CRT North West management ....

LadyG

Featured Posts

7 minutes ago, LadyG said:

CRT are not under obligation, I did not say they were, the contractors phoned their local contact in the CRT, presumably thinking they could get electricity, without making a great fuss. 

The point of the thread is to say, this would be an opportunity to assist a boater in a difficult situation, but that does not seem to be something CRT  NW do, it's not the first time I have met this attitude around here. 

Perhaps I was just lucky when I was in the NE region

Are the contractors your contractors ? Or are they CRT contractors working nearby offering help?

OK, I can see that asking CRT to use some electric is reasonable.  What is their upside if they say yes?

They get a warm fuzzy glow from being helpful.

They, perhaps, see the stern of a boat they want to move on.

Downsides?

They have set a precedent.  Every boater with a problem that might be helped by mains electricity pitches up at a services and demands power. (CRT and BW before have previously had problems like this at another service facility, where power was being taken without payment or approval- stolen, if you like.)

Elf and Safety issues rear their head

Public liability issues come into play.

If you engaged brain and thought about why you might have got the response you did, before selecting typing mode, it might stop you making a fool of yourself.

N

• Greenie 3

I have to say I opened this thread with intrigue as in 2015 I was stuck in the North West due to a breach and the then management of CRT were....to put it politely....useless in offering any assistance to the boats concerned or indeed repairing said breach.

However wanting CRT to supply power for your contractor is taking their role a bit far...Any site welder should be self contained or at least have the means to organise becoming self contained. Part of living on a boat is you need to organise yourself and provide whats needed be that making sure you dont run out of water or making sure you arent stuck by a planned stoppage. I really dont think you can place the blame for your woes at the door of CRT...they may be lacking in many things but complaints like yours tend to mask the real issues that they are lacking in.

If you need power then hire a suitable welder/Generator or employ a contractor who has the right kit. If you need a decent thickness of steel welding its unlikey a suitable welder will run from a 13A outlet anyhow...not to mention the minefield that is the PAT requirements or using 240v equipment near water etc etc. 

I understood from the initial posts that the wonderful all singing & dancing River Canal Rescue were "contracted" to you to do the job. You refused help from several other boaters.

Is it RCR that have let you down?  Are you confused as to who is who and does what?

You pay your licence to C&RT to use the waterways,  You pay RCR your subs for them to turn out and fix your boat when it breaks, which seems to be frequently.

If you are dissatisfied with the service from RCR, stop paying them and find your own repairer.

If you are dissatisfied with C&RT, stop paying for a licence and clear off the canals and stop moaning on here.     Please.

• Greenie 1
  • Love 2

6 minutes ago, Jerra said:

Which as you know doesn't answer the question, but then you have a habit of avoiding answering simple polite questions don't you.

I don’t really get what you were driving at? Are you suggesting that boaters should pay more? Are you suggesting they don’t deserve to get navigation?  I think it’s clear that as a boater it’s a bit rich to expect them to offer free access to power for a welder but your point does nothing to help any argument…unless you are of the opinion that boats are an expensive inconvenience. 

I would have thought that an ex teacher was intelligent enough to use Google to find such an answer but it clearly seems that isn’t the case. 

Edited by frangar

3 hours ago, LadyG said:

Thanks for your advice, not helpful, as it happens. 

Do you think I have not tried to get this, apparently difficult job sorted?

I have tried

I happen to be in the middle of nowhere, utilites are limited, there is no way to get to decent facilties until a boater comes along and tows me. There are no boats moving in my direction. 

Canal Contracting can't do anything, it's just a difficult situation. 

Before I bought a boat, I read up all about boaters being a community of helpful folks, well I can tell you, they ain't like that. A few decent guys, but most on here seem to be profession nit pickers. 

Many on here and elsewhere have tried to help you, received no thanks and just further complaining and expectations without you bothering to even listen to good advice, do you really wonder why more help isn't forthcoming?   You need to learn some humility if you wish for further help. 

• Greenie 2

16 minutes ago, frangar said:

More than any other directly paying user….

Property rents etc contribute more than boaters, even water extraction and discharge licences contribute at an ever increasing rate and are now not so far away from boaters contribution.

