Internet/data access on boats -- some tips

IanD

Featured Posts

Remember some years ago when 'everyone' went onto the Three Unlimited deal at £15.

Well, its back (almost) I've been on 3 ever since but up until recently was on 100Gb at £12 / month. As we are going off roaming in the campervan with poor or no TV signal I have upgraded the phone to their new "All you can eat" unlimited data, unlimited texts and unlimited (UK) calls at £16 / month,

It has unlimited 'hot-spot' so we can run Netflix etc etc via the Amazon Firestick.

17 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Remember some years ago when 'everyone' went onto the Three Unlimited deal at £15.

Well, its back (almost) I've been on 3 ever since but up until recently was on 100Gb at £12 / month. As we are going off roaming in the campervan with poor or no TV signal I have upgraded the phone to their new "All you can eat" unlimited data, unlimited texts and unlimited (UK) calls at £16 / month,

It has unlimited 'hot-spot' so we can run Netflix etc etc via the Amazon Firestick.

Can't see any such deal on the Three website... 😞

34 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Is this an  I'm going to leave what can you offer me to stay tarriff?

Debating whether to try the same but at £15.56 a month not sure they will give me anything cheaper.

Edited by Loddon

19 minutes ago, IanD said:

Can't see any such deal on the Three website... 😞

You don't go by what is advertised, you ask them for 'a deal' and give them what you want.

Also changed SWMBOs  Three deal (10Gb for £10) to EE (so we have an alternative data supply and / or phone provider if needed) They offered 10Gb for £10, but I negotiated with them and they offered 10gb + 10gb Free and dropped the price to £9 / month - so 24 month deal at £9 month for 20GB data and unlimited texts and UK calls)

Screenshot (2032).png

Screenshot (2034).png

Just now, Alan de Enfield said:

You don't go by what is advertised, you ask them for 'a deal' and give them what you want.

Also changed SWMBOs  Three deal (10Gb for £10) to EE (so we have an alternative data supply and / or phone provider if needed) They offered 10Gb for £10, but I negotiated with them and they offered 10gb + 10gb Free and dropped the price to £9 / month - so 24 month deal at £9 month for 20GB data and unlimited texts and UK calls)

Screenshot (2032).png

Screenshot (2034).png

And were you an existing customer threatening to leave at the end of your contract?

That's exactly what I did with Plusnet for broadband and got a big reduction out of them, it's standard negotiating practice because they hate losing customers.

Of course this is completely unhelpful if you're a new customer looking around for the best deal, which IIRC was what was being discussed... 😉

14 minutes ago, Loddon said:

No, its a 'my contract expires next week what can you do for me' call. No threats of leaving, just asking what they can offer.

They make an offer, much 'sucking of teeth' and O'dear I thought you'd be able to do better than that, I want to increase to unlimited data and would like to go back to the old contract we had a few years ago at £15.

No, cannot do that but I can offer you that at £16.

Job done.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

19 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

No, its a 'my contract expires next week what can you do for me' call. No threats of leaving, just asking what they can offer.

They make an offer, much 'sucking of teeth' and O'dear I thought you'd be able to do better than that, I want to increase to unlimited data and would like to go back to the old contract we had a few years ago at £15.

No, cannot do that but I can offer you that at £16.

Job done.

And that is what I said, "I'm an existing customer, what can you do for me?" -- the "or I'll leave" doesn't have to be said, everyone understands it as implied.

Try that as a new customer and they'll offer you the standard deals on the website. I know, I've tried... 😞

It's as unhelpful to someone looking for the best deal as Loddon boasting about how his "pyramid selling" -- sorry, "customer introduction discount" -- means he's had pretty much free internet for years. Good for him, but that deal doesn't even exist any more, and again it's completely irrelevant to new customers.

This is all like telling somebody who asks "What's the best mortgage rate I can get, they're all 5% or above?" that you're only paying 1% because you fixed the rate three years ago -- well good for you, but that's no use to them is it?

5 minutes ago, Loddon said:

It appears EE have unlimited data 2 year contract for £14pcm

For an extra £4 you get BTsport or Netflix as an add on

You missed the fact that this is a "half price (£14pcm) for 6 months" deal, it's then £28pcm for the next 18 months...

Like I said, always read the small print 😉

6 minutes ago, IanD said:

You missed the fact that this is a "half price (£14pcm) for 6 months" deal, it's then £28pcm for the next 18 months...

Like I said, always read the small print 😉

I looked at that but missed the bit at the top.

A well laid out page to catch people

1 hour ago, Loddon said:

Debating whether to try the same but at £15.56 a month not sure they will give me anything cheaper.

They didn't offer me enough to stay

1 minute ago, Loddon said:

I looked at that but missed the bit at the top.

A well laid out page to catch people

Indeed, the tricks companies play on people eh? 😉

The EE SIM-only deal is *much* worse than the Three 5G Home Broadband one : cost over 2 years is (6x14 +18x24)=£516 compared to (3x0 +21*20)=£420, which also gets you a very nice 5G router with Three.

(Smarty would be £480 for SIM-only, but without being tied into a contract)

If you don't want to use the data full-time -- of course you can move it between home and boat -- then Smarty is a better bet because it's only a 1 month contract.

Just now, IanD said:

Indeed, the tricks companies play on people eh? 😉

The EE SIM-only deal is *much* worse than the Three 5G Home Broadband one : cost over 2 years is (6x14 +18x24)=£516 compared to (3x0 +21*20)=£420, which also gets you a very nice 5G router with Three.

(Smarty would be £480 for SIM-only, but without being tied into a contract)

If you don't want to use the data full-time -- of course you can move it between home and boat -- then Smarty is a better bet because it's only a 1 month contract.

