Jump to content

Any idea why?


Featured Posts

Was checking the fire extinguishers yesterday, and this one in the engine room has magnets stuck on it, any good reason why?

 

Also, how old is too old? All three are in pressure according to the gauge, but two are 2007 vintage and the one with magnets 2006. BSS blurb doesn’t seem to mention any age limit that I can see. 
 

 

2479BDFF-59B6-43F3-B635-E39FF727B6B2.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Good place to keep magnets, you obviously remember where they are.  I keep a couple of magnets on the end of my too box, but I shall move them to a fire extinguisher as it’s a good idea.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The puzzling thing is the magnets appear to be curved to fit the shape of the fire extinguisher cylinder. Being probably less than 4" in diameter I'd say a flat magnet simply would not stick on all over like those in the photo.

 

Therefore, they must be either specially made curved to mate cosily with the fire extinguisher body and so present for specific reason, or they are made from that magnetised rubber that vehicle signs are made from.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Magnets lose their magnetism and die when they exceed their Curie temperature. These magnets have obviously decided that their best chance of surviving a boat fire is to be attached to an extinguisher! 😀

  • Greenie 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, MtB said:

The puzzling thing is the magnets appear to be curved to fit the shape of the fire extinguisher cylinder. Being probably less than 4" in diameter I'd say a flat magnet simply would not stick on all over like those in the photo.

 

Therefore, they must be either specially made curved to mate cosily with the fire extinguisher body and so present for specific reason, or they are made from that magnetised rubber that vehicle signs are made from.

 

 

Out of a dead starter or some other motor I would guess.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

As they’re not doing any harm or getting in the way i guess i’ll just leave them there. Just wanted to check they didn’t serve some arcane purpose as a quick internet search yielded no useful results.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

As they’re not doing any harm or getting in the way i guess i’ll just leave them there. Just wanted to check they didn’t serve some arcane purpose as a quick internet search yielded no useful results.

 

Picking up dropped pins and screws but not much good in a steel bilge. Also, for taping to a length of wood to retrieve tools from tight spaces.

 

I used one to secure spare keys in a well hidden and difficult to get at location, having gone to the boat once and found I had left the keys at home.

Edited by Tony Brooks
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 21/05/2022 at 17:03, Hudds Lad said:

Was checking the fire extinguishers yesterday, and this one in the engine room has magnets stuck on it, any good reason why?

 

Also, how old is too old? All three are in pressure according to the gauge, but two are 2007 vintage and the one with magnets 2006. BSS blurb doesn’t seem to mention any age limit that I can see. 
 

 

2479BDFF-59B6-43F3-B635-E39FF727B6B2.jpeg

 

Can't you put a bit more information in your thread title?  I hate it when people do this. I've a busy enough life as it is without wasting my precious time having to open a thread to see what it's about, only to then find out I'm not interested in its subject. 😉😀

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Grassman said:

 

Can't you put a bit more information in your thread title?  I hate it when people do this. I've a busy enough life as it is without wasting my precious time having to open a thread to see what it's about, only to then find out I'm not interested in its subject. 😉😀

Seeing as it’s you and you’ve asked so nicely, no 😛 

 

It can’t be edited now i’m afraid, i’ll claim in my defence that i’ve been reading too many online news headlines recently and have become subconsciously infected with clickbaititis. I’d tell you more but you’d not believe what happened next! 

  • Greenie 1
  • Happy 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 22/05/2022 at 14:03, magnetman said:

Shurflo pump motor magnets. 

Has anyone ever managed to re-fit these magnets to a Shurflo and get it running? They seem to have been glued in  with the glue having a finite life. The magnets being magnetic(!)  don't want to go where they need to.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes I've stuck em back in with Araldite after a pump was submerged for a long time, they'd come adrift and were clinging to the armature. It worked for a few years after.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
On 24/05/2022 at 08:14, Grassman said:

 

Can't you put a bit more information in your thread title?  I hate it when people do this. I've a busy enough life as it is without wasting my precious time having to open a thread to see what it's about, only to then find out I'm not interested in its subject. 😉😀

Lol, as the most interesting bits of the forum are often to be found after the first few responses, I don't think it matters, but I suppose the OP could have titled it, " why has someone stuck magnets on my fire extinguisher?"

However we have now discovered they should be shaken frequently and something about Shureflo pumps, so I think we are better off than we were before.

 

 

 

 

Edited by LadyG
  • Greenie 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.