are often better examples than that one to be found. 

https://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/boat/1990-viking-32-8599741/

or maybe:

https://www.rightboat.com/boats-for-sale/viking/32ft-centre-cockpit-called-whomping-willow/rb451628

Edited by Tony1

@Tony1 Thank you. Yes, I'm certainly considering GRP boats - I've also read through threads debating the pros and cons of GRP vs Steel, so am aware of the pitfalls of GRP. However, it's difficult to find one with a diesel engine, a 6ft 10in beam, and with decent heating and insulation, as I'm looking to live year round on it, and want access to as much of the network as possible. I'm sure such a boat exists, or could exist if I'm prepared to modify it myself.

I found what I think is a GRP narrowboat on ebay earlier. A 32ft Dawncraft Roamer. I never realised such boats existed. It's only £12k, although I can only imagine the issues one would have with it. Was wondering how much it would cost to convert to diesel and bring it up to scratch as a viable live-aboard. Probably way too much. 

Edited by Bishop Brennan

12 minutes ago, Bishop Brennan said:

@Tony1 Thank you. Yes, I'm certainly considering GRP boats - I've also read through threads debating the pros and cons of GRP vs Steel, so am aware of the pitfalls of GRP. However, it's difficult to find one with a diesel engine, a 6ft 10in beam, and with decent heating and insulation, as I'm looking to live year round on it, and want access to as much of the network as possible. I'm sure such a boat exists, or could exist if I'm prepared to modify it myself.

I found what I think is a GRP narrowboat on ebay earlier. A 32ft Dawncraft Roamer. I never realised such boats existed. It's only £12k, although I can only imagine the issues one would have with it. Was wondering how much it would cost to convert to diesel and bring it up to scratch as a viable live-aboard. Probably way too much. 

Apologies if this is repeating stuff you already know, but maybe worth a mention- there are actually some positive aspects to using a petrol powered outboard compared to an inboard diesel.

For one thing, if it fails you buy another one for maybe £3k or £4k (used for much less), and you hang it on the stern.

So you're not paying £9,000 for a new engine and/or gearbox installation. 

The other thing is that there are hundreds of petrol stations to be found within a few hundred yards of the cut, so you are never going to be stranded - there's never any real problem getting hold of petrol if you can cycle a mile or two (although apparently you are limited to 10 litres at a time if using a jerrycan). 

The viking 23cc is a narrow beam and goes anywhere a narrowboat will go, so no issue there. 

There are some downsides I dont like about GRPs, and one of the most worrying is the issue of being hit by narrowboats in very popular places like the Llangollen canal (I was hit twice in the summer of 2021). 

But its an interesting option, and one which I would personally consider in future years, as I get less fit and strong. 

I suspect I'd find it a lot easier to haul a GRP boat to a stop than I would a 57ft steel narrowboat, as an example. 

Edited by Tony1

23 minutes ago, Bishop Brennan said:

I'm looking to live year round on it,

For a liveaboard you really want more space than you need on a holiday boat. An Aintree Beetle or anything of similar size (including grp narrow beam cruisers) will very soon feel cramped. Virtually no storage, beds which need to be made up each night and folded away during the daytime, tiny kitchen and bathroom, perhaps inadequate space heating and water heating, especially in winter or if you are moored up for several days. You could well do better looking at a larger second hand boat for the same sort of money.

• Greenie 2