Bollard Oopsie

Kiwidad

Featured Posts

Did my usual careful reverse out of the Marina on Friday heading for a pump out. Suddenly my Xmas lights seemed to tighten and I realised I was still attached to the electrical bollard!

First time ever for me after 10 years boating.

Needless to say Matty thought it was hysterical!

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

The bollard now has a semi transparent grey waterproof cover over it which resembles Casper the ghost flapping around once it goes dark.

We have offered to connect all the marina cables together and run them down the local towpaths to alleviate umbilical challenged  boaters.

• Greenie 3

36 minutes ago, matty40s said:

The bollard now has a semi transparent grey waterproof cover over it which resembles Casper the ghost flapping around once it goes dark.

We have offered to connect all the marina cables together and run them down the local towpaths to alleviate umbilical challenged  boaters.

Had, came back because I forgot to take coal and no transparent grey cover!

You also offered your paddle board so I could take the bollard with me 😎

2 hours ago, Kiwidad said:

Did my usual careful reverse out of the Marina on Friday heading for a pump out. Suddenly my Xmas lights seemed to tighten and I realised I was still attached to the electrical bollard!

Puts me in mind of this video.... 

Still cracks me up to watch! 

6 hours ago, Kiwidad said:

I did that once 

The  electrical socket on  shore lost the battle but otherwise nothing bad happened.

I have on a couple of occasions  attempted to depart with the boat still tied up. No damage other than embarrassment.

1 minute ago, matty40s said:

I did once go for a very quiet early morning start from a crowded mooring on a river. Let the ropes off, pushed the front out, clambered in to start the engine and got on the back deck to realise I'd forgotten to stick the tiller on.

I've moved off without a tiller a few times, I just try and make it look deliberate by casually dropping in the back and emerging with the tiller.

• Greenie 1

18 minutes ago, PaulD said:

What about stepping off with the centre rope to tie up with the boat still in gear. Could pass it off as a way to bring the boat alongside as long as you are quick enough and there is a bollard. 

Or worse, getting off with the stern line and finding the other end is not tied onto the boat...

There's no way to recover from THAT and make it look like you did it deliberately! DAMHIK.

• Greenie 1

12 hours ago, matty40s said:

I did once go for a very quiet early morning start from a crowded mooring on a river. Let the ropes off, pushed the front out, clambered in to start the engine and got on the back deck to realise I'd forgotten to stick the tiller on.

Done that one as well 😎

our best one was while travelling on our own boat with friends on another boat, both boats grounded.

we were the 2nd boat so we jumped off to get the first boat free leaving our own boat grounded.

After 10 mins we came back to our own boat to find that we had jumped off leaving the boat with then engine running at tickover in reverse gear and with no ropes to the towpath, luckily when we ground a boat it really is grounded.

I once, in Parglena, went to pull out of Town Lock on the River Wey. Forgot however to remove the rear rope, there was a loud bang and  end of the 22mm rope missed my head by a few inches. Luckily the bollard stayed where it was.

Returning to my mooring from our Boxing Day cruise yesterday, I only realised that my centre lines were still in the cabin (after being washed) when I was about to step off to moor.

Fortunately I was barely moving, so was able to stop the boat, attach the port centre line and then step off and moor normally.

8 hours ago, MtB said:

Or worse, getting off with the stern line and finding the other end is not tied onto the boat...

There's no way to recover from THAT and make it look like you did it deliberately! DAMHIK.

Always managed to have the ropes tied to the boat, but we did turn up to a busy Pyewipe Inn taking the last tight mooring spot.

We both instantly got distracted by people we knew outside the pub and assumed the other had tied off the boat.

A few minutes later we both turned around to find NC had not only escaped the exceptionally tight mooring without touching another boat but was on her way down river scerenely heading for Lincoln on her own.

Had to comandere a dinghy to recover that one!

• Haha 1

On 27/12/2022 at 04:12, Kiwidad said:

Ah! the dreaded auxiliary mooring line.

In the lumpy stuff I have seem more then once when the shore line has had less slack then the adjacent mooring lines and has parted, or demolished the pillar or boat terminal fitting when the boat has bounced on waves or moved too much in the wind or tide to be accommodated.

16 minutes ago, sigsegv said:

Anyone else got to a lock you intend to go up, started filling it, and after about 5 minutes realised most locks work better when you actually put your boat in the thing?

No? Just me then 😅

I have clambered ashore to untie all the ropes and collect the pins, push off the bows, and then realised that the stern line was still attached to the bank. My excuse was that I had broken my wrist the day before, and was just about to cruise to Peterborough in order to visit their A&E department.

1 hour ago, sigsegv said:

Anyone else got to a lock you intend to go up, started filling it, and after about 5 minutes realised most locks work better when you actually put your boat in the thing?

No? Just me then 😅

Funny you should mention that. And one feels such an idiot as its not easy to pretend you meant to do it, is it!

1 hour ago, sigsegv said:

No? Just me then 😅

For some reason the "new" Graham Palmer lock on the Montgomery used to throw me regularly, it's only a couple of inches difference between top and bottom pounds but I regularly tried to fill it when it needed emptying or empty when it needed filling.

Good job the Monty is quiet  🤫 

Edited by tree monkey
To add G Palmer

21 hours ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

I have clambered ashore to untie all the ropes and collect the pins, push off the bows, and then realised that the stern line was still attached to the bank. My excuse was that I had broken my wrist the day before, and was just about to cruise to Peterborough in order to visit their A&E department.

On my first ever canal holiday (on a 70 foot ex-working camping boat organised by the Scouts) we were in such a hurry to leave that the lines were untied at the boat end.

It wasn't until we came to moor up that night that we realised we had neither mooring pins or lines!

Fortunately we had taken a canoe with us, so someone was dispatched back to Braunston to recover the mooring pins and lines from the bank and return them to the boat.

• Greenie 1