The Custom Boat company...

MtB

Featured Posts

The damaged tiles are visible in this picture as well. Maybe a tall one like a Godin or something.

I think there was a different fire in there before which got a bit warm. They've taken the old fire and flue out, put another fire in but not put the flue  back. Chimney fire anyone?

348043498_Screenshot_20230117-.jpg.c3cbe7351317efd413a0c8f1e2e7a55d.jpg

Edited by magnetman

18 minutes ago, Athy said:

I have never seen a mains socket fitted with a USB port, or slot. Why would anybody want one?

Four mains sockets in a row does seem to be a gross over-provision on a boat (and indeed in a house), but better too many than too few I suppose.

All of the 240v sockets in our house also have two USB sockets as well.

Handy in the kitchen where there are loads of appliances plugged in, not really necessary for the rest of the house.

The USB sockets built into 240v sockets will only work when there is a 240v supply to the socket. So on a boat would require the inverter turned on.

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, magnetman said:

The damaged tiles are visible in this picture as well.

I think there was a different fire in there before which got a bit warm. Maybe a tall one like a Godin or something.

Now that WOULD be a good piece of customising, installing a nice art deco Godin stove in the boat. 

55 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Maybe there is a sensible explanation and my eyes are playing tricks but to me this looks like overheated tiled hearth. Badly.

It is well known that if these tiles get too hot they can pyrolise any woodwork behind them and start an invisible fire. Even if there is a sheet of heatproof material.

Ideally you would want to have tiles, heatproof, a steel plate and more heat proof if you have a fire that big in such a small space otherwise you will get problems.

Maybe it is something else but if that is what it looks like then what else has been done incorrectly on the boat?

Am I wrong? Maybe I am missing something incredibly obvious?

image.png.2031a183ebe8a7f4a2e42874259c5188.png.c3116c922831a538fed839a0de191b40.png

I'm not convinced they are damaged.

I think they are a textured tile that is reflecting light from a window.

The texture isn't obvious on the tiles that are not reflecting the light.

42 minutes ago, magnetman said:

It doesn't look like a 'modern flue' I think it might be a single wall steel jobbie. They have put in a heat shield lower down so presumably the issue was recognised. If the fire has no back boiler it could be quite a hot thing.

Are they not wired separately into the 12v system?

Not normally no. If they use the domestic type socket, which I think they do, there is no facility to wire them separately. All the required 'gubbins' to convert from 240v to 12v is contained with in the socket.

1 minute ago, Naughty Cal said:

I'm not convinced they are damaged.

I think they are a textured tile that is reflecting light from a window.

The texture isn't obvious on the tiles that are not reflecting the light.

You could be right. In fact nobody would put such a photo up if the tiles were damaged. I did wonder if I was reading it wrong !

The tiles to the side seem to reflect a little bit as well. It just looks really bad to me, and why has the flue been removed?

11 minutes ago, alias said:

I thought it might be a reflection of light from the nearby window just visible in the wider shot. Also, judging by the label on the door glass the fire hasn't been lit yet.

Let’s have a vote. 👍 or will someone ring them and put me out of my misery 🤣🤣🤣

5 minutes ago, Athy said:

That doesn't interestv me, but if I did use such a device I could charge it by plugging into the charging holes in the back of my computer or of my router, or by using a (cheap, I assume) adaptor. Mains sockets with such fancy accessories must cost considerably more than normal ones.

A quick goole, because the thought had also crossed my mind revealed.  Normal double sockets cost from dirt cheap up to about £20.  Ones with USB lots could be found in the £12 region, yes there were some up to £40.

• Greenie 1

27 minutes ago, Athy said:

I have never seen a mains socket fitted with a USB port, or slot. Why would anybody want one?

USB ports in sockets allow for charging of portable devices without the need for a plug to occupy a three pin socket.

Vey handy.

Edited by M_JG

3 minutes ago, magnetman said:

You could be right. In fact nobody would put such a photo up if the tiles were damaged. I did wonder if I was reading it wrong !

The tiles to the side seem to reflect a little bit as well. It just looks really bad to me, and why has the flue been removed?

