This is what diesel looks like after a night at -9° C

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

Often wondered what happens to diesel in really cold weather. Spent a night in some dreary service station some years ago when the diesel froze. And yes, when it warms up it turns back into proper fuel again.

Road diesel in the winter is supplied to a different spec with a lower waxing point, the trouble is many boaters will still have summer diesel on board, and I wonder if marinas etc get winter grade as their consumption will be lower over the winter.

When I was working we took considerable  care to fill all the tanks on site with summer grade diesel and tested all supplies over the winter to ensure it was actually winter grade being delivered.

Edited by jonesthenuke
typo

What happens to Kerosene at a similar temperature. Just wondering because our oil boiler has been going into a lockout state on loads of occasions recently and the oil tank is outside. Overnight temp is -10.8 at the moment. 

4 minutes ago, Goliath said:

It is a car engine though ain’t it?

Not exactly - its a 3-cylinder Yanmar engine (a model regularly marinised for canal use)

It is in my digger which was parked in our barn.

It has not been started for several days so has been getting progressively colder, until today and I find the diesel has waxed.

I think it could quite easily happen to a canal boat that is not in regular use. I guess a liveaboard boat would generally be a bit warmer which would 'transmit' to the engine room.

21 minutes ago, Tonka said:

What happens to Kerosene at a similar temperature. Just wondering because our oil boiler has been going into a lockout state on loads of occasions recently and the oil tank is outside. Overnight temp is -10.8 at the moment. 

I cannot find info on Kerosene some US information seems to suggest plugging starts about -9C It is probably worth asking your supplier as there may be regional variations.

This table from Crown oils is if general interest, red diesel that they supply is A2 gas oil or EN590 gas oil, not the summer and winter Cold Filter Plugging Point temperatures. I suspect many boaters will be seeing -4C so summer grade will be a problem

Grade Flashpoint (°C) Sulphur (ppm) Winter grade CFPP (°C) Summer grade CFPP (°C) Colour Max. Bio content Cetane number
A2 Gas Oil 56 10 -12 -4 Cherry red 7%* 45
D Gas Oil 56 1000 -12 -4 Cherry red 7%* 45
C2 Heating Oil 38 1000 NA NA Clear NA NA
C1 Heating Oil 43 20 NA NA Clear NA NA
EN 590 Gas Oil 56 10 -12 -4 Cherry red 7% 45
EN 590 Diesel 56 10 -15 -5 Clear 7% 50
EN 14214 Gas Oil >120 10 -20 NA Cherry red 100% 51
EN 14214 Diesel >120 10 -20 NA Clear 100% 51
EN 15940 Gas Oil 70 5 -15 to -34 -15 Cherry red 100% 70
EN 15940 Diesel 70 5 -15 to -34 15 Clear 100% 70

Edited by jonesthenuke
typo

Very interesting @Alan de Enfield, thank you for posting. 

The other day I took my infrared thermometer to the boat out of interest. It had been well below freezing overnight for over a week, -5c overnight and the canal was frozen over. The air temperature was -1c and I measured the temperature of the baseplate and the sides of the swim in the engine bay.....all were around +3c due to the water under the ice being this temperature. In fact everything on or below the level of the Uxter plate was +3. That includes the engine and fuel filter so as long as these items are at or below the level of the Uxter plate, the temperature would have to get quite a bit colder than it's been recently to wax diesel on a boat.

Edited by booke23
  • Greenie 1

4 hours ago, Tonka said:

Stays liquid that's why I used it in my bubble stove 

4 hours ago, Bob Chamberlain said:

Before the days of diesel already having additives we used to put paraffin (kerosene) in the tank with the diesel to stop it 'freezing'.

My recollection was petrol was often added to diesel in the days before winter additives too.  Upto 10% I think.

Calor gas has a similar winter and summer version. I've had to pour kettles of hot water on bulk calor tank regulators in the past after a hard frost and a tank full of summer gas

Yes I can't give any technical details on what they do to the gas, but it's definitely something I personally have had to do on more than one occasion until we made sure we ran the tank down towards autumn. Guess it's a problem with the regulator orifices icing up or something?  

1 minute ago, jonathanA said:

Yes I can't give any technical details on what they do to the gas, but it's definitely something I personally have had to do on more than one occasion until we made sure we ran the tank down towards autumn. Guess it's a problem with the regulator orifices icing up or something?  

Actually, this is exactly the sort of thing they'll deny happens despite practical experience of real life users! 

13 minutes ago, jonathanA said:

My recollection was petrol was often added to diesel in the days before winter additives too.  Upto 10% I think.

Calor gas has a similar winter and summer version. I've had to pour kettles of hot water on bulk calor tank regulators in the past after a hard frost and a tank full of summer gas

Propane vaporiser at -47c so no issues, however butane vaporises at +4c so that's why we don't uses it on boats

18 minutes ago, jonathanA said:

In NZ the propane to butane ratio in LPG was elevated in winter increase the evaporation rate for the gas take off. 

Just vaporizing the liquid drops the temperature, as does reducing gas pressure in the regulator, hence regulator freeze. 

Bulk users often took a liquid take off from the tank, through an electric powered vaporiser , (or the horrid lpg fueled version)

Edited by DandV

11 minutes ago, DandV said:

In NZ the propane to butane ratio in LPG was elevated in winter increase the evaporation rate for the gas take off. 

Just vaporizing the liquid drops the temperature, as does reducing gas pressure in the regulator, hence regulator freeze. 

Bulk users often took a liquid take off from the tank, through an electric powered vaporiser , (or the horrid lpg fueled version)

Here in the UK bulk storage tanks officially are always filled with 100% propane. Maybe in reality it is a mix of propane and butane, with the mix adjusted according to the season. This would explain JA's experience with needing kettles with summer gas in winter.

Certainly for Winter camping / hiking it is normal to use a 'Winter mix' of 70/30.

Butane is normally the preferred gas as it has more energy by volume that Propane, but 'freezes' at temperatures around 0C. (Boiling point of Butane is -1C)

Adding 30% by volume of Propane keeps much of the benefit of Butane but give a lower usable temperature of around -27C

Multi COLEMAN C300 Extreme Gas Cartridge image 1

Edited by Alan de Enfield

7 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Wax coated filter :

20221215-151452-1.jpg

20221215-151050-1.jpg

There are at least two recent threads on here where newbie boaters' engines are failing to start now the cold weather is on us. I suggested right at the start of one thread waxing is probably the cause but no-one seems to agree. 

Huh !