More signs

luggsy

Featured Posts

7 minutes ago, Goliath said:

Yes , I found just going slow to steady with the occasional burst of reverse was the way to do it. 

I hope Birmingham has filled up a bit it was the emptiest of boats I’ve ever seen it. 

When we arrived on Thursday we went in the Oozells Loop, there was only one boat in there and plenty of space before Worcester Bar and outside the arena.  It had filled up a bit, having 3 working boats helped a bit.  There were a couple of boats on the bookable moorings the other side of St Vincent's bridge as well 

3 hours ago, Goliath said:

Glad you do that too. 
If it’s a short tunnel I don’t bother either.

Nor me. But I carry a torch at the helm so I can shine it ahead should a boat enter the bridge not having seen me. 

The other boat is not gonna know if the light isn't at the bow is it? 🤣

• 9 months later...
4 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Interesting one on Middlewich bottom lock, I will try to remember to photo it

Is that the sign that days empty the lock slowly, only half paddles until the lock is half empty. Presumably because of the raft of Anderson hire boats often below the lock.

40 minutes ago, PeterF said:

Is that the sign that days empty the lock slowly, only half paddles until the lock is half empty. Presumably because of the raft of Anderson hire boats often below the lock.

I think it dates back to the days when the near side was almost impossible to lift with a full lock and people use to report it to CRT, OK when the lock is half empty, the off side was slightly easier.

So CRT produces a white laminated sign, then a corrugated blue one with exactly the same words but don’t think to remove the old white one. To be honest, leave the white one and don’t waste money on the blue one.