More signs

luggsy

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, matty40s said:

But is this an instruction, or warning??

Hazard signs are normally a yellow triangle with a black border . Why the background beyond the triangle  is black with white text  is unclear. A yellow background with black test would be more appropriate.

• 6 months later...
25 minutes ago, Midnight said:

"Beware of large bush"??

The vegetation has filled out a little  but was  was substantially present when the sign was installed.

The sign sets a local 5 knot speed limit on the otherwise unrestricted River Trent  at  West Stockwith. So its one of the more important signs  as wash from boat  speeding past the lock when the lock gates are open is a hazard to any boat in the lock.

11 minutes ago, JamesWoolcock said:

Meanwhile, they took an angle grinder to the one below Star Lock in Stone (T&M) and chopped it down!

Yeah, great idea. Then CART waste more money replacing it, which means even less to spend on maintenance. Proper joined-up thinking... 😞

At Gnossal two men out with angle grinders replacing the perfectly good white CaRT signs with blue ones, just because there’s a canal festival this weekend. Nobody trimming the edges, cutting down the nettles or trees growing out of the edges, but what do we expect 

• Angry 1

21 hours ago, IanD said:

Yeah, great idea. Then CART waste more money replacing it, which means even less to spend on maintenance. Proper joined-up thinking... 😞

"Warning! Extreme Danger! This sign has sharp edges. "

On 30/11/2021 at 12:11, David Mack said:

That still doesn't explain why they need duplicate signs at each end of Snarestone Tunnel. The information on those signs is intended for boaters, not the wider public.

I don't mind then to be honest, sometimes I have to use my binoculars to read the signs as I'd be past them and unable to take action otherwise. I assume they are very important, and its an emphasis of their importance.

On 15/07/2022 at 20:42, ditchcrawler said:

Coming to a lock side near you.

DSCF6852.JPG

Perhaps instead of blaming CART, we should blame the relentless increase in lawyer-based sue-and-be-damned it-wasn't-my-fault culture, which leads organisations and companies of all sizes to put up warning signs like this to reduce the chances of them being sued by somebody without an ounce of common sense who injures themselves and then looks to see who can compensate them?

For most companies -- and I expect CART is no different -- putting up warning signs is cheaper than paying huge compensation claims and lawyers fees. I know, I've been involved in such an analysis, and the result was that even though everyone agreed the signs were stupid, they went up anyway... 😞

10 minutes ago, IanD said:

Perhaps instead of blaming CART, we should blame the relentless increase in lawyer-based sue-and-be-damned it-wasn't-my-fault culture, which leads organisations and companies of all sizes to put up warning signs like this to reduce the chances of them being sued by somebody without an ounce of common sense who injures themselves and then looks to see who can compensate them?

For most companies -- and I expect CART is no different -- putting up warning signs is cheaper than paying huge compensation claims and lawyers fees. I know, I've been involved in such an analysis, and the result was that even though everyone agreed the signs were stupid, they went up anyway... 😞

CRT are presuming a degree of literacy.

16 minutes ago, Jim Riley said:

CRT are presuming a degree of literacy.

If people can't read the sign (or understand the picture, which is why it's there) that's their problem, CART can say "we did our best to warn you"...

Edited by IanD
  • Greenie 1

2 hours ago, IanD said:

And yet....

With all these signs popping up in random places all over the cut saying "Life's better by water", are CRT leaving themselves wide open to being sued by someone claiming they tried it and found life isn't 'better by water', they were misled by the signs and they want their money back...?

50 minutes ago, MtB said:

And yet....

With all these signs popping up in random places all over the cut saying "Life's better by water", are CRT leaving themselves wide open to being sued by someone claiming they tried it and found life isn't 'better by water', they were misled by the signs and they want their money back...?

If they dont cut the towpath edge vegetation soon, people on the towpath will be say "what water?" 🤣😂

Nice new sign at Chirk tunnel, no indication that it’s one way working, just that there might be bats. Hire boat was more than happy to go in with two boats coming through. Had to shout to stop them meeting in the middle.

coming back into Birmingham Galton tunnel states it’s one way working when it not. Brandwood tunnel on the north Stratford which is 380M long, the sign says transit time is 16 minutes 😩
Who at CaRT approves, proof reads these signs ?

4E4F0D46-D7E8-40DD-9065-3F4753C0371D.jpeg

32 minutes ago, steve hayes said:

Brandwood tunnel on the north Stratford which is 380M long, the sign says transit time is 16 minutes

How long does it take in practice?