Air fryer for the boat?

nicknorman

Featured Posts

3 minutes ago, JonesBoy said:

Got ours from Amazon was £99 with 3 year G/tee it’s now £139.99!

Some eBay sellers were asking up to £500 for the very popular Ninja Dual drawer ones recently. They normally retail at £200 or £230 depending on size.

I suspect some stupid people actually bought them at that too.

Coming down now but still over the odds.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1311&_nkw=ninja+dual+air+fryer

12 hours ago, nicknorman said:

It might be due to our decision to install a full sized gas fan oven rather than a caravan type oven in which everything burns at the top and barely gets warm at the bottom 

I have a Cara caravan oven and it cooks everything very well and very evenly.

I only fitted a small oven because it was a retrofit under a kitchen worktop, but the long swim at the stern prevented me fitting a full size gas oven. However, it suits me very well. 

• 2 weeks later...

Well the air fryer arrived and we tried it at home - pretty useful as it heats up very quickly. Then we went down to the boat and took it with us. Very cold outside, in case anyone hasn’t noticed. Big advantage of air fryer over gas oven - it doesn’t create any water vapour unlike burning gas. So dinner cooked tonight without having to open the windows and no condensation.

• Greenie 2

Oh and I checked today, cooking dinner which was breadcrumbed prawns for starters followed by venison burgers and chips for 2, using the air fryer used about 10% of battery capacity. Which is shrugged off by the Li batteries at about 30 mins to recharge whilst cruising.

Yes we did have gas-boiled green veg too!

• Greenie 1

• 2 weeks later...

Boxing Day roast beef dinner, having moored off grid around 3pm: ok the roast beef was cooked in the gas oven. But the starter nibbles (x2, at least) and the roast tatties and parsnips were cooked in the air fryer. That allowed lowish temperature for the beef and high temperature for the roast veg. They were good! And then Jeff said “the hot water has run out” and proceeded to put on the immersion heater for an hour. And then we had tea early evening. And of course tea and toast for breakfast (all electric).

Net result 380ah used in about 18 hours. I felt quite excited by the rebellious and naughty profligacy of it all! It was a near-erotic experience! Hurrah, I can finally justify the Li batteries (which still had about 30% usable left).

• Greenie 1

Just now, nicknorman said:

Boxing Day roast beef dinner, having moored off grid around 3pm: ok the roast beef was cooked in the gas oven. But the starter nibbles (x2, at least) and the roast tatties and parsnips were cooked in the air fryer. That allowed lowish temperature for the beef and high temperature for the roast veg. They were good! And then Jeff said “the hot water has run out” and proceeded to put on the immersion heater for an hour. And then we had tea early evening. And of course tea and toast for breakfast (all electric).

Net result 380ah used in about 18 hours. I felt quite excited by the rebellious and naughty profligacy of it all! It was a near-erotic experience! Hurrah, I can finally justify the Li batteries (which still had about 30% usable left).

Lovely.

But Which air fryer did you buy.

• 3 weeks later...

Well we have succumbed to the hype and bought a Ninja double drawer jobbie. We have 'ponged' and upcycled our old Tefal one, the new owner is delighted.

First impressions are very positive. The cooking times seem much reduced but you have to be careful not to overcook stuff because of this. The ability to sync cooking times is very clever.

Cooking relatively simple things has so far been a breeze but we have ordered a recipe book so we can stretch its legs a bit.

Its bigger than I realised and my its (VERY) heavy so this should be a consideration for boaters.

11 hours ago, M_JG said:

Its bigger than I realised and my its (VERY) heavy so this should be a consideration for boaters.

Which model did you get? We got the AF400 just before Xmas and i reckon on a brief lift test its about half the weight of a microwave oven. I too was surprised by the size of it. Our oven has only been used for Xmas dinner and the Black Forest Gateux i made for New Year (never again) since the Ninja arrived though. 

