Air fryer for the boat?

nicknorman

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, nicknorman said:

We rarely cook with anything else these days in terms of oven cooking. The 3.8l ones are quite small but then again there is only one of you. Since you have plenty of space (wide beam) I’d go for this one https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8963857

similar to the one we have, a bit bigger at 5.7litres and cheaper than the Ninja one, but I’m sure yours would be fine.

Thanks. 1700w draw compared to the 1550w Ninja. I'd mainly be using it from solar. Also I don't really have much storage space. I'm just thinking about it at the moment.

30 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Thanks. 1700w draw compared to the 1550w Ninja. I'd mainly be using it from solar. Also I don't really have much storage space. I'm just thinking about it at the moment.

It’s one of those things that before you get it, you don’t really see the point, but once you have it you use it all the time.

On the power consumption thing the 1700 or 1550 is the drain with the heating element on, but once up to temperature (2 mins or so) the heater is switched on and off at roughly a 50% duty cycle so the average power consumption is about half that.

• Greenie 1

Ours (not on a boat) is used every single day, if only to warm breakfast pastries but often twice a day including the evening meal.

The mistake some people seem to make is assuming you can use them for every type of cooking when in reality you cannot, but as a substitute for a large fan oven (but with more versitility) they are brilliant.

Its definitely one of those appliances that if it broke it would be repaired or replaced straight away.

12 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

It’s one of those things that before you get it, you don’t really see the point, but once you have it you use it all the time.

On the power consumption thing the 1700 or 1550 is the drain with the heating element on, but once up to temperature (2 mins or so) the heater is switched on and off at roughly a 50% duty cycle so the average power consumption is about half that.

Use ours most days. Just done this mornings sausage sandwich in ours. Its a cheap ebay unit that we have used almost daily for about 5 years now. No fancy name, no fancy digital screen or buttons, just a simple timer dial and winder thermostat. Cooked everything from whole chicken to slices of bacon beautifuly. I think it was about fifty quid back then before many people used them.

3 minutes ago, M_JG said:

Ours (not on a boat) is used every single day, if only to warm breakfast pastries but often twice a day including the evening meal.

The mistake some people seem to make is assuming you can use them for every type of cooking when in reality you cannot, but as a substitute for a large fan oven (but with more versitility) they are brilliant.

Its definitely one of those appliances that if it broke it would be repaired or replaced straight away.

Agreed. Of the thousands of kitchen gimmicks that abound in every cupboard in UK kitchens this item is brilliant.

• Greenie 1

37 minutes ago, M_JG said:

We actually have 5 of them (not all singing and dancing, but basic two-dials - time and tem[erature) 

2 in the house, one on each boat and one in the campervan.

Does everything from warming a pasty to a full sunday lunch (including the veg and the yorkies - from scratch)

• Greenie 1

Just now, Alan de Enfield said:

We actually have 5 of them (not all singing and dancing, but basic two-dials - time and tem[erature) 

Does everything from warming a pasty to a full sunday lunch (including the veg and the yorkies - from scratch)

We are going to get one for the caravan we think. We take ours (Ninja AF400) away with us but it's quite bulky and heavy so it will probably be one similar to the one Blackrose was asking about or one of the smaller Cosoris.

3 minutes ago, M_JG said:

We are going to get one for the caravan we think. We take ours (Ninja AF400) away with us but it's quite bulky and heavy so it will probably be one similar to the one Blackrose was asking about or one of the smaller Cosoris.

Ours is more of a 'halogen oven' (it require a little manual intervention' if things need turning over).

Cost is better than an 'air fryer' at around £35

It is 17 litres and can do a full meal for 2 easily.

The reason we have 2 at home is that SWMBO like 'smelly spicy stuff; and I dont want that polluting my chips, so we have 'his & hers'

In the boat and van - she gets what I do for her !

71GMyw65LkL._AC_SL1268_.jpg

I

2 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Of the thousands of kitchen gimmicks that abound in every cupboard in UK kitchens this item is brilliant.

This seems to be the point. Every person I know who has one swears by it and uses it all the time. I don't have one but intend to at some point. I've just thrown out an immaculate breadmaker, virtually unused, with everything. I couldn't give it away. Lots of people who aren't into baking bread bought one and then realised it was still a fair faff compared to buying a loaf from the shop. Hence why loads will have spent their entire lives in the darkness of the back of a cupboard. An air-fryer is about the same size but many people will never move it from a counter-top because they get used that much.