Boating income is falling (see table on the RH side of the picture)

Screenshot (775).png

Edited by Alan de Enfield

4 minutes ago, frangar said:

I don’t really get what you were driving at? Are you suggesting that boaters should pay more? Are you suggesting they don’t deserve to get navigation?  I think it’s clear that as a boater it’s a bit rich to expect them to offer free access to power for a welder but your point does nothing to help any argument…unless you are of the opinion that boats are an expensive inconvenience. 

I thought it was a simple question.  You take the total income CRT get then you find out how much comes from boaters.  You divide how much comes from boaters by total income and multiply over 100.  That gives you the percentage of the income which comes from boaters.

A simple calculation if you have the two figures which I haven't.

Just now, Jerra said:

I thought it was a simple question.  You take the total income CRT get then you find out how much comes from boaters.  You divide how much comes from boaters by total income and multiply over 100.  That gives you the percentage of the income which comes from boaters.

A simple calculation if you have the two figures which I haven't.

And your point is what? I still dont see what this has to do with if CRT should provide facilities for contractors to use?

5 minutes ago, frangar said:

And your point is what? I still dont see what this has to do with if CRT should provide facilities for contractors to use?

My point is I want to know what percentage of CRT income is from boaters.   The question I thought was simple and clear enough.

Fortunately Alan understood the question and has provided the figures so boaters contribute a little less than £1 for every £5 CRT has.

Thank you Alan.

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Jerra said:

My point is I want to know what percentage of CRT income is from boaters.   The question I thought was simple and clear enough.

Fortunately Alan understood the question and has provided the figures so boaters contribute a little less than £1 for every £5 CRT has.

Thank you Alan.

I know it wasn't hard to find but Im not your lackey!! You might like to do something for yourself for a change.....

17 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Boating income is falling (see table on the RH side of the picture)

And that is over a period when fees have increased .

Therefore there are fewer boats on the water ways ?

7 minutes ago, frangar said:

I know it wasn't hard to find but Im not your lackey!! You might like to do something for yourself for a change.....

Show me the post where I said "Frangar find me the figures"?

Nobody asked you to find them and you didn't say it was because you didn't want to find them, you tried to pretend that you didn't understand a question a junior school child could understand and work out.

I knew however that there are many posters on the forum who aren't cantankerous and are willing to help and not make an issue out of giving the help.  All you had to do was sit back and allow them to be helpful.  Instead you make an issue out of it and pretend I had asked you to do something.  Do get a grip.

1 minute ago, Jerra said:

Show me the post where I said "Frangar find me the figures"?

Nobody asked you to find them and you didn't say it was because you didn't want to find them, you tried to pretend that you didn't understand a question a junior school child could understand and work out.

I knew however that there are many posters on the forum who aren't cantankerous and are willing to help and not make an issue out of giving the help.  All you had to do was sit back and allow them to be helpful.  Instead you make an issue out of it and pretend I had asked you to do something.  Do get a grip.

You still haven't answered my question on what bearing it has on the original post.....It wasn't a hard question to answer Id have thought.....

1 minute ago, Tracy D'arth said:

I didn't,  just sick of the squabbles in public on here, some folk need to grow up or shut up, it spoils the threads and put others off.

Yet your post below is so welcoming to new posters.....

1 hour ago, Tracy D'arth said:

I understood from the initial posts that the wonderful all singing & dancing River Canal Rescue were "contracted" to you to do the job. You refused help from several other boaters.

Is it RCR that have let you down?  Are you confused as to who is who and does what?

You pay your licence to C&RT to use the waterways,  You pay RCR your subs for them to turn out and fix your boat when it breaks, which seems to be frequently.

If you are dissatisfied with the service from RCR, stop paying them and find your own repairer.

If you are dissatisfied with C&RT, stop paying for a licence and clear off the canals and stop moaning on here.     Please.

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, LadyG said:

The problem is  that they are spending large sums of money on outrageous salaries to top management. The government have told them to raise the profile of the CRT, is the eyes of the public. They have done this by expensive re branding inluding littering the countryside with blue plastic signage. I have not examined the accounts, but I can be pretty sure that the rebranding and plastic signage will not be identified clearly. 

🥳