C W Boatmover

Disused Account

Featured Posts

It isn’t the legal status of the business that determines whether you can employ somebody or not.

It’s simply that if you employ someone to assist you then the provisions of the law regarding employers liability insurance comes into play (amongst other things).

That’s generally going to be a restriction for any boat mover but it isn’t an absolute obstacle to engaging assistance.

Edited by Captain Pegg

1 minute ago, Captain Pegg said:

It isn’t the legal status of the business that determines whether you can employ somebody or not.

It’s simply that if you employ someone to assist you then the provisions of the law regarding employers liability insurance comes into play (amongst other things).

That’s generally going to be a restriction for any boat mover but it isn’t an absolute obstacle to engaging assistance.

You can also engage self-employed subcontractors to assist.

Although you and they may be called on to demonstrate that they are genuine freelancers and you are not doing this simply to get round the rules on employment.

38 minutes ago, David Mack said:

You can also engage self-employed subcontractors to assist.

Although you and they may be called on to demonstrate that they are genuine freelancers and you are not doing this simply to get round the rules on employment.

I think that’s how many folk in building trades operate.

It’s broadly what I did when I specifically wanted a second person aboard for a tidal passage.

My son has also assisted me within the provisions that are exempt for requiring employers liability insurance.

The other issue for boat movers is that sub-contracting your work could invalidate your insurance. Mine requires me to be present and in charge of the vessel at all times when under way.

Edited by Captain Pegg

To summarise many issues above, I think the position is as follows. (Although as someone said, perhaps this is just another opinion, which may or may not be right!)

When you register a business with HMRC, which you have to if your turnover is £1000+, you have to declare if you are a sole trader or a company (or a few other options).

If you are a company you have to register with Companies House. but this comes with both setup and ongoing costs. Most companies have limited liability, giving some protection to owners / directors.

Both sole traders and companies can employ, or subcontract as many people as they like.

Even if a sole trader you can legally name your business "the xyz company", because 'company', unlike many other terms, is not a reserved word for business names (although perhaps it should be). But even such a name does not make it (legally) a company, so anyone with such a business should be wary of describing it as such.

21 minutes ago, Cheese said:

To summarise many issues above, I think the position is as follows. (Although as someone said, perhaps this is just another opinion, which may or may not be right!)

When you register a business with HMRC, which you have to if your turnover is £1000+, you have to declare if you are a sole trader or a company (or a few other options).

If you are a company you have to register with Companies House. but this comes with both setup and ongoing costs. Most companies have limited liability, giving some protection to owners / directors.

Both sole traders and companies can employ, or subcontract as many people as they like.

Even if a sole trader you can legally name your business "the xyz company", because 'company', unlike many other terms, is not a reserved word for business names (although perhaps it should be). But even such a name does not make it (legally) a company, so anyone with such a business should be wary of describing it as such.

I don't think it is as complicated as that. The OP put up an advert for his business, and a bit of digging raised questions of integrity/honesty/whatever. These question could make potential customers look elsewhere, so the things that raised those questions were pointed out. That is it, I expect he will address the issues he feels need addressing so all is OK>

37 minutes ago, Cheese said:

The point is, as you say, that you can be a company without being a registered or limited company. If it's a company that isn't registered with Companies House  then whatever you call yourself, you're in fact a sole trader. But there's nothing to stop you calling yourself a company if you employ people or work with others. It's no different from being Dombey and Son.

The only difference between being a sole trader and a limited company is that the sole trader bears the cost if he goes bust, while a limited company just walks away from the debts and starts again. Which is the more responsible  behaviour? Arguably,  the first.

Anyone who sees company or limited in the  name and thinks it implies reliability is deluded, as any fule kno, apart apparently from several on here, who seem to think it does.

So why all this grief about the  use of the word? Boredom, I suspect, and the usual internet joy of having a go at someone who,  because he's busy earning a living (unlike his critics), hasn't got the  time or energy to indulge in endless arguments.

There are more questions than answers. And the more I find out the less I know.

One thing I have lernt from reading this thread, so far. Is that if I ever need a boat moving I will go to the OP, C W Boatmovers, and I couldn't give a FF what 'Pronoun' the 'Firm' uses!

C W Boatmovers have (in my non expert opinion) been honest, open and upfront, I have not had one iota of dealings with C W Boatmovers, but all the 'Qualified Experts' giving their 'Expert Opinion' on 'Company Law' have made me want to use C W Boatmovers if I ever need a boat moving.

I have no 'Qualifications' in company law or boat moving. But I do have an expert available 24/7/365 in most subjects, if any non experts would like to use their service, their services are foc.

Edited by Smiles
  • Greenie 1

6 minutes ago, Smiles said:

One thing I have lernt from reading this thread, so far. Is that if I ever need a boat moving I will go to the OP, C W Boatmovers, and I couldn't give a FF what 'Pronoun' the 'Firm' uses!

C W Boatmovers have (in my non expert opinion) been honest, open and upfront, I have not had one iota of dealings with C W Boatmovers, but all the 'Qualified Experts' giving their 'Expert Opinion' on 'Company Law' have made me want to use C W Boatmovers if I ever need a boat moving.

I have no 'Qualifications' in company law or boat moving, yet.

Good for you.

And all this is why a wiki page on here would be a disaster!

1 minute ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Good for you.

And all this is why a wiki page on here would be a disaster!

Thanks,

If I ever need advice on 'Company Law' I will go to a Narrow Boat web site, and not Google Google and Co. 👍😁

Wiki rules, okay.

13 minutes ago, Smiles said:

I have no 'Qualifications' in company law or boat moving. But I do have an expert available 24/7/365 in most subjects, if any non experts would like to use their service, their services are foc.