On 05/12/2022 at 10:59, Chris John said:

They’ll be confined to the back of the cupboard with the bread makers, toasty machines, nutri bullets and all the other must have kitchen gadgets when the next fad comes out. 

I've owned an air fryer for just over a year now (2 draws, 9.5 l capacity). Not switched my oven on once since and don't miss it.

4 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Does it do Yorkshire puddings?

Yes. Did them in it yesterday.

2 hours ago, Hudds Lad said:

Which model did you get? We got the AF400 just before Xmas and i reckon on a brief lift test its about half the weight of a microwave oven. I too was surprised by the size of it. Our oven has only been used for Xmas dinner and the Black Forest Gateux i made for New Year (never again) since the Ninja arrived though. 

Yes the AF400

Screenshot_20230116-101341_Photos.jpg

4 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Oh good. How does that work? Can we do it in ours which is pretty basic and just has a 'chip basket'?

Mrs M_JG used small individual flan tins stood in the bottom of the basket. Heated the oil and then used 'air fry' 180c for 13 mins.

On 05/12/2022 at 11:48, RichM said:

Would recommend a Ninja Foodi multi cooker over a conventional air fryer, specifically the new style one with the smart lid. (Original ones have 2 lids making it cumbersome)

Air fryers are somewhat limited in terms of what they can be used for, but the Ninja Foodi multi cooker adds so much more functionality, e.g.

- Pressure cooking 

- Sear/saute

- Slow cooking

- Steam

- Bake/roast

And more... 

Personally wouldn't limit myself to an air fryer when the multi cooker can do that and more. I now never use my oven at all and the gas hob is very rarely used. Everything takes so much less time to cook with less mess and fuss. Very well constructed. Can't fault it but it did take a little getting used to.

It does say in the instruction manual that it's not to be used on boats but it's very sturdy so unlikely to be an issue on calm waterways. 

This is the one I have but I think I only paid £230 for it.
https://ninjakitchen.co.uk/product/ninja-foodi-11-in-1-smartlid-multi-cooker-6l-ol550uk-zidOL550UK

They are somewhat big/bulky and quite heavy too. Probably not ideal if you only have a small galley with limited worktop space. Also need to ensure there is sufficient room to open the lid. 

I'd like to second the ninja foodi, I have one on board, can run it with my generator or off my 1500w inverter. Its an absolute life saver!

I have one of these models: image.png.ba215d5de59f3d3101c4af919ecb17ec.png

On 16/01/2023 at 10:22, M_JG said:

Mrs M_JG used small individual flan tins stood in the bottom of the basket. Heated the oil and then used 'air fry' 180c for 13 mins.

OIL.......................Bloomin OIL!!!!! It is not possible to make decent yorky puds using oil!! You should know that. Dripping or lard, but absolutely never, oil. Same with roast spuds. You should know better innitt, you aint no suvverner!!

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

OIL.......................Bloomin OIL!!!!! It is not possible to make decent yorky puds using oil!! You should know that. Dripping or lard, but absolutely never, oil. Same with roast spuds. You should know better innitt, you aint no suvverner!!

Actually just checked. It was lard she used. 

On 05/12/2022 at 12:36, M_JG said:

This seems to be a very common issue that people find in various reviews. You simply cannot rely on the cooking times stated on food packaging and have to time and often temp. adjust downwards due to the intense way they cook. Often resulting in spoilt meals initially.

McCains apparently are working on adding air fryer timings to their products, they’ve started in the US

• Greenie 1

Santa brought me a 4.9 l air fryer. Daughter was donated one from a friend who’s family is too big to make it useful..

Daughter and her flatmate hasn’t turned the oven on since!
im getting to grips with it and have the advantage of having a warming drawer in my kitchen so I can cook meat and leave it to rest in the warming drawer whilst cooking potatoes etc.

I do take issue with some of the fanatics on the FB airfryer groups who want to do everything in an air fryer just because they can.

for example, boiled eggs, why? why, when boiling on the hob is jist as efficient?