More signs

luggsy

Featured Posts

On 15/07/2022 at 21:33, LadyG said:

I don't mind then to be honest, sometimes I have to use my binoculars to read the signs as I'd be past them and unable to take action otherwise. I assume they are very important, and its an emphasis of their importance.

I agree, The signs should be 30 or 40 metres long and 2 metres high so we old folk can read them as we trundle along. It will also keep CRT staff busy for a few years replacing the existing short signs (Providing there is enough blue paint in the country).  Could we have a separate 40 metre long sign in brail as well?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, steve hayes said:

Nice new sign at Chirk tunnel, no indication that it’s one way working, just that there might be bats. Hire boat was more than happy to go in with two boats coming through. Had to shout to stop them meeting in the middle.

coming back into Birmingham Galton tunnel states it’s one way working when it not. Brandwood tunnel on the north Stratford which is 380M long, the sign says transit time is 16 minutes 😩
Who at CaRT approves, proof reads these signs ?

4E4F0D46-D7E8-40DD-9065-3F4753C0371D.jpeg

It does show max width at 6' 10" so that should be understood as one way working.

21 minutes ago, David Mack said:

It's also wrong, as I have been through Chirk Tunnel in a boat wider then 6' 10".

So have lots of people but its the new CRT narrow canal standard just like 2.29 is the height like this one.

image.png.30fa82b18b327889c2315d327922dd3e.png

13 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Nope. Snarestone Tunnel is wider at 6'11" (despite being built as a wide canal).

20211002_083453.jpg

What does the bottom-left symbol mean? The one like a sideways keyhole.

Edit to add:

Oh I geddit, its a horn symbol! 

2 minutes ago, MtB said:

What does the bottom-left symbol mean? The one like a sideways keyhole.

Use your horn….something I’ve done more than once when a boat coming the other way into a tunnel I’m already in…..

• Greenie 1

14 hours ago, steve hayes said:

Every sign says 6’10” regardless 

A few tunnels (usually shorter ones) and restored long bridges are narrower than the waterline at the entrance suggests - not just because it narrows but because the structure curves sharply under the boat and most cannot get within 500mm of the actual wall.

52 minutes ago, PeterF said:

Give Way is the only road sign using the inverted triangle. This is to make it known as a give way sign even if unlit.

I confess I had to buy a new Highway Code as I was perplexed by some signs and so on, but never did get clarification I gave up and did what any sensible person does, stay away from busy roads.

9 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

This one is 7ft, I must say I didn't notice the top corner radiused until I uploaded the photo. Any idea what the triangle is for 

DSCF6886 (2).JPG

Myself and the Navigation officer from HNBC are scheduled to have a meeting with various CRT staff to discuss the poor tunnel signage….it’s very annoying as we already spent a large amount of time & effort going through the new tunnel signage when we heard they were going to originally do it….we thought we had reached a sensible solution but it appears the actual implementation was nothing like we discussed. I will report back on where we get to…meeting isn’t till September unfortunately. 

In the meantime feel free to DM me with examples of tunnel signs both good (if you find any) and bad. 

And just in case anyone thinks otherwise yes we would have preferred they kept the black & white signs but that was not to be. 

• Greenie 3

4 hours ago, frangar said:

Myself and the Navigation officer from HNBC are scheduled to have a meeting with various CRT staff to discuss the poor tunnel signage….it’s very annoying as we already spent a large amount of time & effort going through the new tunnel signage when we heard they were going to originally do it….we thought we had reached a sensible solution but it appears the actual implementation was nothing like we discussed. I will report back on where we get to…meeting isn’t till September unfortunately. 

In the meantime feel free to DM me with examples of tunnel signs both good (if you find any) and bad. 

And just in case anyone thinks otherwise yes we would have preferred they kept the black & white signs but that was not to be. 

