CRT Spotters

Barry Orton

Featured Posts

5 hours ago, dmr said:

Good question.

I believe we got an overstay warning email whilst moored on the offside at Hebden Bridge, just up from yourself. When I questioned this they said they did not realise we were on the offside.  Its just possible we were spotted on the towpath side both just before and just after using the offside mooring.

We hope to be spending some time each year on an offside mooring but don't really want to give up our CC status.

And what about winter moorings???

CRT winter moorings are a way of CRT increasing their income. 

I don't understand why you are reluctant to relinquish cc status, to me there is no status, other than the requirement to move every 14 days, if you are taking a mooring, to my mind, this means you now have a home mooring a d therefore the 14 day rule is not relevant 

23 minutes ago, LadyG said:

CRT winter moorings are a way of CRT increasing their income. 

I don't understand why you are reluctant to relinquish cc status, to me there is no status, other than the requirement to move every 14 days, if you are taking a mooring, to my mind, this means you now have a home mooring a d therefore the 14 day rule is not relevant 

I think the law says that as a CCer you can stay in one place for 14 days rather than you have to move every 14 days, so with a home mooring you don't actually have that privilege, so yes, the 14 day rule (privilege) might not apply. As a home moorer you are not required to use your boat bonefide for navigation so you could do all sorts of bizzare and ingenious other things with it if you wished. 😀

2 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Did mine tonight 

image.png.3aafdf9d3284092c040a68a87a834817.png

Right, must be because we are roving traders that we don't get a number.

It makes me sad/cross that CRT are now so into their rebranding and spend so much on signs but can't do a decent image on the licence, the logo is a blow up of a small/low resolution  image that looks really bad close up. I will probably take it off and put the old BW logo on again, or might even go for BWB this year 😀

17 minutes ago, dmr said:

It makes me sad/cross that CRT are now so into their rebranding and spend so much on signs but can't do a decent image on the licence, the logo is a blow up of a small/low resolution  image that looks really bad close up. I will probably take it off and put the old BW logo on again, or might even go for BWB this year 😀

Far lower quality than the letter head 

image.png.c8521d5d6ecbb9ee81cca74e80e46d00.png

5 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Thankyou, that's my 10 years ahead paid for.....😎....joke, but take that down, because someone will do it.

As I sort of said, we do a bit of editing on our licence every year, so creating one from scratch would not be difficult, they are only to keep the public/other boaters happy anyway.

As a 70 footer ours costs a fair few bob and so at the least I expect a bit of colour,  so we do that ourselves. 😀

As our lovely RIP Lawro Hogg said, someone cloned his boat licence and he had a call from CRT questioning why his boat had been overstaying up the Shroppie. 

He said "have you looked out of your window, as the boat is moored where you can see it"

Someone had cloned his licence plate and was overstaying which didnt go down too well with our Hoggy.

8 hours ago, matty40s said:

Thankyou, that's my 10 years ahead paid for.....😎....joke, but take that down, because someone will do it.

I never used to think £1,000 or so for two of those little paper squares was very good value. But now we don't have to display them any more so why buy them? 

(...... also a joke before anyone starts..... )

A spotter came along the towpath at Aspley Wharf a few days ago.

I innocently asked if he was a volunteer.He looked at me as if I had been scraped off his shoe,and said no,he wasn't that daft.

I'm thinking it would be a nice retirement job for me.

21 hours ago, David Mack said:

I have had a continuous cruiser licence, but taken a short term paid for mooring at a (different) boatyard each winter. I have never (knowingly) changed my licence status from continuous cruiser to home moorer in the autumn and back in the spring.  I have assumed that if I am on a paid for private mooring for 4 or 5 months I won't be identified as overstaying. Should I be notifying CRT and involving them in extra admin to no real purpose?

After we moved moorings from the boat museum to our current one, I got an email saying I had overstayed my continuous cruiser agreement. I said I had no such agreement as I had moorings. It took some sorting out especially as the ‘overstaying’ ( on private land off towpath) in a line of boats all on moorings kept being reported.

Didnt help being 13000 miles away at work.

27 minutes ago, MartynG said:

I have only twice seen anyone  checking for unlicensed boats although we are logged  every time we go through a manned lock, which is almost every time we go out of the marina.

Certainly on the Trent (and I assume others) the Lock logging is in no way connected or 'joined up with' the boat movement logging.

Some time ago a boat was taken into enforcement and he argued that whist he may have been seen on a Mooring on the Trent for in excess of 14 days ( 2 logging checks) he had been to Nottingham and back in the mean time - this could be proven by the lock-logs.

C&RT said the lock-logs could not be used as they were not complied or maintained by the enforcement team. The lockie at Nether Lock offered to support the boater as he had all Lock movements by boat registration number and date on his 'hand-held' computer. C&RT refused and it all seemed to go quiet and I assume the enforcement was quietly dropped, but, without the intervention of the lockie it may have been a very different story.

2 hours ago, roland elsdon said:

After we moved moorings from the boat museum to our current one, I got an email saying I had overstayed my continuous cruiser agreement. I said I had no such agreement as I had moorings. It took some sorting out especially as the ‘overstaying’ ( on private land off towpath) in a line of boats all on moorings kept being reported.

Didnt help being 13000 miles away at work.

Impressive!😁

37 minutes ago, MartynG said:

I have only twice seen anyone  checking for unlicensed boats although we are logged  every time we go through a manned lock, which is almost every time we go out of the marina.

Alan beat me too it but as he says the lock loggings do not get logged with your sightings by the licence checkers.

Out of interest we had started requesting a copy of our sightings log when we renewed our licence each year. Some years we were not spotted at all despite being out and about all year. Other years we were spotted quite a lot of times in a short space of time. 

They inspect the boats in Burton Waters on a regular basis.

2 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

C&RT said the lock-logs could not be used as they were not complied or maintained by the enforcement team. 

How ridiculous 

Why do they bother keeping a log of the  the boat name and index at the manned locks?

2 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

It will be in the window like many other hundred boaters if anyone wants to copy it.

I am surprised there is not widespread abuse of the licensing system.  Or perhaps there is ?