Id assumed the photos were probably taken at different times and the flue hadnt actually been fitted in that photo.

7 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

All of the 240v sockets in our house also have two USB sockets as well.

The USB sockets built into 240v sockets will only work when there is a 240v supply to the socket. So on a boat would require the inverter turned on.

Of course, you have a brand new house, so that figures.

Yes, I did wonder: in the unlikel event of four appliances, e.g. kettle, toaster, washing machine, microwave all bashing away a the same time, would in inverter be able to keep up?

8 minutes ago, Jerra said:

A quick goole, because the thought had also crossed my mind revealed.  Normal double sockets cost from dirt cheap up to about £20.  Ones with USB lots could be found in the £12 region, yes there were some up to £40.

As I suspected: pay twice the price for something you don't need. That's customising for you.

Just now, Athy said:

As I suspected: pay twice the price for something you don't need. That's customising for you.

All the kids these days have devices (mine don't but they are exceptions). All these devices use USB cables to charge them. It is much more convenient carrying just the cable rather than the cable with the electronic tumour on the end and a 3 pin plug.

These USB equipped sockets are designed to steer away from squabbles amongst younger people when visiting the house zombifying their brains with their eyephones.

It will stop massive arguments happening.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Athy said:

Of course, you have a brand new house, so that figures.

Yes, I did wonder: in the unlikel event of four appliances, e.g. kettle, toaster, washing machine, microwave all bashing away a the same time, would in inverter be able to keep up?

We changed the sockets ourselves. 

David Wilson Homes wanted £85 per socket to fit them :blink:

Obviously we declined that offer and found sockets for £12 each or bulk buy £10 each.

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, MtB said:

Never mind all that, I like a boat that is 'handsome' to look at, pleasing to the eye, one I'm pleased to point at in a row of boats and say that one is mine!

Surely it’s cheating if you own the entire row as well? :D or have you thinned out your navy now?

1 hour ago, robtheplod said:

No sense in adding USB sockets into mains sockets on a boat surely?  you have to pop the invertor on to charge your phone?

Plenty of sense if you only have 240v sockets like ours does, easier than wiring in a whole load of 12v.

When aboard we move every day so inverter always on as charge not a problem, this would change if we lived on obviously.

1 hour ago, Athy said:

Device charging, only need to stow a usb cable rather than cable and chunky plug plus it leaves the socket itself free for other things like computers or routers ;)  If you’ve never seen one, you’ve plainly never walked through the electrical section at B&Q/Wickes etc. in the last five or ten years.

• Happy 1

1 hour ago, robtheplod said:

No sense in adding USB sockets into mains sockets on a boat surely?  you have to pop the invertor on to charge your phone?

Most of the modern boats have the inverters on 24/7 anyway, as most have 240v fridges, freezers, etc.

Edited by matty40s

11 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

If you’ve never seen one, you’ve plainly never walked through the electrical section at B&Q/Wickes etc. in the last five or ten years.

Plainly. I have occasionally been into those shops during that time, but I wasn't looking for sockets; so it would be more accurate to say that I've never noticed, rather than never seen, one.

25 minutes ago, Athy said:

Plainly. I have occasionally been into those shops during that time, but I wasn't looking for sockets; so it would be more accurate to say that I've never noticed, rather than never seen, one.

I have been in a number of cafes which have 13amp sockets with USB accessible to a number of tables.

11 minutes ago, Jerra said:

I have been in a number of cafes which have 13amp sockets with USB accessible to a number of tables.

Mr. Jerra, you're so trendy :D.

I haven't - although, once again, I'd say that I haven't noticed them, so there may have been some.

2 hours ago, Athy said:

Four mains sockets in a row does seem to be a gross over-provision on a boat (and indeed in a house), but better too many than too few I suppose.

For plugging your WiFi dongle in, mine is on 24/7 when I am onboard.

2 hours ago, Athy said:

image.png.c017fef08fd845fadd8799aafed8fe1f.png

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

For plugging your WiFi dongle in, mine is on 24/7 when I am onboard.

image.png.c017fef08fd845fadd8799aafed8fe1f.png

After this discussion I've actually just been to get a two port one to swap with one of the kitchen sockets.