Will Three let anyone have a 5G Home  Broadband or do you have to live in an area with 5g or even any Three Coverage. I live in an area with no Three coverage

16 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Will Three let anyone have a 5G Home  Broadband or do you have to live in an area with 5g or even any Three Coverage. I live in an area with no Three coverage

I keep clicking on their repeated ads for 5G home broadband, and they keep telling me that it's not available in my area yet.... not even 4G!

My area is a densely populated residential area just South of Manchester City Centre and my Smarty sim in my phone works fine on 5G

Three are obviously being very selective with their so called home broadband offer :(

59 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

I keep clicking on their repeated ads for 5G home broadband, and they keep telling me that it's not available in my area yet.... not even 4G!

My area is a densely populated residential area just South of Manchester City Centre and my Smarty sim in my phone works fine on 5G

Three are obviously being very selective with their so called home broadband offer :(

That is what I found, so basically I can't take advantage of this offer to take to my boat.

4 hours ago, IanD said:

This is all like telling somebody who asks "What's the best mortgage rate I can get, they're all 5% or above?" that you're only paying 1% because you fixed the rate three years ago -- well good for you, but that's no use to them is it?

Yep, and on a similar theme I get people asking me "When is the best time to buy a house?", as if I know much about it.

Helpfully I usually say "1982 like I did..."

With respect to Three, I don't know if anyone has a problem with them?

I have a phone contract and a SIM which fits in my mifi.

When I was notified they needed renewed I could not cope with the advice to use an app ...... They have two app and I have forgotten a password, anyway I never like apps.

So as I want a written contract I went to the Three shop, explained I wanted the best deal for me and I'd go to EE if I wasn't happy.

So, I got the paper contracts, And a new Sim post dated. They set up the two DD, and I left, saying, I don't need to do any more agree? "Yes"

So, cutting long story short, yesterday (three weeks in) someone rang me demanding my dob and postcode but would not say why.

I would give him dob, and first letter of postcode, asking him to come up with the next one. He would not, so I got annoyed and eventually terminated this conversation.

As far as I am concerned it could be fishing, and someone threatening to disconnect a good customer with two regular DD is not working in my best interests.

I remember this behaviour from Three two years ago with the last contract. What is going on?

Edited by LadyG

I had a run in with three a year ago. I was out of contract and I wanted a cheaper rate, so I went into the three shop. What I wanted was a twelve-month SIM only contract, and yes, they could do it. It turned out it was only available to new customers and came with a new number. :(
I took it up it with three, had to raise a case for miss-selling, and after many phone calls, arguments, and stress, I got the contract cancelled. I kept my phone number for twelve months with 20 GB data but cancelled my MIFI contract, and tethered my phone.
Now I have dumped them for Gifgaff, on a monthly rolling SIM only contract. I'll never go back, after some twenty years with them.

Edited by Peanut

6 hours ago, LadyG said:

With respect to Three, I don't know if anyone has a problem with them?

I have a phone contract and a SIM which fits in my mifi.

When I was notified they needed renewed I could not cope with the advice to use an app ...... They have two app and I have forgotten a password, anyway I never like apps.

So as I want a written contract I went to the Three shop, explained I wanted the best deal for me and I'd go to EE if I wasn't happy.

So, I got the paper contracts, And a new Sim post dated. They set up the two DD, and I left, saying, I don't need to do any more agree? "Yes"

So, cutting long story short, yesterday (three weeks in) someone rang me demanding my dob and postcode but would not say why.

I would give him dob, and first letter of postcode, asking him to come up with the next one. He would not, so I got annoyed and eventually terminated this conversation.

As far as I am concerned it could be fishing, and someone threatening to disconnect a good customer with two regular DD is not working in my best interests.

I remember this behaviour from Three two years ago with the last contract. What is going on?

When ever I get a cold call claiming to be a service provider (phone, electric etc) I always explain that as they called me I have no idea who is really calling me and ask if it’s reasonable for them to prove who they claim to be before I will give any personal information.  The only one to disagree quickly became obvious that they were a scammer.

21 hours ago, Chewbacka said:

When ever I get a cold call claiming to be a service provider (phone, electric etc) I always explain that as they called me I have no idea who is really calling me and ask if it’s reasonable for them to prove who they claim to be before I will give any personal information.  The only one to disagree quickly became obvious that they were a scammer.

Just so, but you would think they would give up when they realised I was not going to cooperate, this did not happen, so after five minutes of my valuable time I terminated the call. Next day,, more of the same, again using an 0800 number. I think this is the same pattern as I had the last time I renewed. It may well be because Three online are operating independently of Three shops.

I need the info on paper, and the SIM card in my hand,  so for me the Three shop is a no brainer. Anyway, I think they have given up.

On 31/03/2023 at 18:04, Loddon said:

It appears EE have unlimited data 2 year contract for £14pcm

For an extra £4 you get BTsport or Netflix as an add on

The best unlimited data contract currently is Lebara, its £9.98 for the first 3 months and you can cancel at any time, so obviously just remember to cancel it off once that price expires (would go to £24.95). Plenty of providers do unlimited for £20 but if you don't actually need unlimited, then there's cheaper out there.

22 hours ago, Owls Den said:

Some good info about Wi-Fi. About to tackle adding internet to my boat. Would like to use the TV aerial mast and the hole for cables already present. 

Are there any 4x4 MIMO options about that fit on a mast?

TIA

Yes, see link below. Omni ones mean you don't need to rotate them to point at the nearest mast every time you move the boat, directional ones have higher gain so will give higher data rates or better coverage in poor signal areas.

https://www.3grouterstore.co.uk/product-category/5g-antennas/4x4-mimo-5g-antennas/

• Greenie 1