Jump to content

CRT North West management ....


LadyG

Featured Posts

So, I'm broken down, long term, and ask CRT for some electricity to do some welding on site. 

Pased up the line, to "miss MANAGEMENT" answer is No. 

Not our job to help any stakeholder. 

Hope you get a personised December message from Richard Parry. Or is he another stone waller? 

I wouldn't be in the NW if they were capable of maintaining their systems rather than waiting for catastrophic failure. To think I once considered boaters to be grumpy old men with nothing better to do than complain. Amazes me anyone bothers to navigate, I won't be moving for months. 

Edited by LadyG
  • Unimpressed 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, haggis said:

Not sure why C-RT should provide electricity to a boater because they are broken down long term. It is not their fault you are broken down. Why not hire a Genny to give you power to do your welding ? 

I'm not in charge of hiring generators, but anyone normal person would provide electric if asked, the local householder was out, as it happens, otherwise he would have provided it. 

CRT NW don't seem to have take any responsibility for anything, regardless of how easy it would be for them to help. The guys on the ground drive around most days, but I cannot imagine what their superiors actually do, certainly not proactive or helpful, otherwise the canal would not be in semi permanent closure. 

I just hope they enjoy their paid holidays and cushy salaries. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Why not insist on connection to the National Grid as part of your licence fee, in fact, to save you hassle running out of gas, get connected to the gas main too, and make sure they change the cooker jets free of charge too. 

Sheesh.

I don't think it's unreasonable to ask for a little help, as it happens no welding was needed, status is still broken down, and will be for another month or more, I cant snap my fingers to sort this, or I would have done so already. 

If I was employed by a failing Charitable  organisation, I would make, some effort to give a favourable impression to my stakeholders, instead of which, they give the impression of being the classic jobsworth type

Edited by LadyG
  • Greenie 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I'm not in charge of hiring generators, but anyone normal person would provide electric if asked, the local householder was out, as it happens, otherwise he would have provided it. 

CRT NW don't seem to have take any responsibility for anything, regardless of how easy it would be for them to help. The guys on the ground drive around most days, but I cannot imagine what their superiors actually do, certainly not proactive or helpful, otherwise the canal would not be in semi permanent closure. 

I just hope they enjoy their paid holidays and cushy salaries. 

Anyone can hire a generator! We did when we were without our engine for several days. I wouldn't dream of asking a householder to give me power !!!

 

Haggis

  • Greenie 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Hell woman you want everything don't you? Do you think you are entitled to the same as someone living in a house, paying council tax, and connection charges to the utility companies.

 

There is one thing worse than a grumpy old man on a boat.  Its a grumpy needy woman on a boat.

 

If you want a generator,  phone a hire company, get one delivered and put your hand in your pocket.  Job done. 

Coming on here moaning about being under assisted by the charity will not achieve anything.

 

I paid a company to sort the problem, and as  happens they turned up without a generator, it was them who wanted to use the onsite electric point. Not needed anyway, boat still broken. It's not this one incident that makes me think CRT NW have a problem helping people.

We boaters are stakeholders, important people in a charitable organisation, any big organisation I have worked for does not give out this 'I don't give a damn attitude". 

Edited by LadyG
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Bloody Hell!!  And people complain about the younger generation acting as if they are entitled!

CRT's job is to run the waterways, not provide facilities for you to repair your boat. If you need welding and you can't get your boat to a suitable boatyard, then call out a mobile welder. While some may expect a power supply on site, many can come out with a generator if you arrange this with them in advance. Google and a phone should enable you to find someone local.

Edited by David Mack
  • Greenie 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

So, I'm broken down, long term, and ask CRT for some electricity to do some welding on site. 

Pased up the line, to "miss MANAGEMENT" answer is No. 

Not our job to help any stakeholder. 

Hope you get a personised December message from Richard Parry. Or is he another stone waller? 

I wouldn't be in the NW if they were capable of maintaining their systems rather than waiting for catastrophic failure. To think I once considered boaters to be grumpy old men with nothing better to do than complain. Amazes me anyone bothers to navigate, I won't be moving for months. 

