Oxford vs Grand Union

vanboosh

Featured Posts

8 minutes ago, john6767 said:

I don’t know what the rules are in different places, but I think most Wetherspoons start selling alcohol at 9am.  The one at Merry Hill certainly does as we went in for breakfast at 8am when they open, and they were very apologetic as they could not sell alcohol until 9am.  Come 9am when we left it was busy with people drinking.

Your licence from the LA will detail what hours you can open, and those are taken from your application 'to sell beers and spirits on or off the premises'.

We had a 12 hour licence (12:12) for weekdays and a 24 hour licence for Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays,

In effect The Friday licence started at Midnight on Thursdays and the Sunday licence carried over into Monday when the Monday (12:12) licence came into effect'

Bank Holidays (Easter Christmas New Year etc were all 24 hour licences irrespective of which day of the week they fell.

Your opening hours are determined by the applicant.

22 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

The Oxford trip is great - come off at Duke's Cut - rather than going down to the city centre (that trip is a bit dreich)

A bit what? It looks Scots and uncomplimentary.

40 minutes ago, George and Dragon said:

They can't sell beer outside local permitted hours but those were liberalised by the Bliar government. 

Yes, I remember that closing times could be later ij the evening than hitherto, but I didn't know that morning opening hours had been adjusted.

Perhaps because I never fancy a beet at 9 a.m. (and indeed very rarely before about 5.30 p.m.) I did hear the news but took no notice of it.

30 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Your licence from the LA will detail what hours you can open, and those are taken from your application 'to sell beers and spirits on or off the premises'.

We had a 12 hour licence (12:12) for weekdays and a 24 hour licence for Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays,

In effect The Friday licence started at Midnight on Thursdays and the Sunday licence carried over into Monday when the Monday (12:12) licence came into effect'

Bank Holidays (Easter Christmas New Year etc were all 24 hour licences irrespective of which day of the week they fell.

Correct. Things changed years ago, each premises now asks for what hours they want and each place is treated differently and hours displayed at the premises.

For instance beer with breakfast is quite legal here at The Pig place as our licence runs from 0800 to 2300 every day. You know it  makes sense ;)

4 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Correct. Things changed years ago, each premises now asks for what hours they want and each place is treated differently and hours displayed at the premises.

For instance beer with breakfast is quite legal here at The Pig place as our licence runs from 0800 to 2300 every day. You know it  makes sense ;)

I beleiev that you no longer have to appear in the court to be approved by the magistrate.

Did in 'my day'.

Do the course, take the test and get the Magistrate to say you are of fit character.

Just now, Alan de Enfield said:

I beleiev that you no longer have to appear in the court to be approved by the magistrate.

Did in 'my day'.

Do the course, take the test and get the Magistrate to say you are of fit character.

Yes, thats long gone and rightly so. A complete waste of my and the magistrates time over a number of years.

12 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

But who on earth, except perhaps a Frenchman, would want an alcoholic drink at eight or nine in the morning?

10 minutes ago, Athy said:

But who on earth, except perhaps a Frenchman, would want an alcoholic drink at eight or nine in the morning?

Right time right place. :)

occasionally of course a drink at 8am is the last drink of a very long session.

admittedly those days for me are long gone but I have had a few very memorable long weekends ;)

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I think it is more accurate to say that the non-opening hours are determined by the applicant - the licensing authority are not obliged to approve all you ask for. (Although it is not a restrictive as it once was and competitors have less influence)

Edited by Mike Todd

41 minutes ago, Athy said:

Frenchmen dont even eat a proper breakfast!! Its pastries and suchlike :o

34 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Frenchmen dont even eat a proper breakfast!! Its pastries and suchlike :o

There's nowt wrong with a decent croissant, or preferably two. Unfortunately, many of the ones on sale in Britain look like croissants but taste like lightly greased sawdust.

But when I worked in France in the '70s, trips back to England involved catching a night train from Rodez to Paris' Gare d'Austerlitz, where I had time for a bit of breakfast. I'd get there about half past seven and would call into a little stand-up bar before crossing Paris to get the train to Calais. As I savoured my coffee and croissants, there was a constant stream of men dashing into the bar, barking "Un rouge" or "Un blanc", throwing money on to the counter, draining their glass and dashing off again. These weren't down-and-outs, they were normal-looking office types who, I suppose, were taking on fuel to get them through their morning's work. I've never seen the like anywhere else, and I'm not sure it still happens nowadays, but I've never forgotten it.

Edited by Athy

49 minutes ago, Athy said:

There's nowt wrong with a decent croissant, or preferably two. Unfortunately, many of the ones on sale in Britain look like croissants but taste like lightly greased sawdust.

But when I worked in France in the '70s, trips back to England involved catching a night train from Rodez to Paris' Gare d'Austerlitz, where I had time for a bit of breakfast. I'd get there about half past seven and would call into a little stand-up bar before crossing Paris to get the train to Calais. As I savoured my coffee and croissants, there was a constant stream of men dashing into the bar, barking "Un rouge" or "Un blanc", throwing money on to the counter, draining their glass and dashing off again. These weren't down-and-outs, they were normal-looking office types who, I suppose, were taking on fuel to get them through their morning's work. I've never seen the like anywhere else, and I'm not sure it still happens nowadays, but I've never forgotten it.

With afternoon tea I would agree.

However this picture is a breakfast :D

breakfast.jpeg

2 hours ago, Athy said:

Shift workers.  When I was at sea, I used to enjoy a couple of beers after the morning 4-8 watch.

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, Athy said:

I'd get there about half past seven and would call into a little stand-up bar before crossing Paris to get the train to Calais. As I savoured my coffee and croissants, there was a constant stream of men dashing into the bar, barking "Un rouge" or "Un blanc", throwing money on to the counter, draining their glass and dashing off again.

Like the time I had to catch a train from a small town in Italy: the patrons of the local bar/cafe would come in first thing (well, for me it was first thing) for a coffee and a grappa. Most looked as though they were on the way to some kind of manual toil.

20 hours ago, Athy said:

Depends on what time you got out of bed.

Starting boating at 0500 in the summer I often had a beer before 0900, no different to having a beer at midday when you get up at 0800.

On 20/04/2021 at 11:48, Athy said:

In London up until the relocation of the flower, meat and fish markets, it was possible to drink 24/7. You just had to know which pubs local to the relevant markets were open at what times. Their opening times were determined by the market opening times.

Edited by cuthound
Clarification

17 minutes ago, cuthound said:

In London up until the relocation of the flower, meat and fish markets, it was possible to drink 24/7. You just had to know which pubs local to the relevant markets were open at what times. Their opening times were determined by the market opening times.

I remember this claim being made - and i also remember it being refuted (by the McWhirters, I think).

It's probably more nearly possible now than it was then.

3 minutes ago, Athy said:

I remember this claim being made - and i also remember it being refuted (by the McWhirters, I think).

Back in the 80's I had an ex- submariner working for my team. He was an alcoholic and used to disappear at odd times of the day and night and come back smelling of drink. When questioned he told me this.

46 minutes ago, Athy said:

Theres plenty of history, urban myths maybe, of pubs with flexible opening hours around Cammell Laird in Birkenhead