Widebeam stuck, Union Canal, Edinburgh

AllanD

Featured Posts

10 minutes ago, George and Dragon said:

I was cycling home from walk on Thursday. 

Great reporting. Not even read by human to check it makes sense.

Yes, that's one of the bits to which I was alluding, and it's not the only one. Apart from anything else, did the paper have to rely on a third-person report? Did they not have the wit to send a reporter along to the bridge to have a look and to talk to the boat's owner?

It looks as if either the boat or the bridge is not "fit for purpose" - and the bridge has been there for quite a wee while, which narrows (if you get my drift) it down a bit.

Perhaps the authorities could blow the boat up, thereby achieving the dual results of improving its appearance and clearing the obstruction.

46 minutes ago, Athy said:

Oh dear, it's not a good advert for the standard opf local paper reporting.

But worth it for the word "shuggle".

Reach group “newspaper”, they trawl local Facebook groups for stories, employ monkeys (no offence @tree monkey) as “reporters”, never use spellcheck or read through their work, and their pages are so ad-heavy they will stop a mobile browser in it’s tracks.

In fact whilst getting the below screenshot it completely froze Chrome on my iPad to the point i had to soft restart it :( 

image.png.a929f770defc9d97d70b63c93d6883fa.png

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

“reporters”, never use spellcheck or read through their work, and their pages are so ad-heavy they will stop a mobile browser in it’s tracks.

Are you a reporter?

Whatever the issue with overall width, another "interesting" feature is that bizarre forward end of the cabin which actually looks like kit has "tumble-out" rather than tumblehome.

Even if they can navigate this bridge, (which looks unlikely?), it can surely only be a matter of time before one of those cabin corners collides with something very solid.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, alan_fincher said:

Whatever the issue with overall width, another "interesting" feature is that bizarre forward end of the cabin which actually looks like kit has "tumble-out" rather than tumblehome.

Even if they can navigate this bridge, (which looks unlikely?), it can surely only be a matter of time before one of those cabin corners collides with something very solid.

A lot of them around -- like this one, seen near me. And then there's the chimney... 😞

hideous solar wideboat.jpg

Edited by IanD

Almost comical. Presumably they won't be continuous cruisers.

It reminds me of a colleague who had a new house built. Rather than have the standard inbuilt wardrobes he made the mistake of ordering fitted bedroom furniture for the master bedroom based on the builder's plans. They were too big. The developer insisted that the brickies were working to a tolerance of 3 inches and he was unlucky. 

1 hour ago, alan_fincher said:

Laziness on the part of the fabricator. Use a standard rectangular sheet for the cabin roof then just pull in the bottom corners of the cabin sides to meet the line of the hull.

One could argue such craft are not fit for the waterway and so should not be licenceable, unless restricted to sections with no arched bridges (or drawbridges).

31 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Laziness on the part of the fabricator. Use a standard rectangular sheet for the cabin roof then just pull in the bottom corners of the cabin sides to meet the line of the hull.

One could argue such craft are not fit for the waterway and so should not be licenceable, unless restricted to sections with no arched bridges (or drawbridges).

What's the excuse for the abomination I posted then? Never mind the chimney... 😞

Edited by IanD