Yes. Many of the posts made me simply more inclined to use him.

The only slight problem is we haven't got a boat 😕 😒  but if we ever got one again and that needed moving he would be who we would use now that Matty doesnt appear to do it any longer..

I have met Conor several times while he has been moving boats and from what I have seen I would not hesitate to use him, just like the others  boat movers I have met on this forum who all seem to take care and have to sort problems on route. I have met a couple who I wouldn't even consider.

• Greenie 2

10 minutes ago, M_JG said:

Yes. Many of the posts made me simply more inclined to use him.

The only slight problem is we haven't got a boat 😕 😒  but if we ever got one again and that needed moving he would be who we would use now that Matty doesnt appear to do it any longer..

I haven't got a boat either, yet, but guess who I won't be getting to move it if it needs moving. I have done my 'Due Diligence' and found a boat moving company registered on 'Coumpanys House' it's called 'I will Sink Your Boat, Boat movers & Co, formally known as 'Titanic Boat Movers'. Their company moto is.......

..........Ships don't sink because of the water around them; ships sink because of the water that gets in them.

🤣🤣

13 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I have met Conor several times while he has been moving boats and from what I have seen I would not hesitate to use him, just like the others  boat movers I have met on this forum who all seem to take care and have to sort problems on route. I have met a couple who I wouldn't even consider.

Well said,

New Members like Conor (who I have never met, several times) should be welcomed with open arms, not because he is trying to expand his customer base, but because of the wealth of knowledge, expertise and tips & tricks he could bring to a Narrow Boating forum web site, I'm sure if asked a direct question he would give an expert answer, and if he didn't know the answer he would not try to BS his way out of it, 👍's right up to C W Boatmovers & Conor.

Was on the good ship (or Narrow Boat) Venus By Christ, ya should've seen us The figurehead was.........

5 minutes ago, Smiles said:

I'm sure if asked a direct question he would give an expert answer, and if he didn't know the answer he would not try to BS his way out of it, 👍's right up to C W Boatmovers & Conor.

Hey, that goes against the whole ethos of the forum. The first port of call is always to BS your way out. 

It's the number one tool in my box. 

• Happy 1

13 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Hey, that goes against the whole ethos of the forum. The first port of call is always to BS your way out. 

It's the number one tool in my box. 

Nice one,

Yes, I've used tools from your tool box many a time, but most of them needed repair through lack of use, and they're all in my tool box now. 🤣🤣

Friggin' in the riggin' Friggin' in the riggin' Friggin' in the riggin'
There was nothing else to do.

Edited by Smiles

Just now, Smiles said:

Nice one,

Yes, I've used tools from your tool box many a time, but most of them needed repair through lack of use, and they're all in my tool box now. 🤣🤣

Mine aren't as sharp as they once were. Some of them are pretty rusty. 

• Greenie 1

13 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Mine aren't as sharp as they once were. Some of them are pretty rusty. 

So, what your trying to say is, you just can't 'cut' it anymore.

The boy stood on the burning deck Whence all but he had fled –
The twit!...............Spike M.

Edited by Smiles
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

I've only met Conner once when I watched as his dog jumped off and had a crap next to the water point. 

Maybe he got around to cleaning it up later, (Conner, not the dog) but it certainly wasn't his priority at the time. 

• Greenie 1

9 minutes ago, noddyboater said:

I've only met Conner once when I watched as his dog jumped off and had a crap next to the water point. 

Maybe he got around to cleaning it up later, (Conner, not the dog) but it certainly wasn't his priority at the time. 

Shame he didn’t go next to an Elsan point, (the dog not Conner)

On 07/02/2023 at 14:08, David Mack said:

Why do some folk here think that a Facebook page counts for nothing, but a website demonstrates bona fides? Either can be set up by anybody, quickly and at little or no cost, and neither is vetted by any authority. Same with a small ad in a newspaper, magazine or online advertising site, or for that matter a postcard in the corner shop window.

Anyone thinking of using the OP's services would of course be advised to do some checking before parting with any money (or their boat's keys), but that is no different to doing business with any other small trader you haven't used before.

The OP has offered a service that may be of use to folk here, and he has asked for Admin approval to do so. I can't quite see why so many posters have taken against him.

This

I'd go further and say that Facebook is marginally better (it's possible to create a whole bunch of realistic looking accounts with lots of friends saying nice things about your services, but it's a lot of effort, and if you rip people off, they tend to turn up in all the Facebook discussion groups complaining about you). On the other hand, anybody can buy a .com with privacy box ticked and set up a professional looking website. I imagine Facebook is also much more useful for small boating businesses in getting referrals (if they're good)

FWIW think I met someone who said "I'm CW Boatmoving on Facebook" moving a boat (at a normal speed!) on the Great Ouse last year. Seemed a nice guy. 

1 minute ago, enigmatic said:

This

I'd go further and say that Facebook is marginally better (it's possible to create a whole bunch of realistic looking accounts with lots of friends saying nice things about your services, but it's a lot of effort, and if you rip people off, they tend to turn up in all the Facebook discussion groups complaining about you). On the other hand, anybody can buy a .com with privacy box ticked and set up a professional looking website. I imagine Facebook is also much more useful for small boating businesses in getting referrals (if they're good)

FWIW think I met someone who said "I'm CW Boatmoving on Facebook" moving a boat (at a normal speed!) on the Great Ouse last year. Seemed a nice guy. 

Professional websites with apparently good customer ratings/reviews/comments are also often deceptive -- I know of one large furniture retailer which simply removes strongly negative ones... 😞