Air fryer for the boat?

nicknorman

Featured Posts

8 minutes ago, Dyertribe said:

Santa brought me a 4.9 l air fryer. Daughter was donated one from a friend who’s family is too big to make it useful..

Daughter and her flatmate hasn’t turned the oven on since!
im getting to grips with it and have the advantage of having a warming drawer in my kitchen so I can cook meat and leave it to rest in the warming drawer whilst cooking potatoes etc.

I do take issue with some of the fanatics on the FB airfryer groups who want to do everything in an air fryer just because they can.

for example, boiled eggs, why? why, when boiling on the hob is jist as efficient?

Yeah we have cooked soft 'boiled' eggs just to see if was possible and indeed it was!

Cooked the eggs in one drawer and toast in the other.

Wouldnt be the norm though.

28 minutes ago, Dyertribe said:

Their gastro chips are fairly good, the less upmarket ones, I agree are too cardboard for my liking.

If you just cut some potatoes (skin on) into wedges (or cubes), toss them in some olive oil and herbs, and cook them in the air fryer, you get something which tastes a damn sight better than any oven chips... 😉

42 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

Would their "oven  chips" actually taste good in an air fryer because they certainly don't in an oven

:)

No, they are still rubbish. We just suffer air fried chips made from spuds. Funnily enough we were talking chips int pub last night and one of our group is still allowed a proper chip pan full of lard the spawny sod. I, like others am not allowed such niceties very often 😒 I dream of being allowed a nice greasy chip pan :( However, something you will never see in our house is any form of " Spread " its butter every time and unadulterated milk for me from the farm dispenser 200 yards away PROPER milk in proper glass bottles :)

3 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

unadulterated milk for me from the farm dispenser 200 yards away PROPER milk in proper glass bottles :)

I was brought up on proper green foil topped raw unpasteurised milk from the local farm with that nice couple of inches of cream on the top 😋

Best i’m allowed nowadays is blue top whole milk from the shop :( 

The better half has skimmed 🤢

Just now, Hudds Lad said:

I was brought up on proper green foil topped raw unpasteurised milk from the local farm with that nice couple of inches of cream on the top 😋

Sad isnt it 🤥 my missus has that 99.9 percent watered down flavour free crap also, I have my own. There are a few places round here including the petrol station that has a proper milk dispensing machine, and farms that sell milk straight from the cow so to speak. If I run out I will buy blue topped stuff fromt local spar. In fact, ont main road up from us is a farm that sells proper milk, butter etc and amazing milk shakes to order :)

• Greenie 1

35 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

No, they are still rubbish. We just suffer air fried chips made from spuds. Funnily enough we were talking chips int pub last night and one of our group is still allowed a proper chip pan full of lard the spawny sod. I, like others am not allowed such niceties very often 😒 I dream of being allowed a nice greasy chip pan :( However, something you will never see in our house is any form of " Spread " its butter every time and unadulterated milk for me from the farm dispenser 200 yards away PROPER milk in proper glass bottles :) 

They dispense the milk in glass bottles?  Our local farm 1 mile away only uses plastic but you can take your used one back and refill it.

Out doorstep milk is and always has been in glass bottles.

11 minutes ago, Jerra said:

They dispense the milk in glass bottles?  Our local farm 1 mile away only uses plastic but you can take your used one back and refill it.

Out doorstep milk is and always has been in glass bottles.

Indeed they do. There is a machine you can buy the bottle from and a second machine that dispenses straight into the bottle. There is another local one that sells the milk already bottled. There are several such places around. Tray of eggs has recently gone from £3 to £3,50

49 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

Modern milk is pasteurised and homogenised ie fat globules minimised, so that there is no cream line nowadays.

Full fat has the same level of fat as ever, but can't be skimmed.

I think it can be standardised. Any excess fat can be removed and manufactured in to cream or butter.

Edited by LadyG

1 minute ago, LadyG said:

Modern milk is pasteurised and homogenised ie fat globules minimised, so that there is no cream line nowadays

Kids today will never know what it’s like to wonder if you were getting the creamy bit for your morning cereal or if the blue tits had beaten you to it :) 

• Haha 1

Just now, Hudds Lad said:

Kids today will never know what it’s like to wonder if you were getting the creamy bit for your morning cereal or if the blue tits had beaten you to it :) 

Or when the milk freezes in winter, expands and pushes the top off....

6 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Indeed they do. There is a machine you can buy the bottle from and a second machine that dispenses straight into the bottle. There is another local one that sells the milk already bottled. There are several such places around. Tray of eggs has recently gone from £3 to £3,50

Our local one dispenses into the provided bottles as I said but you can take any container which will fit the machine and hold the required amount, I can't off hand remember how much that is.   Our eggs arrive on the doorstep every Wednesday.

6 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Modern milk is pasteurised and homogenised ie fat globules minimised, so that there is no cream line nowadays.

Full fat has the same level of fat as ever, but can't be skimmed.