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Ours is more of a 'halogen oven' (it require a little manual intervention' if things need turning over).

Cost is better than an 'air fryer' at around £35

It is 17 litres and can do a full meal for 2 easily.

The reason we have 2 at home is that SWMBO like 'smelly spicy stuff; and I dont want that polluting my chips, so we have 'his & hers'

In the boat and van - she gets what I do for her !

71GMyw65LkL._AC_SL1268_.jpg

I had one of those things years ago before I installed a gas oven. To be honest I was glad to get rid of it as it didn't do a very good job and wasn't used much. I'd hope an air fryer was better than that?

3 hours ago, nicknorman said:

I guess my 2000w pure sine wave inverter could cope with it... I'm assuming that bigger vortex model you posted the link to could cook a small whole chicken?

It says the estimated maximum food capacity is 0.9kg (based on frozen chips) but then it says it has a 5.7 litre capacity. I don't really understand that?

53 minutes ago, blackrose said:

I had one of those things years ago before I installed a gas oven. To be honest I was glad to get rid of it as it didn't do a very good job and wasn't used much. I'd hope an air fryer was better than that?

I guess my 2000w pure sine wave inverter could cope with it... I'm assuming that bigger vortex model you posted the link to could cook a small whole chicken?

It says the estimated maximum food capacity is 0.9kg (based on frozen chips) but then it says it has a 5.7 litre capacity. I don't really understand that?

5.7 litres is the total volume of the cooking space, but if you filled it with 5.7 litres of chips I don’t think they would cook very well. And you’d get very fat.

Yes you would get a small whole chicken in, with spuds etc around it.

5 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

5.7 litres is the total volume of the cooking space, but if you filled it with 5.7 litres of chips I don’t think they would cook very well. And you’d get very fat.

Yes you would get a small whole chicken in, with spuds etc around it.

Ok but 0.9l as a percentage of 5.7l = less than 16%. So you're only supposed to fill the basket to 16% of overall basket volume on this particular model? That doesn't seem very usable.

16 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Ok but 0.9l as a percentage of 5.7l = less than 16%. So you're only supposed to fill the basket to 16% of overall basket volume on this particular model? That doesn't seem very usable.

For chips, yes. Because chips need to be cooked from all sides. If they are piled in on top of each other they will get hot but tend to be soggy. It’s exactly the same when you cook over chips in an oven - you spread them out on a baking tray so that they are only 1 layer deep.

1 hour ago, nicknorman said:

For chips, yes. Because chips need to be cooked from all sides. If they are piled in on top of each other they will get hot but tend to be soggy. It’s exactly the same when you cook over chips in an oven - you spread them out on a baking tray so that they are only 1 layer deep.

I think we must all, in the interest of honest good food, state a fact that there is one way and one way only to have PROPER chips. They MUST be cooked in a deep fat fryer, submerged in very hot fat, preferably dripping or lard and if you must, even some sort of oil. Lets be honest and we all eat them but air " fried " or indeed oven chips are in no way as good, even though some kid themselves that they are. :)

17 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

I think we must all, in the interest of honest good food, state a fact that there is one way and one way only to have PROPER chips. They MUST be cooked in a deep fat fryer, submerged in very hot fat, preferably dripping or lard and if you must, even some sort of oil. Lets be honest and we all eat them but air " fried " or indeed oven chips are in no way as good, even though some kid themselves that they are. :)

Afraid i disagree, some McCain Home Fries out of the freezer and into the air fryer, good shake now and then whilst cooking, bob on ;) 

Not all freezer chips are created equal.

Admit i have not yet found a good Sweet Potato version though, but could just be temp settings need playing with.

2 hours ago, nicknorman said:

I see, thanks. Not being a chip fanatic like the rest of the country I wasn't aware. I rarely eat them and never cook them.

5 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

Afraid i disagree, some McCain Home Fries out of the freezer and into the air fryer, good shake now and then whilst cooking, bob on ;) 

Not all freezer chips are created equal.

Admit i have not yet found a good Sweet Potato version though, but could just be temp settings need playing with.

