C W Boatmover

Disused Account

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, M_JG said:

Not sure why the address is so important TBH. The boat mover that moved my boat in 2015 lived on a boat (and as far as I know he didn't and still  doesn't have an 'onshore' address). As everything was done by either phone or email I had no need to contact him via. snail mail.

It never occurred to me to ask what, if any shore based address he might have.

Hi 👋🏻 

I totally understand you, but apparently it’s being made an issue by keyboard warriors. 

That’s life eh, try something out. Get shot down. And move on. 😊 

• Greenie 3

1 minute ago, M_JG said:

Not sure why the address is so important TBH. The boat mover that moved my boat in 2015 lived on a boat (and as far as I know he didn't and still  doesn't have an 'onshore' address). As everything was done by either phone or email I had no need to contact him via. snail mail.

It never occurred to me to ask what, if any shore based address he might have.

It clearly isn't a problem to those that have used his services. Now he is established, with a good reputation, an address (which can easily be faked) is not worth the website its written on.

56 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

OK do you need permission to post an advertisement about someone else? 

If you do I have breached that requirement many times, including when I have recommended @matty40s as a boat mover.

Edit - damn it, just done it again. 

Edited by M_JG

25 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

As I said earlier, with your own website and domain, anyone can do a "Who is" look up online and work back to get the address the domain is registered to. Now try that with virtually any sites like Facebook. Even the police have difficulty getting such info out of such sites when a crime has actually been committed, so how will you fare with no actual crime, but are just trying to protect your tens of thousands of pounds of boat. Such sites do not have an impeccable record of taking down scammers.

It was not just the lack of website, it was also using an address for a totally different business with no indication it is an accommodation address. As it stood earlier, I think it had all the hallmarks of a possible scam. If that is the impression the OP wants to give then fair enough, but I don't think it is and a little more work would largely remove that impression.

It is only a simple check box when registering a domain to block having your personal details display on a whois lookup so not really a valid check on whether something is real or not.

Again we see a new member being rapidly exposed to the worst of the forum.  It really isn't surprising that some find it unwelcoming.

It was fine to raise a query about the OP's bona fides, but for two posters to then divert into a childish spat (before the OP even had a chance to reply) was puerile.  Unless the mods clamp down a bit harder I fear others may leave.

If I recall correctly it was C W Boatmover who was spotted moving Miles Away from Dunchurch to Wigrams a few months back; which (even if many disagree with the boat itself on that bit of canal) does show some ability.

• Greenie 4

14 minutes ago, Cheese said:

Again we see a new member being rapidly exposed to the worst of the forum.  It really isn't surprising that some find it unwelcoming.

It was fine to raise a query about the OP's bona fides, but for two posters to then divert into a childish spat (before the OP even had a chance to reply) was puerile.  Unless the mods clamp down a bit harder I fear others may leave.

Unfortunately that isn't quite an accurate representation of what happened.

The problems started when the OP's integrity was called into question and continued even after I provided the requisite information from the CRT website. Now yes I could have left the OP to 'defend himself' but as a new member on here I felt it appropriate to offer some support. The calling into question of the use of a so called 'fake' address continued even when I as a none boater suggested there may be a perfectly valid reason (it was a Post Office). This was subsequently confirmed as correct by Connor.

The posts in question are still there to see for anybody that wishes to check.

Yes unfortunately it did degenerate after that but it won't happen again with that particular poster because I won't be responding to him again.

Edited by M_JG

21 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Welcome to the forum.

If your business is working fine with the address as it is, I wouldn't change it because of a few fools on here. I've seen the comments left on FB by people whose boats you've moved and I've never yet seen a bad one.

There are a few on here whose only role is to stir up an argument - usually they are corralled in the politics ghetto but they seem to have got bored with insulting each other there and have come to the general section for a bit of fun. Ignore them, we do, usually.

A lot of them don't actually have boats, or much to fill their dull lives in other ways, which explains a lot, really. It's always worse in winter, too.

but a lot of the comments are by Connor Rhys Cudlipp

Now i am no detective but i would say that is C W Boatmover blowing his own trumpet

6 minutes ago, Tonka said:

Now i am no detective but i would say that is C W Boatmover blowing his own trumpet

I think he came here quite openly to promote  his company unfortunately not checking the forum rules first

• Greenie 2

23 minutes ago, Tonka said:

Are there two Connors then? Connor Warner and Connor Rhys Cudlipp? I'm easily confused.

48 minutes ago, C W Boatmover said:

Thanks all for your advice and wisdom 😊 

As I live onboard my own Narrowboat with my young family and Mrs, using the Post Office was the best way to collect my mail as I don’t have any family (or many friends 👀) in that area. 

I take the information I’ve received and will work something out, I gather the address seems an issue for a lot of you. 

I will look to get that address changed, but as I’m sure you’ll appreciate when applying for Trade Plates it was deemed acceptable by the CRT

Thanks all 😊 

It’s not a scam, I was just checking to see if this is the place for it to join in with the community and from what I’ve seen, perhaps not! 😂 

I accept the fact I made a mistake by posting an Ad in the first place… not again. 

Take care folk 👋🏻 

Firstly, I in no way said it was a scam, but that the way things developed earlier on gave the impression that it might be.  That is what you need to guard against. I would have thought. As for the comments about people criticizing your efforts who do not have boats or are old, all I can ask is what happens if one of those members get asked by for advice by someone. Going by the first few posts, my reply would be "look elsewhere, I am not sure this one is legit". A website should give you the opportunity on your "contact" page to show why you are using an accommodation address. Maybe along the lines of "my mooring has no postal service so please use........"