I think it can be standardised. Any excess fat can be removed and manufactured in to cream or butter.

Ohhhhh nooooooooo it isnt!! If you buy it from yer supermarket it is, but buy direct from certain registered farms you can buy proper milk like what I do. Its often marketed these silly days as raw milk lol. For raw, just substitute proper.

2 minutes ago, M_JG said:

Or when the milk freezes in winter, expands and pushes the top off....

That happened a lot at school innitt. Til a certain milk snatcher came along ;)

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

Kids certainly won't experience that, it was learned behaviour and with the reduction of doorstep deliveries the skill seems to have withered away among them.

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Jerra said:

Our local one dispenses into the provided bottles as I said but you can take any container which will fit the machine and hold the required amount, I can't off hand remember how much that is.   Our eggs arrive on the doorstep every Wednesday.

Yes there are several different syatems. The trick is to ensure its no marketing bullshit that dispenses pasteurised milk.

3 minutes ago, Jerra said:

Kids certainly won't experience that, it was learned behaviour and with the reduction of doorstep deliveries the skill seems to have withered away among them.

They've certainly not forgotten it here, last autumn I had to put a swivelling flap on top of our milk bottle rack to keep the little b*ggers out -- a hole in the top is bad enough, but when they start tipping them over too... 😞

1 minute ago, IanD said:

They've certainly not forgotten it here, last autumn I had to put a swivelling flap on top of our milk bottle rack to keep the little b*ggers out -- a hole in the top is bad enough, but when they start tipping them over too... 😞

That is the first report I have heard in at least 20 years.

Incidentally have you seen them or are you assuming it is Blue Tits.  I seriously doubt Tits tip them over, I have just weighed a bottle of our milk 837g  Weight of a Blue Tit averages 11g.   If it is Blue Tits that would be the eqivalent of a 10 stone man tipping four and three quarter tonnes.

5 minutes ago, Jerra said:

That is the first report I have heard in at least 20 years.

Incidentally have you seen them or are you assuming it is Blue Tits.  I seriously doubt Tits tip them over, I have just weighed a bottle of our milk 837g  Weight of a Blue Tit averages 11g.   If it is Blue Tits that would be the eqivalent of a 10 stone man tipping four and three quarter tonnes.

I haven't seen the culprits, could be anything. Definitely birds not cats or foxes though, I've seen the tops pecked through -- I suppose it's possible there are two culprits, the tits peck the holes and then something else (cat?) tips the bottle over, but I've only ever seen the aftermath... 😞

But I do know we've got plenty of tits in the garden, some of them blue. Must be the cold weather... 😉

Edited by IanD

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

Funnily enough I got all nostalgic about proper chips last weekend, a plan maybe afoot.

Butter all the way

18 minutes ago, Jerra said:

I heard a program recently that claimed the learned behaviour came about almost overnight, a sort of Titmail

14 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

Those little half or third pint bottles we got at school, frozen in winter, warm in summer. At least until Maggie took ‘em away :( 

Gopping then gopping now, cheese yes, yogurt yes, milk bleagh, even drink my tea black

Just now, IanD said:

I haven't seen the culprits, could be anything. Definitely birds not cats or foxes though, I've seen the tops pecked through...

I was wondering if there were two culprits one pecking and one tipping. 

You don't by any chance have pheasants nearby?  I have heard of Pheasants pecking bottle tops and at 980g for a female and 1400 for a male would be well able to tip a bottle.

5 minutes ago, Jerra said:

I was wondering if there were two culprits one pecking and one tipping. 

You don't by any chance have pheasants nearby?  I have heard of Pheasants pecking bottle tops and at 980g for a female and 1400 for a male would be well able to tip a bottle.

Definitely no pheasants in Northolt -- plenty of pigeons, crows, parakeets, blackbirds, thrushes, jays and woodpeckers (occasionally), loads of squirrels, and tits of all types, feathered and not... 😉

2 minutes ago, IanD said:

Definitely no pheasants in Northolt -- plenty of pigeons, crows, parakeets, blackbirds, thrushes, jays and woodpeckers (occasionally), loads of squirrels, and tits of all types, feathered and not... 😉

Puzzling.  thanks for the information.

4 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

Funnily enough I got all nostalgic about proper chips last weekend, a plan maybe afoot.

Butter all the way

I heard a program recently that claimed the learned behaviour came about almost overnight, a sort of Titmail

Gopping then gopping now, cheese yes, yogurt yes, milk bleagh, even drink my tea black

I don't drink tea, but do take my coffee black.

That started in my late teens. A group of us used to go back to a friends house after closing time for coffee. Our host used to serve the coffee black, with the milk in a separate jug.

It wasn't that he was posh, it was that he had put food colouring in the coffee cups, and found it hilarious to see peoples faces as they put the milk in and their coffee turned red, blue or green. He never tired of this joke, so I began to drink my coffee black to deny him his fun.

After a while I found I preferred the taste of coffee without milk.

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1