CRT North West management ....

LadyG

Featured Posts

4 minutes ago, frangar said:

You still haven't answered my question on what bearing it has on the original post.....It wasn't a hard question to answer Id have thought.....

The bearing it had was simple.  I have said before but just for you I will say it again.   Boaters have been mentioned as important stakeholders so I wanted to know what percentage of the income was directly from them.

I don't know how you missed it when I said it before.   I suppose you are looking for some conspiracy or ulterior motive.   Sorry to disappoint I was just wanting to satisfy my curiosity and add to my knowledge.

2 hours ago, dmr said:

and forgot to add, we have had a couple of encounters with CRT NW recently. We got grounded due to low water on a long pound below a flight of short pounds so asked for help and non was available, but we also got caught up in the recent issues at the Rochdale summit and CRT really did put a lot of effort into helping, so I reckon its a "could do better" but very far from pathetic.

Surely that's for C&RT to help if they have not maintained minimum depth in a navigable channel? 

Not the same as mechanical breakdown for which the repair is not C&RT's responsibility.

8 minutes ago, MartynG said:

Surely that's for C&RT to help if they have not maintained minimum depth in a navigable channel? 

Not the same as mechanical breakdown for which the repair is not C&RT's responsibility.

I was cross that CRT did not help, and made a complaint, but I suspect its a bit like phoning the police on a Friday night, there are just not enough people available to meet the demand.  It would have been better if CRT had told us this rather than saying it will be over an hour (and then not turning up) as we could have started sooner on sorting ourselves out. I suspect that a lot of new boaters, especially liveaboards, expect a lot more help than is realistically available so things are going to get worse.

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Boating income is falling (see table on the RH side of the picture)

But is that a trend, or merely the impact of the pandemic? When Covid first hit CRT gave evevery boater a free extra month's licence, so that must appear in the accounts as a reduction in licence income.

6 minutes ago, David Mack said:

But is that a trend, or merely the impact of the pandemic? When Covid first hit CRT gave evevery boater a free extra month's licence, so that must appear in the accounts as a reduction in licence income.

I think it “cost” them in the region of £1.3m in lost income. If that’s in figures quoted I’m not sure. 

5 minutes ago, Quattrodave said:

My car broke down this morning, I immediately phoned the DVLA and insisted they get out and fix it... I was utterly shocked when they declined....

Try the county council or the highways agency😁

Just read this thread from the start and equally perplexed, amazed and amused. It's not the navigation authority's responsibility to assist in boat maintenance any more than it would be for the police and DVLA to help fix broken down cars. There sound to be two options in this scenario. 1. Engage professionals with the equipment to provide power to do work on remote site. 2. Engage professionals to tow the boat to a yard where work can be done more easily. Expecting CaRT to jump to each boater's need or banking on a free tow from a charitable passing boater isn't a realistic position to hold.

6 hours ago, LadyG said:

I'm not in charge of hiring generators, but anyone normal person would provide electric if asked,  < snip >

An electric what?

Or do you mean electricity?

Just as bad as Lake Windermere or, much worse, train station.

Ugh!

Edited by Victor Vectis
  • Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Iain_S said:

So, is the rudder and rudder stock still attached to the boat?

I doubt she will or is capable of telling you. There is some talk of the rudder shaft being cut through and welded back together previously to enable a prop change or a rudder bearing change, its not been made clear.  I think she has trapped it in a double lock gate on the Leeds Liverpool when locking in the dark single handed.

I am told that this is also on another forum, She calls herself "socks" on Thunderboater.

I sympathise with anyone stuck with a breakdown but its silly to cast about finding someone to blame for ones predicaments especially when you have broken your own boat and refused help from other boaters because you want RCR to do it.

I think this is the same lady who moaned about selling her flat in Glasgow some time ago?

34 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

There’s no doubt that NW region is the worst, but I don’t think failing to supply a generator to a boater needing welding counts against them.

All that complaining and then says "as it happens no welding was needed", so what was it all about - no attention for the last couple of days ?

14 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

All that complaining and then says "as it happens no welding was needed", so what was it all about - no attention for the last couple of days ?

CRT useless at providing Gaffa Tape to boaters in NW, should be sent out with licensing email.

17 hours ago, David Mack said:

And if they give you the electricity for free, people would complain about CRT resources being spent on an individual boater; but if they charge you for the electricity used, there is no meter to quantify your consumption and there is a significant administrative overhead in raising a bill and taking payment, the cost of which can't be included in the charge raised. 

I have no idea, if that was the issue, a donation would have covered it. The p