Air fryer for the boat?

nicknorman

Featured Posts

21 minutes ago, frangar said:

As we don’t even have a microwave onboard we won’t be getting an air fryer. Quite happy with the gas oven & hob supplemented by the back cabin range! Like a microwave you can only cook one element of food at a time….I can do multiple items in a gas oven! Why make life complicated? 

How can you not be tempted to  join in with the demands of c21 life?

1 hour ago, frangar said:

As we don’t even have a microwave onboard we won’t be getting an air fryer. Quite happy with the gas oven & hob supplemented by the back cabin range! Like a microwave you can only cook one element of food at a time….I can do multiple items in a gas oven! Why make life complicated? 

image.jpg

Just now, Jon57 said:

image.jpg

Then the stew for tonight. Lovely jubbly 😜😁

Camped in a free site overlooking lake and nature reserve in our aged vw van. Has shower hot water fridge or when on mains microwave  toaster kettle and split system aircon. Compared to boat ‘luxury’

Next door pulls up , sides slide out, self levelling jacks come down, tv arial goes up satellite dish folds up. Trailer unlocks itself and tilts and he runs  the car off. Electric awning comes out. Car parked under.

I watch bemused.

Later i put the bike back on the rack, after our 80 kms ride.

He comes out for a chat. He asks about the van , its17 years old and we have had it 15.. He keeps asking why we haven't replaced it,  rude enough to suggest we cant afford to !

cant get that it suits us. No tv ,no surround sound etc.

I sit and watch the amazing birds as the sun sets.

I can hear the sounds of gun fire on the surround sound, and then the flecking generator fires itself up

Fortunately the mozzies are biting so to bed and read my analogue book.

54 minutes ago, Jon57 said:

image.jpg

Then the stew for tonight. Lovely jubbly 😜😁

That’s more like it! My mother has a microwave and an air fryer at her house. I must admit the microwave does nice scrambled eggs…I like mine really almost liquid still and the air fryer isn’t bad for chips….but neither are a must have for me on the boat. I can think of better uses of the space and the power! 

3 hours ago, frangar said:

…because as I explained, in hot or even average summer weather, gas ovens and ranges/stoves chuck out too much heat making the interior of the boat too hot. If we do move the air fryer to the boat it will only be for use in the summer. And of course consequential to the interior of the boat getting too hot, is the wasteful use of fossil fuel in inefficient cooking devices such as gas ovens and solid fuel ranges.

Edited by nicknorman

2 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

…because as I explained, in hot or even average summer weather, gas ovens and ranges/stoves chuck out too much heat making the interior of the boat too hot. If we do move the air fryer to the boat it will only be for use in the summer. And of course consequential to the interior of the boat getting too hot, is the wasteful use of fossil fuel in inefficient cooking devices such as gas ovens and solid fuel ranges.

Sounds like a poorly designed boat to me.....

Given how long a gas cylinder lasts us for cooking and boiling kettles...and we drink a lot of tea...or the fact the back cabin range keeps the cabin toasty not to mention your body warm when cruising I really dont think thats a wasteful use of fuel of any sort.

3 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

If the power to run the air fryer comes from running the propulsion diesel engine to charge your batteries then this is inefficient (and expensive) too... 😉

If it comes from shoreline then it's better, especially if the grid is using some renewable power (which it usually is) -- and it doesn't heat the boat up.

If it comes from solar then an air fryer is a win all round 🙂

10 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

That's odd. I have never noticed the galley getting too hot when the gas oven is on and I cook on board quite a lot. 

This thread is interesting to me as I had been contemplating an air fryer but didn't really know what they were capable of. Chips seem to be their main selling point :-). As I never make chips either at home or on the boat I think an air fryer is not for me.  I think it would end up as something else to find storage space for!

I'll happily stay in the last century 🙂 

Edited by haggis

5 minutes ago, frangar said:

Sounds like a poorly designed boat to me.....

Given how long a gas cylinder lasts us for cooking and boiling kettles...and we drink a lot of tea...or the fact the back cabin range keeps the cabin toasty not to mention your body warm when cruising I really dont think thats a wasteful use of fuel of any sort.

It would do, of course.

It might be due to our decision to install a full sized gas fan oven rather than a caravan type oven in which everything burns at the top and barely gets warm at the bottom I suppose, but the boat is a boat with open plan living area and large windows, which slide open in the galley area, so I’m not sure what is bad about the general design, other than it being a point-scoring opportunity.

3 minutes ago, haggis said:

That's odd. I have never noticed the galley getting too hot when the gas oven is on and I cook on board quite a lot. 

This thread is interesting to me as I had been contemplating an air fryer but didn't really know what they were capable of. Chips seem to be their main selling point :-). As I never make chips either at home or on the boat I think an air fryer is not for me.  I think it would end up as something else to find storage space for!

Did bacon in it this morning as an experiment, cooked very quickly and evenly. Perhaps slightly on the dry side but then no added oil. Great if you like your bacon a bit crispy. Also no fat spattering on the hob, interior of the thing is very easy to clean.