 

You really do think the 'world owes you something' don't you !!

  • Greenie 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Bloody Hell!!  And people complain about the younger generation acting as if they were entitled!

CRT's job is to run the waterways, not provide facilities for you to repair your boat. If you need welding and you can't get your boat to a suitable boatyard, then call out a mobile welder. While some may expect a power supply on site, many can come out with a generator if you arrange this with them in advance. Google and a phone should enable you to find someone local.

Thanks for your advice, not helpful, as it happens. 

Do you think I have not tried to get this, apparently difficult job sorted?

I have tried

I happen to be in the middle of nowhere, utilites are limited, there is no way to get to decent facilties until a boater comes along and tows me. There are no boats moving in my direction. 

Canal Contracting can't do anything, it's just a difficult situation. 

Before I bought a boat, I read up all about boaters being a community of helpful folks, well I can tell you, they ain't like that. A few decent guys, but most on here seem to be profession nit pickers. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

CRT do usually respond in a real emergency, but they do fail sometimes.

 

They should not be providing a free service to cover breakdowns etc as the various boatyards and boat fixers who make a living out of this would be very unhappy.

 

Providing emergency access to electricity (at a service facility?????) is a tricky one. Quite a few boaters (sorry, cheap housing people) would feel that winter itself is an emergency and they should be entitled to plug their boat into CRT electricity and suck out 3kW 24 hours a day.

  • Greenie 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, dmr said:

CRT do usually respond in a real emergency, but they do fail sometimes.

 

They should not be providing a free service to cover breakdowns etc as the various boatyards and boat fixers who make a living out of this would be very unhappy.

 

Providing emergency access to electricity (at a service facility?????) is a tricky one. Quite a few boaters (sorry, cheap housing people) would feel that winter itself is an emergency and they should be entitled to plug their boat into CRT electricity and suck out 3kW 24 hours a day.

I generate electricity using my engine. Why would you think that was the motivation. 

 

22 minutes ago, dmr said:

CRT do usually respond in a real emergency, but they do fail sometimes.

 

They should not be providing a free service to cover breakdowns etc as the various boatyards and boat fixers who make a living out of this would be very unhappy.

 

Providing emergency access to electricity (at a service facility?????) is a tricky one. Quite a few boaters (sorry, cheap housing people) would feel that winter itself is an emergency and they should be entitled to plug their boat into CRT electricity and suck out 3kW 24 hours a day.

As it happens the contractors thoughthey might be able to sort the job on the site, I am not asking for free electricity, I don't even use the free showers.

It was the contractors who asked for electricity, which you would know if you read the thread. 

The point of the thread is to point out that the CRT is a charitable organisation, it has few friends, minimal funding, and really needs to get the stakeholders on their side 🐶

Edited by LadyG
  • Unimpressed 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

You said initially that you had asked for power to do some welding. Nothing about contractors. Yes, C&RT have minimal funding but what they do have is for maintaining the waterways, bit for providing power to boaters or their contractors. 

Sorry to hear you are still broken down but I am sure being moored at services will help you cope. 

 

Haggis

 

  • Greenie 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am very confused...

You are moored near a CRT service block and you organised contractors to come and sort your breakdown, they needed electricity and they hadn't come equipped with the means to supply it so asked to plug into an outlet in a service block.

 

Surely this is the contractors job to come equipped to do the work, why did they turn up so ill-equipped 

 

I don't see how CRT are under any obligation to provide power to you anyway but who did you ask?

 

 

  • Greenie 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, haggis said:

You said initially that you had asked for power to do some welding. Nothing about contractors. Yes, C&RT have minimal funding but what they do have is for maintaining the waterways, bit for providing power to boaters or their contractors. 

Sorry to hear you are still broken down but I am sure being moored at services will help you cope. 

 

Haggis

 

 

4 minutes ago, haggis said:

You said initially that you had asked for power to do some welding. Nothing about contractors. Yes, C&RT have minimal funding but what they do have is for maintaining the waterways, bit for providing power to boaters or their contractors. 

Sorry to hear you are still broken down but I am sure being moored at services will help you cope. 

