C W Boatmover

Disused Account

Featured Posts

4 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

For many. many, small (and large) companies the 'Registered office" will be their accountants or their legal advisors.

It does not have to be their place of work.

As you well know, it is the address where legal documents can be served on the company and the court will accept that said documents have been correctly served. 

So it doesn't have to be the address where the company carries out its day-to-day business. In fact the office of its lawyers or accountants is a particularly appropriate address to use as registered office. 

5 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

For many. many, small (and large) companies the 'Registered office" will be their accountants or their legal advisors.

It does not have to be their place of work.

I know that, and I can see no reason the Coop could not be a registered office, apart from the fact I have never heard that they offer this service.

9 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

I take it that you are aware that if he is a registered company, as he implied in his first post, then by not disclosing the address of his registered office is an offence. I really do not think that an accommodation address would suffice unless the Coop is his registered office. That is enough to raise suspicions. I very much doubt he is a registered company so that law does not apply, but he did seem to attempt to pass his business off as a registered company.

This is NOT about where he lives, but is about not being misleading. Again, I feel that was not his intention, but it was the result of being less than forthcoming in his Facebook advert that was the result.

I'll leave you to it Tony.

Talking about getting into something illeagal is just silly.

2 minutes ago, MtB said:

As you well know, it is the address where legal documents can be served on the company and the court will accept that said documents have been correctly served. 

So it doesn't have to be the address where the company carries out its day-to-day business. In fact the office of its lawyers or accountants is a particularly appropriate address to use as registered office. 

And a local Coop is almost certainly not appropriate.

3 hours ago, David Mack said:

How many times have we had advice on here to potential liveaboards that you need a postal address for a few official purpose, but that you don't ever need to use it because everything can be done online and by phone these days?

It is amazing the number of even large companies that use a different address to where they actually trade.

Just now, M_JG said:

I'll leave you to it Tony.

Talking about getting into something illeagal is just silly.

Is it? He passed himself off as a registered company, he does not seem to have given the address of his registered office as required of a registered company. Now explain why doing that is not illegal.

As I said, I doubt he is a registered company, so the address can be anything he chooses, but passing himself off as a registered company is not very bright and could conceivably lead to further problems. It is all to do with language, and using words other than company would be a good idea. Try substituting the word "business" and the company thing disappears.

6 hours ago, MtB said:

The bit that puzzles me is why MJG as a banned poster has been allowed to re-register here and carry on with his low-level goading behaviour so well illustrated in this thread. 

Back in the day I proposed that banned posters should be allowed to re-register a new ID and the new ID allowed to carry on, provided it behaved itself. But a mod weighed in (or I think it might have been Dan himself) telling me the policy is that the persons themselves are banned, not their user IDs. So any new doppel ID would not be allowed either.

M_JG seems to have managed to breach this ruling while others have been refused the chance to come back. 

he only goads you, thought you had him on ignore?

perhaps any member who in a hissy fit announces their own ‘going’ and bans themselves should also have to reregister in order to ‘return’ 🤣

Edited by Goliath

4 minutes ago, Graham Davis said:

It is amazing the number of even large companies that use a different address to where they actually trade.

True, but as long as it is their registered office it is fine, and the address they do use would be a professional outfit offering that service and would also have a contract to provide that service.

I simply think the OP had not thought about the ramifications of passing himself off as a company and following that, using that address.

2 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Is it? He passed himself off as a registered company, he does not seem to have given the address of his registered office as required of a registered company. Now explain why doing that is not illegal.

As I said, I doubt he is a registered company, so the address can be anything he chooses, but passing himself off as a registered company is not very bright and could conceivably lead to further problems. It is all to do with language, and using words other than company would be a good idea. Try substituting the word "business" and the company thing disappears.

The thing is, for people who know little or nothing about company law or running a business, the differences seem nit-picking and trivial. For people who know the subject or run their own businesses, the differences are vast and critically important. Everything changes between the status of a company and a business based around self-employment or partnership. Paradoxically, the customers are arguably better protected if they buy from an individual than a company. 

Business taxation in particular is different for companies and individuals. 

• Greenie 1

20 minutes ago, MtB said:

British Airways address is a PO Box somewhere

1 minute ago, Graham Davis said:

The Post Office could well be appropraite .

How? 

Any notices arriving addressed to a random company at a post office branch address are as likely to go straight in the bin! 

Unless a legitimate Post Restante service has been purchased. But even then I have my doubts that is acceptable under company law.

1 minute ago, MtB said:

How? 

Any notices arriving addressed to a random company at a post office branch address are as likely to go straight in the bin! 

Unless a legitimate Post Restante service has been purchased. But even then I have my doubts that is acceptable under company law.

And how do you know they haven't set that up? 
You don't.

11 minutes ago, Goliath said:

he only goads you, thought you had him on ignore?

perhaps any member who in a hissy fit announces their own ‘going’ and bans themselves should also have to reregister in order to ‘return’ 🤣

The really funny thing is he earlier accused me of 'low level goading' and now he is indulging in exactly the same.

You honestly couldnt make it up.

6 minutes ago, Graham Davis said:

And how do you know they haven't set that up? 
You don't.

I don’t think you can purchase a Poste Restante service. 
I understand Poste Restante is a free service for short/temporary use. usually a few weeks, perhaps a month? it’s at the discretion of the Post Office Manager 

Whether you can purchase another service I don’t know, or whether the Post Office kind of ‘turns a blind eye’ with a regular customer is something else. 

but no I don’t believe you can purchase a Poste Restante address. 

3 hours ago, C W Boatmover said:

Hi 👋🏻 

I totally understand you, but apparently it’s being made an issue by keyboard warriors. 

That’s life eh, try something out. Get shot down. And move on. 😊 

I totally agree, and 'Don't let the Barstewards grind you down' mine's a pint 👍

Edited by Smiles