You are a prime example of someone who kids themselves :)

Edit to add...........you should bloody well know better!! where you come from its still possible to get PROPER fish and chips, if you were from the south of England where its not possible to buy fish and chips then it could be understood!! ;)

Edited by mrsmelly
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Lets be honest and we all eat them but air " fried " or indeed oven chips are in no way as good, even though some kid themselves that they are. :)

No, we don't all eat them, at least not on a regular basis. I can't remember the last time I ate chips. I've never really understood what all the fuss is about - they're just deep fried potatoes. There are so many other much tastier root vegetables, in my humble opinion anyway.

2 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

You are a prime example of someone who kids themselves :)

And you must be a prime example of someone who has failed to appreciate that we all like different things and everyone's individual tastes are just as valid as your own.

2 minutes ago, blackrose said:

No, we don't all eat them, at least not on a regular basis. I can't remember the last time I ate chips. I've never really understood what all the fuss is about - they're just deep fried potatoes. There are so many other much tastier root vegetables, in my humble opinion anyway.

We rarely eat them at home, the missus will not allow me a deep fat fryer so I have to suffer occasional air fried mcains or similar rubbish :( However, we do eat fish and chips out most weeks, and there is a local pub that does them properly as they also own a busy fish and chip shop up the road in New Quay so know what they are doing :)

• Greenie 1

I'm with Mrsmelly on this one.

Air fried or oven cooked chips are not as good or tasty as chips cooked properly as in ones you get from a good chippy.

They are of course more convenient and healthier though so we tend to have these in the main.

The best ones I have found are the Mcain 'gastro' ones.

https://www.iceland.co.uk/p/mccain-gastro-triple-cooked-chips-640g/70827.html

Edited by M_JG

1 hour ago, M_JG said:

I'm with Mrsmelly on this one.

Air fried or oven cooked chips are not as good or tasty as chips cooked properly as in ones you get from a good chippy.

Not as good as far as you're both concerned. Other opinions may differ of course. Different people like different things.

10 hours ago, nicknorman said:

I’d go for this one https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8963857

similar to the one we have, a bit bigger at 5.7litres and cheaper than the Ninja one, but I’m sure yours would be fine.

I've ordered this one from Argos. The plan is to test it empty on a reasonably sunny day and see how the solar, batteries and inverter behave and how much power it uses. If I'm not convinced I'll just take it back.

Edited by blackrose
  • Greenie 1

Just now, blackrose said:

Not as good as far as you're both concerned. Other opinions may differ of course.

I dont feel it necessary to append every post which is expressing an opinion with IMHO, because its obvious its an opinion.

Obviously other opinions may differ. Sometimes stating the bleedin' obvious is superfluous.

HTH.

8 minutes ago, M_JG said:

Obviously other opinions may differ. Sometimes stating the bleedin' obvious is superfluous.

HTH.

Sometimes stating the obvious is superfluous and sometimes it isn't.

In this case it was stated as "a fact that there [was] one way and one way only to have PROPER chips." which you then agreed with. I appreciate your were probably not agreeing with it as a fact, but I don't think it's superfluous to say that It's not a fact, it's an opinion.

Edited by blackrose

2 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Sometimes stating the obvious is superfluous and sometimes it isn't.

In this case it was stated as "a fact that there [was] one way and one way only to have PROPER chips." which you then agreed with. I appreciate your were probably not agreeing with it as a fact, but I don't think it's superfluous to say that It's not a fact, it's an opinion.

Bless, he wants to provoke a row.

Not getting one here matey.

8 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

We have 3, house, boat and campervan brilliant bit of kit as others say if it broke it would be replaced 

1 hour ago, blackrose said:

Not as good as far as you're both concerned. Other opinions may differ of course. Different people like different things.

I've ordered this one from Argos. The plan is to test it empty on a reasonably sunny day and see how the solar, batteries and inverter behave and how much power it uses. If I'm not convinced I'll just take it back.

Tonight we are having a joint of gammon for 4 and roast potatoes. Yes there are only 2 of us, it will be gammon sandwiches for lunch tomorrow!

Instructions on the joint say roast for an hour, which would be about 0.8kwh which our 6kwh of Li batteries can easily take, however the general rule when air frying is to take the specified cooking time and temperature and reduce both of them by 10 to 20%, and of course the heating up time is insignificant. So probably 0.6 or 0.7 kWh. And of course a joint of  meat for 4 is a fairly hefty roasting task!

The other great thing is they are so easy to clean, just put some water and washing up liquid in when it’s still hot, leave for a few mins, swill around a bit then pour out and that is pretty much it.