 

Haggis

 

The problem is  that they are spending large sums of money on outrageous salaries to top management. The government have told them to raise the profile of the CRT, is the eyes of the public. They have done this by expensive re branding inluding littering the countryside with blue plastic signage. I have not examined the accounts, but I can be pretty sure that the rebranding and plastic signage will not be identified clearly. 

  • Unimpressed 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, LadyG said:

As it happens the contractors thoughthey might be able to sort the job on the site, I am not asking for free electricity, I don't even use the free showers.

It was the contractors who asked for electricity, which you would know if you read the thread. 

If you are asking contractors to do a job in the middle of nowhere then the absence of a mains electricity supply is foreseeable. You can of course ask the neighbours (including CRT) if they can make a supply available, but you can hardly complain if they can't/won't. The likely need to bring in a generator is surely something that should have been considered in initial discussions with the contractor. Yes it may cost, but boat ownership does.

CRT can be sympathetic to your situation, and are are usually flexible in relation to movement requirements when people are genuinely broken down or hemmed in by stoppages. But it isn't their role to get involved in actually solving your problem. 

  • Greenie 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

I am very confused...

You are moored near a CRT service block and you organised contractors to come and sort your breakdown, they needed electricity and they hadn't come equipped with the means to supply it so asked to plug into an outlet in a service block.

 

Surely this is the contractors job to come equipped to do the work, why did they turn up so ill-equipped 

 

I don't see how CRT are under any obligation to provide power to you anyway but who did you ask?

 

 

CRT are not under obligation, I did not say they were, the contractors phoned their local contact in the CRT, presumably thinking they could get electricity, without making a great fuss. 

The point of the thread is to say, this would be an opportunity to assist a boater in a difficult situation, but that does not seem to be something CRT  NW do, it's not the first time I have met this attitude around here. 

Perhaps I was just lucky when I was in the NE region. 

I am still immobile, we did not need electricity, because no welding was done on site that day, as no repair could be carried out.  

I am amazed that CRT do not consider that boaters are significant stakeholders who should be treated with appropriate consideration. 

The website wants me to donate, to buy Waterside moorings, and does not provide an email address or phone number for salaried CRT management. 

The call centre is adequate, but are acting as gatekeepers, I do not like this way of working at all. You may think it is a good system, but it annoys me no end as I am a stakeholder, not a member of the public who is one of the millions of people who use the towpath x times millions every year 

 

Edited by LadyG
  • Horror 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I generate electricity using my engine. Why would you think that was the motivation. 

 

As it happens the contractors thoughthey might be able to sort the job on the site, I am not asking for free electricity, I don't even use the free showers.

It was the contractors who asked for electricity, which you would know if you read the thread. 

The point of the thread is to point out that the CRT is a charitable organisation, it has few friends, minimal funding, and really needs to get the stakeholders on their side 🐶

 

Sorry, I was not suggesting that you are a cheap housing person who would take advantage of free electricity, just pointing out that there are now many people living on boats who would and so its not really surprising that CRT are hesitant to do it. Many welding sets do stretch the supply to its limits which might be another factor, plus I suspect a load of elfin safety concerns..

  • Greenie 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, dmr said:

 

Sorry, I was not suggesting that you are a cheap housing person who would take advantage of free electricity, just pointing out that there are now many people living on boats who would and so its not really surprising that CRT are hesitant to do it. Many welding sets do stretch the supply to its limits which might be another factor, plus I suspect a load of elfin safety concerns..

And if they give you the electricity for free, people would complain about CRT resources being spent on an individual boater; but if they charge you for the electricity used, there is no meter to quantify your consumption and there is a significant administrative overhead in raising a bill and taking payment, the cost of which can't be included in the charge raised. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

and forgot to add, we have had a couple of encounters with CRT NW recently. We got grounded due to low water on a long pound below a flight of short pounds so asked for help and non was available, but we also got caught up in the recent issues at the Rochdale summit and CRT really did put a lot of effort into helping, so I reckon its a "could do better" but very far from pathetic.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • DHutch changed the title to CRT North West management ....
  • DHutch locked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.