Having set up my own business, related to boating, some years ago, I have some experience in this area. Of course, word of mouth is the finest publicity, but I would be wary about social media that seems to have very lax moderation. A vexatious, online campaign against you could be very damaging because as far as I can see it would be available for all to read, and it may be very difficult to get it taken down. When Facebook etc proliferated, my decision was that such risks were too great. I would suggest that a website with free information on things like boat handling techniques for new boaters may well give you more credibility.

26 minutes ago, Tonka said:

And a lot are by the people whose boat he moved, who I'm sure would be the first to mention it if he'd sunk their boat.

Are you suggesting that someone running a business shouldn't try to boost it a  bit? Speaking as someone who not only blows his own trumpet (well, cornet, really) but has spent years using FB to promote my business, I can't see much other use for it (FB that is). It's basically there to advertise stuff. It makes its money by selling advertising space;  anyone who can uses it for free for the same purpose.

• Greenie 2

The problem with Facebook as Tony has indicated is the lack of accountability and the fact it's full of half wits who either cannot read  or are just not very bright.

As an example  - Last night somebody on our village Facebook page launched a really mean spirited attack on our local Evri courier driver. It turns out they got completely the wrong person and maligned her on the basis of experiences with the previous incumbent.

Fortunately a small number of us corrected him, but has he apologised to her? And acknowledged his error, has he heck. And the comment remains because neither the site admin nor the poster in question have deleted it.

Another - There is a new re-opened pub in the village. They put an innocuous post on about regularly cleaning their beer lines to promote the beers and lagers they have on sale.

Up pops comments from various idiots saying things like 'beer lines should be cleaned weekly - not just regularly and other negative stuff trying to put them in a bad light and make them look as they don't know what they are doing, great help (not) to a a new business trying to get some trade in very negative market conditions.

Edited by M_JG

3 minutes ago, M_JG said:

The problem with Facebook as Tony has indicated is the lack of accountability and the fact it's full of half wits who either cannot read  or are just not very bright.

As an example  - Last night somebody on our village Facebook page launched a really mean spirited attack on our local Evri courier driver. It turns out they got completely the wrong person and maligned her on the basis of experiences with the previous incumbent.

Fortunately a small number of us corrected him, but has he apologised to her? And acknowledged his error, has he heck. And the comment remains because neither the site admin nor the poster in question have deleted it.

I also think it is full of idiots who just want to stir up trouble for their own amusement. The brighter they are, the more dangerous to an enterprise.

2 hours ago, David Mack said:

How many times have we had advice on here to potential liveaboards that you need a postal address for a few official purpose, but that you don't ever need to use it because everything can be done online and by phone these days?

How many times has that advice been handed out to people known to be running a bona fide business as well as living aboard? 

If Mr C W Boatmover lives aboard, then he should jolly well say so to his customers not try to conceal the fact, in my personal opinion, having run a small business for 45 years myself. 

6 minutes ago, MtB said:

How many times has that advice been handed out to people known to be running a bona fide business as well as living aboard? 

If Mr C W Boatmover lives aboard, then he should jolly well say so to his customers not try to conceal the fact, in my personal opinion, having run a small business for 45 years myself. 

Why are you assuming he doesnt?

I think it would actually be a selling point.

5 minutes ago, MtB said:

I get the impression he was not intentionally trying to conceal that he is living aboard, I just think he may not appreciate just how suspicious people, particularly older people, have become since the advent of the likes of Facebook

3 minutes ago, M_JG said:

Why are you assuming he doesnt?

I think it would actually be a selling point.

He doesn't what?

The fact is intentionally or unintentionally did seem to conceal it was not his proper address.

3 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

He doesn't what?

Doesnt let customers know he lives on a boat.

OK his entry on the CRT website gives the address of a post office but the reason for that has been explained.

I honestly cant believe so much is being made of this issue. As I said earlier I never considered it necessary to check with either Matty or Nigel as to whether they lived in a house, an igloo or a tepee.

I just wanted the person who was moving our boat to be competent and have a decent reputation. In this case both boxes seem to be being ticked.

Just now, rusty69 said:

I suspect telling people you live on a boat whilst away moving someone else's may not be the smartest thing to do 

How curious. I'd have thought it would raise the OP's credibility as a boat mover enormously! 

• Greenie 1

15 minutes ago, M_JG said:

Doesnt let customers know he lives on a boat.

OK his entry on the CRT website gives the address of a post office but the reason for that has been explained.

I honestly cant believe so much is being made of this issue. As I said earlier I never considered it necessary to check with either Matty or Nigel as to whether they lived in a house, an igloo or a tepee.

I just wanted the person who was moving our boat to be competent and have a decent reputation. In this case both boxes seem to be being ticked.

I take it that you are aware that if he is a registered company, as he implied in his first post, then by not disclosing the address of his registered office is an offence. I really do not think that an accommodation address would suffice unless the Coop is his registered office. That is enough to raise suspicions. I very much doubt he is a registered company so that law does not apply, but he did seem to attempt to pass his business off as a registered company.

This is NOT about where he lives, but is about not being misleading. Again, I feel that was not his intention, but it was the result of being less than forthcoming in his Facebook advert that was the result.

2 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

I take it that you are aware that if he is a registered company, as he implied in his first post, then by not disclosing the address of his registered office is an offence.

For many. many, small (and large) companies the 'Registered office" will be their accountants or their legal advisors.

It does not have to be their place of work.

• Greenie 1