14 minutes ago, haggis said:

You can use them for all sorts off stuff. Whilst it's true we use ours mainly for air fried chips it is a rather old Actifry mini one that Tefal don't make any longer. The problem we found when trying to cook other stuff in it was the 'spinner' in the centre of the bowl tended to break stuff up when it was cooking stuff. It is fine with chips though and things like chicken thighs/wings/drumsticks.

More modern ones have a drawer (some have two) and they don't move the food around (Tefal still make one that does) so more delicate stuff doesn't get broken up as it cooks.

I think ultimately we will end up with one for the caravan, where it would defo. get used but we will probably wait till after all the hype about them has died down and they start popping up 'barely used' on eBay.

This is our current one.

Actifry mini.JPG

Edited by M_JG

17 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

consequential to the interior of the boat getting too hot, is the wasteful use of fossil fuel in inefficient cooking devices such as gas ovens and solid fuel ranges.

I was quite impressed the first time I used the stove kettle on my induction hob by how cool the handle was compared to either the gas hob or the Squirrel.  The efficiency must be much better if you're only heating the water and not the kettle itself.

After drinking "sunshine brews" for most of the year it was a shock to have to use gas again when the sun went away.

11 minutes ago, haggis said:

We don't do chips, but if you cube up some spuds (skin on) and toss them in some oil (olive?) and herbs they come out of the air fryer much tastier -- and healthier, if that matters 😉

You can cook almost anything you'd do in an oven (or even under a grill, depending on what it is) such as chops, sausages, roasted veg, fish fingers/fish cakes, chicken -- usually in about half the time and less than half the energy of an electric oven, and with less heat into the kitchen.

Like many other new-fangled appliances (e.g. an electric oven, or a bread maker, or a sandwich toaster, or...) they're not essential but can be useful if they fit with your needs, and not everything ends up unused in the cupboard after the first flush of enthusiasm -- we still use the bread machine after more than 20 years, being able to come down on a morning to a freshly baked loaf is still an absolute treat... 😉

6 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

I was quite impressed the first time I used the stove kettle on my induction hob by how cool the handle was compared to either the gas hob or the Squirrel.  The efficiency must be much better if you're only heating the water and not the kettle itself.

After drinking "sunshine brews" for most of the year it was a shock to have to use gas again when the sun went away.

Indeed, and of course similar to an electric kettle... 😉

WE use ours nearly daily. I just cooked my brekky sausages in ours a few minutes ago. My missus has done some great cakes in ours, I have done small bread loaves. Life isnt always about cost, we dont cost out everything we do, lifes too short, it would have cost less to just use the frying pan for the sausages, as thats what I did my eggs and bacon in, but I like the way sausages end up in the air fryer when cooked. Boat wise they do take a fair lump of space up but we bought whole boats generaly not just partialy sized ones, so space wasnt so much a problem. 

1 minute ago, TheBiscuits said:

Yeah, but warming soup or beans up in an electric kettle causes domestic friction ... DAMHIK ...

As does putting an electric kettle on a stove hotplate -- DAMHIK... (though TBH this was my nan many years ago)

28 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

It would do, of course.

It might be due to our decision to install a full sized gas fan oven rather than a caravan type oven in which everything burns at the top and barely gets warm at the bottom I suppose, but the boat is a boat with open plan living area and large windows, which slide open in the galley area, so I’m not sure what is bad about the general design, other than it being a point-scoring opportunity.

Did bacon in it this morning as an experiment, cooked very quickly and evenly. Perhaps slightly on the dry side but then no added oil. Great if you like your bacon a bit crispy. Also no fat spattering on the hob, interior of the thing is very easy to clean.

We too have a full size cooker and live aboard rarely eating out so using the oven most days even during this summers hot weather. Never have I thought it made the boat warmer..we have hopper windows…no Houdini hatches but of course a proper engine room with side doors that can open to allow a throughflow of air…..so there must be something in the design of your boat/layout which traps the heat. 

I did wonder if the quip about “waste of fossil fuel” was a point scoring opportunity…..but of course you’d never do that. 

1 hour ago, haggis said:

Daughter in law makes a complete Sunday Lunch in theirs everything from the 'roast' to the Yorshire puddings, to the veg.

There are a lot of "Airfryer Cookery Books" and you can cook everything including cakes, bread and sausage rolls etc etc.

Ours are the 'big glass bowl' types with the heating element and fan on top.

You can put in an extender ring and have 3-layers of food cooking at the same time.

59 minutes ago, MtB said:

Whoever needs to fry air?

The same person who needs to 'grill' George Foreman...

Edited by M_JG

We bought a Tower Xpress Pro air fryer oven in September for house home have not used our full size oven since then. Has three shelves so can cook different food at the same time we think it’s great and saves on energy. We use it to cook everything we used to cook in full size oven.

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, JonesBoy said:

We bought a Tower Xpress Pro air fryer oven in September for house home have not used our full size oven since then. Has three shelves so can cook different food at the same time we think it’s great and saves on energy. We use it to cook everything we used to cook in full size oven.

Funny enough our local ASDA I noticed just this morning had one identical to that model but branded differently and with a three year guarantee for just £99.