Removing steam from bathroom

SusieC

Featured Posts

Interested to hear what people have done, mushroom vents with fans, window fans, wall fans etc - opening the window isn’t enough, need a fan mounted somewhere to extract steam, - thoughts?

would appreciate makes and models of things you’ve found work well

Don't shower in extreme cold weather if you can't ventilate successfully.

Fill a great big jug, (aka a bucket) with warm water, add some shampoo, then pour.

It's the massive aerosol of water droplets that cause the problem.

I also have an extractor fan in the mushroom vent. Since condensation is a known issue on boats in winter I'm not sure why people wouldn't fit them as standard? If you can ventilate the bathroom passively just by opening windows that's fine I suppose but fitting an extractor fan just seems obvious to me. It's not like they're expensive. 12v computer fans are cheap as chips. 

Edited by blackrose
  • Greenie 2

27 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Don't shower in extreme cold weather if you can't ventilate successfully.

Fill a great big jug, (aka a bucket) with warm water, add some shampoo, then pour.

It's the massive aerosol of water droplets that cause the problem.

Using a bucket of hot water in the shower and a small plastic jug to pour water over oneself is probably quite a good idea and no real hardship.

Edited by blackrose

I fitted a Manrose 12vdc fan under the mushroom in the shower cubicle.

Unfortunately its since been discontinued but similar are available 

https://marine-electricals.co.uk/product/12v-extractor-fan-no-light-marine-leisure/?

Be aware that many 12v extractor fans are AC not DC so wont work on a boat.

• Greenie 1

25 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Using a bucket of hot water in the shower and a small plastic jug to pour water over oneself is probably quite a good idea and no real hardship.

I take it you rarely have females on board. That idea would not be well received here!!!

35 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Yep and you can was the dinner plates at the same time. Multi-tasking is a wonderful thing 😁

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Loddon said:

I fitted a Manrose 12vdc fan under the mushroom in the shower cubicle.

Unfortunately its since been discontinued but similar are available 

https://marine-electricals.co.uk/product/12v-extractor-fan-no-light-marine-leisure/?

Be aware that many 12v extractor fans are AC not DC so wont work on a boat.

I did the same, two mushrooms in the bathroom, one standard open and one with a fan.

• Greenie 1

15 hours ago, blackrose said:

I also have an extractor fan in the mushroom vent. Since condensation is a known issue on boats in winter I'm not sure why people wouldn't fit them as standard? If you can ventilate the bathroom passively just by opening windows that's fine I suppose but fitting an extractor fan just seems obvious to me. It's not like they're expensive. 12v computer fans are cheap as chips. 

In my case x 2 computer fans in mushroom vents, one in the shower cubicle and one above the hand basin. No opening windows (portholes) but no condensation either 

• Greenie 1

My boat:

A bath instead of a shower, so no droplets in the air, just evaporation from the surface and people. Two mushroom vents in the room instead of one. Two portholes with opening hoppers, but kept closed in winter. No fans.

Works really well. Water consumption is higher, especially for the deep soak that is required some days. There are removable washing lines strung across near the ceiling deck head and twin tub laundry and drying happens here too. No condensation problems.

• Greenie 1