The Custom Boat company...

MtB

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, matty40s said:

Attention to detail..no fairleads will result in no paint pretty quickly

Sockets without USB slots....come on, its 2023 now...

TBH I wouldn't be too fussed about lack of fairleads as they are rarely right.....and the quiescent current draw of inbuilt usb outlets in 240v sockets can be frightening especially when you have a few outlets running from the inverter.

There are much worse issues....the lack of tumblehome on the shell....the very cheap fit out....the layout.....i could go on!

1 hour ago, frangar said:

TBH I wouldn't be too fussed about lack of fairleads as they are rarely right.....and the quiescent current draw of inbuilt usb outlets in 240v sockets can be frightening especially when you have a few outlets running from the inverter.

There are much worse issues....the lack of tumblehome on the shell....the very cheap fit out....the layout.....i could go on!

You mean it's the sort of boat a boatbuilder with little or no real life experience of handling a boat on the canals would build, and a buyer with no knowledge of what a boat should look like would buy.

A match made in heaven.

13 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

What I noticed about the boat in the other thread was the waste of space around the galley. There is the opportunity to put a wall cupboard on the front bulkhead and another shallower one above the hob.  When you consider storage for saucepans, baking trays, plates, bowls, mugs etc they take up more space that one thinks at first. Then there is storage needed for herbs, spices, condiments, cereals, tinned food and so on.

Then there is the question of accessing low level  drawers and cupboards when age catches up with you. Having frequently used items that you can access without bending or kneeling down, I would have thought was important.

I thought the poster in that thread said they had lots of storage space, I am afraid I do not agree and that is for a holiday boat, far worse for a liveaboard.

Fixed the keyboard  error for you Tony.

14 hours ago, matty40s said:

I reckon theyve built one boat...the one in the photographs. The team may have many years of working with narrowboats and other boats, but this is the first one from this company.

The more I think about it and look at the website I would agree.

To me it seems to me the story goes something like this:

The marina has capacity to build boats but they don't want to go to the expense of employing the necessary "team" until they know things will work.

So they set up the company in May 2020.

Then using spare time and time when the marina is quiet they build this boat.

Now they are testing the market in any way they can think of.

Well that is how things come over to me.

Edited by Jerra
  • Greenie 2

2 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Fixed the keyboard  error for you Tony.

I find Tony's weird and wonderful spelling keeps the reader on his toes so to speak, so I'd not dare to intervene, it adds character to the forum :)

1 hour ago, Jerra said:

The more I think about it and look at the website I would agree.

To me it seems to me the story goes something like this:

The marina has capacity to build boats but they don't want to go to the expense of employing the necessary "team" until they know things will work.

So they set up the company in May 2020.

Then using spare time and time when the marina is quiet they build this boat.

Now they are testing the market in any way they can think of.

Well that is how things come over to me.

Quite probably; as narrowboats aren't generally a mass-produced product, is that not how may boatbuilders (or to be more accurate, boatfitters) start out?

I wonder if they have actually sold this lone (?) boat yet.

21 minutes ago, Athy said:

Quite probably; as narrowboats aren't generally a mass-produced product, is that not how may boatbuilders (or to be more accurate, boatfitters) start out?

I wonder if they have actually sold this lone (?) boat yet.

Everyone starts with just building 'one'.

'A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step'

Source Tao Te Ching,

I know this is  heresy but I quite like the interior colours and the style!

But when it comes to narrowboats I am admittedly a philistine's philistine. I don't even need to feel as if I'm inside a boat. My priority is a sense of space and light, where feasible. 

The things I'm not keen on are the more functional things, like I'd prefer a 2000 watt inverter, space for a small washing machine, a good spec battery charging system, large water tank etc.... and yes, I'll commit sacrilege on top of heresy- lithium batteries! 

3 minutes ago, Tony1 said:

I know this is  heresy but I quite like the interior colours and the style!

But when it comes to narrowboats I am admittedly a philistine's philistine. I don't even need to feel as if I'm inside a boat. My priority is a sense of space and light, where feasible. 

The things I'm not keen on are the more functional things, like I'd prefer a 2000 watt inverter, space for a small washing machine, a good spec battery charging system, large water tank etc.... and yes, I'll commit sacrilege on top of heresy- lithium batteries! 

Never mind all that, I like a boat that is 'handsome' to look at, pleasing to the eye, one I'm pleased to point at in a row of boats and say that one is mine!

1 minute ago, MtB said:

Never mind all that, I like a boat that is 'handsome' to look at, pleasing to the eye, one I'm pleased to point at in a row of boats and say that one is mine!

I agree about wanting a boat to look nice on the outside, but then I was a fan of that crazy boat that looked like art deco ocean liner! 😁

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

You say 'potayto', I say 'potaahto'. 

You say 'Lister', I say 'OMFG not that racket again'. 

I'm just kidding, stand down with the pitchforks. 

21 minutes ago, Tony1 said:

I agree about wanting a boat to look nice on the outside, but then I was a fan of that crazy boat that looked like art deco ocean liner! 😁

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

You say 'potayto', I say 'potaahto'. 