I don't think any of their tunnel signage measurements bear any resemblance to the actual tunnel measurements. The one I listed is probably 10 foot wide not 7 and maybe 15 feet high, also are they encouraging boaters to try and do them at 2 MPH they can't even get the sums right

image.png.9a79ea5eac22db149eb1b663f2b46deb.png

Edited by ditchcrawler
  • Greenie 1

7 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I don't think any of their tunnel signage measurements bear any resemblance to the actual tunnel measurements. The one I listed is probably 10 foot wide not 7 and maybe 15 feet high, also are they encouraging boaters to try and do them at 2 MPH they can't even get the sums right

1PYjqzRmeRN-b5FFDy5Vd0p1Qj91q15Og?ax=ACxEAsZE4_2p8vYbKLqrkj4ZLG3-SL5b7x17rua-uKpVKLcHjYcsRPtYYFLqPv4O-yNBh7fnlcNUsf0VN8Ir3wE8tNVlRuL6jWb23KI0Q12oOqsqPv1MyIWPQzxhuVHYrXcAHtGzwyDRfKRQf6h5DNtYBQIUxR3O0m1o751ltubXvZYIhBsVKa-6U6AnsyJhhM7KMQnUUrXZJOd_R_ir-n8UuTKvSSCXko_n8Obx2aBDDXeepKLLpyBgcbpWb-RD6VPVUdfSnzrU53KgL09qXaFTBgr7ikZf_AUigThEzNV_r69O05daHT-DtLsBKkUIX1UzvDVNiMu_-V1mYfNVzSxHJc_u1dl8I1CIS09HAWHdP21jleJUwJRMQO1fVyDVRBE3vBVfeQQvizsAJodt3F23HQtYSV8vv__479rBfHaVsoAfbIsZono9YaUI-xYGm3o0j6EVIkdLfbAqWPNfhstjxl0irdlPvuRnvVfYxIbknJeyvUQcqTk3zV1JR_EE8dUnxra-rrsM4U4ldRUBCbKvVISkGld5Kls3TKQPO4hO49c_uhDTKIBzOJEO3nJ7TUg7xOJcGfn9QfEq78wI0x55pAI4AGENasNoerYdPP9lB8Qb-RwoCJDqmNyGANHyx3hIk0w33jq8MQHkffgw-HGcKzERAEZ6p0RUhPgm1RLy9OdFuQKapVR8gParyuqNXld8IbCRMJvAAjKfc6Ly6DIPeeV8wIJvfVvX9J0-uhlyV7l1G-knqvwYhae7IJSRhwnJ4jDILgRP9WWjzvjcZxC4AkFO6u6p1EMvO2F1-9gvSwNEY6GU6NYk1idU_gRtfhCza8HRBdjNWYtotmZTSsanLnnVxB0-0EA&uuid=02668f86-6123-4b6f-acb2-7b689fa8c7a7&authuser=0&nonce=dq5ot24jr4070&user=17601573309770923884&hash=crsien19bkiqbie39cvn85kc55c0mpo9

That's a very long link, and it doesn't lead to an image!

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

image.png.9a79ea5eac22db149eb1b663f2b46deb.png

The width was supposed to indicate maximum craft width. Eg 2 narrowboats can pass in a wide tunnel like Wast Hill. But like many of the icons this seems to be lost or open to interpretation.  Its a fair point though…needs to be made clearer. 

2 hours ago, frangar said:

The width was supposed to indicate maximum craft width. Eg 2 narrowboats can pass in a wide tunnel like Wast Hill. But like many of the icons this seems to be lost or open to interpretation.  Its a fair point though…needs to be made clearer. 

Surely "2 way except for boats over 7ft" would be clear, or do they want to communicate to boaters in symbols only, in which case the "2 way traffic" road sign followed by a fat boat with a diagonal line through it could work.

5 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Surely "2 way except for boats over 7ft" would be clear, or do they want to communicate to boaters in symbols only, in which case the "2 way traffic" road sign followed by a fat boat with a diagonal line through it could work.

It was considered that ISO symbols would be better for foreign hireboat crews etc and more legible than a load of text on sign for all users when boating past. We tried to keep text to a minimum. The idea was the boaters handbook....like the Highway code....would have a full explanation of the symbols. I agree about the 2 way traffic sign and that was supposed to be used. Im not sure you could make a suitable sign for a fat boat....maybe a picture of a skip or similar?....thats a joke before someone takes offence....

• Greenie 1