Internet/data access on boats -- some tips

IanD

Featured Posts

10 minutes ago, Silent Flight said:

The sim I got in the end was from Scancom, thru Amazon. It’s £199 for unlimited on EE until Nov 2024. Seems good for streaming etc. Haven’t tried it gaming yet.

Given that EE is currently the network with the best coverage, those Scancom SIMs are the best deal if you're on the boat all the time and want unlimited data for TV streaming etc.

• 3 weeks later...

Is it me or should our expectations be lowered? I get 3 bars on my B535-333, 20M upload but barely 5M download at best in early evening. With Smarty, I.e. 3, but nothing I do improves the situation. Reset, restarts. This problem is widely reported and I have found no solution. Changing router, phone company is a possibility but there is no guarantee of better performance. 4G is too congested imho.

9 minutes ago, SLC said:

Is it me or should our expectations be lowered? I get 3 bars on my B535-333, 20M upload but barely 5M download at best in early evening. With Smarty, I.e. 3, but nothing I do improves the situation. Reset, restarts. This problem is widely reported and I have found no solution. Changing router, phone company is a possibility but there is no guarantee of better performance. 4G is too congested imho.

Those numbers are strange, download is normally faster than upload even if the network is congested.

Maybe Three is *ludicrously* congested where you are? There are lots of complaints about this, not surprising since they sell by far the cheapest unlimited services so loads of people with very high data needs (and short arms and deep pockets) use them... 😞

Have you tried a different SIM (different network)? A 1-month one to try things out only costs a few quid, I'd suggest trying an EE MVNO like 1p Mobile first... 😉

LTE manager requires a username and I have never seen or used that!

In the past where download is less than upload a hardware reset has sorted it. Not with me. All very frustrating really.

Edit: admin works. Now having a play to see what works.

Edited by SLC

OK, so I got a new phone , a Samsung, and I'm trying to link it to my WiFi which is mifi.

I know that I have to add a network, don't know if this is Three or Huawei-5D3 and I can't find the bit to enter the key which is the number on the mifi, 

The guy in the shop emphasised I must do this, but I get to the bit that says add network and it is blank.

The password is not admin, if is the eight digit key inside the mifi device.

Update .... while randomly looking at my network settings I discovered the chap in the shop had set it to automatic, which seems to be the perfect solution and kind of explains why it has been getting Internet as I have moved around today. 

Edited by LadyG

8 hours ago, LadyG said:

OK, so I got a new phone , a Samsung, and I'm trying to link it to my WiFi which is mifi.

I know that I have to add a network, don't know if this is Three or Huawei-5D3 and I can't find the bit to enter the key which is the number on the mifi, 

The guy in the shop emphasised I must do this, but I get to the bit that says add network and it is blank.

The password is not admin, if is the eight digit key inside the mifi device.

Update .... while randomly looking at my network settings I discovered the chap in the shop had set it to automatic, which seems to be the perfect solution and kind of explains why it has been getting Internet as I have moved around today. 

The automatic is probably your phone 4g data network not your WiFi connection.  For WiFi, swipe down from the top of the screen and click on the WiFi symbol , then click on the name of your mifi device and you will be prompted for the password.  If your mifi name doesn't show, click Add network and you should get a screen that asks for name (ssid) and password.

Edited by Rob-M
  • Happy 1