You say 'Lister', I say 'OMFG not that racket again'. 

I'm just kidding, stand down with the pitchforks. 

How did you know about the pitchfork?

Maybe there is a sensible explanation and my eyes are playing tricks but to me this looks like overheated tiled hearth. Badly.

It is well known that if these tiles get too hot they can pyrolise any woodwork behind them and start an invisible fire. Even if there is a sheet of heatproof material.

Ideally you would want to have tiles, heatproof, a steel plate and more heat proof if you have a fire that big in such a small space otherwise you will get problems.

Maybe it is something else but if that is what it looks like then what else has been done incorrectly on the boat?

Am I wrong? Maybe I am missing something incredibly obvious?

image.png.2031a183ebe8a7f4a2e42874259c5188.png.c3116c922831a538fed839a0de191b40.png

Edited by magnetman

17 hours ago, matty40s said:

Attention to detail..no fairleads will result in no paint pretty quickly.Screenshot_20230117-185735_Chrome.jpg.b2d479669a217c446d78422c3e9dec1f.jpg

Sockets without USB slots....come on, its 2023 now...Screenshot_20230117-190058_Chrome.jpg.102397b44248ebb38618dc60aac52446.jpg

I reckon theyve built one boat...the one in the photographs. The team may have many years of working with narrowboats and other boats, but this is the first one from this company.

The reason the thread was locked is because the original OP got worried someone would realise it was a cheeky advertising punt.

No sense in adding USB sockets into mains sockets on a boat surely?  you have to pop the invertor on to charge your phone?

7 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Maybe there is a sensible explanation and my eyes are playing tricks but to me this looks like overheated tiled hearth. Badly.

It is well known that if these tiles get too hot they can pyrolise any woodwork behind them and start an invisible fire. Even if there is a sheet of heatproof material.

Ideally you would want to have tiles, heatproof, a steel plate and more heat proof if you have a fire that big in such a small space otherwise you will get problems.

Maybe it is something else but if that is what it looks like then what else has been done incorrectly on the boat?

image.png.2031a183ebe8a7f4a2e42874259c5188.png.c3116c922831a538fed839a0de191b40.png

The wood trim doesn’t look like it’s damaged.could have been replaced I suppose.

9 minutes ago, magnetman said:

I am surprised that a modern flue would get that hot?

It doesn't look like a 'modern flue' I think it might be a single wall steel jobbie. They have put in a heat shield lower down so presumably the issue was recognised. If the fire has no back boiler it could be quite a hot thing.

5 minutes ago, robtheplod said:

No sense in adding USB sockets into mains sockets on a boat surely?  you have to pop the invertor on to charge your phone?

Are they not wired separately into the 12v system?

Maybe it is just a camera fault of some sort. It doesn't seem to show up in this picture but it does look like a single wall flue on there.. Maybe this one was taken before someone had the bright idea to light the fire on one of those very cold days we had and it got a little warm.

These modern DEFRA fires are interesting. I don't know if it is one but it might be.

Preheated secondary air has the effect of significantly increasing the firebox and therefore the flue temperatiure. Not really what you want in a confined space but definitely what you want for efficient burning especially of wood.

My little home made fire of 8 inch box section has this secondary burn and when it gets going it is well warm. This one in the picture could be crazy hot I think.

Mine will burn wood with no smoke as all the volatiles in the smoke are burnt off by secondary combustion once it gets to 600'C firebox temperature. This also keeps the flue clean but it DOES result in a VERY HOT fire and flue. VERY.

1362436423_Screenshot2023-01-18at12-15-4820220723_135114.jpgGallery.png.bf7e05c805eadbfd81b777ee54407a7c.png

Edited by magnetman

17 hours ago, matty40s said:

Sockets without USB slots....come on, its 2023 now...

I have never seen a mains socket fitted with a USB port, or slot. Why would anybody want one?

Four mains sockets in a row does seem to be a gross over-provision on a boat (and indeed in a house), but better too many than too few I suppose.

Just now, Athy said:

I have never seen a mains socket fitted with a USB port, or slot. Why would anybody want one?

Four mains sockets in a row does seem to be a gross over-provision on a boat (and indeed in a house), but better too many than too few I suppose.

Its fer chargin' yer phone !

29 minutes ago, magnetman said:

It doesn't look like a 'modern flue' I think it might be a single wall steel jobbie. They have put in a heat shield lower down so presumably the issue was recognised. If the fire has no back boiler it could be quite a hot thing.

Are they not wired separately into the 12v system?

doubt it....

42 minutes ago, magnetman said:

I thought it might be a reflection of light from the nearby window just visible in the wider shot. Also, judging by the label on the door glass the fire hasn't been lit yet.

• Greenie 2

13 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Its fer chargin' yer phone !

That doesn't interestv me, but if I did use such a device I could charge it by plugging into the charging holes in the back of my computer or of my router, or by using a (cheap, I assume) adaptor. Mains sockets with such fancy accessories must cost considerably more than normal ones.