tank cleaning

haza

Featured Posts

4 minutes ago, Markinaboat said:

you could buy one of these which could pay for itself after 2 uses?

https://www.marine16.co.uk/diesel-dipper-2/dieseldipper

or maybe share the cost of this with others?

https://www.marine16.co.uk/dieselduck

not difficult to arrange a 12v submersible bilge pump on a stick, introduce it to the tank and waggle it about a bit.  cost - perhaps £30.

2 minutes ago, haza said:

becuse it seems i have water in my tank .thats maybe why 

But the water is only at the bottom. a wet and dry vax will suck it out. There should be a drain plug or tap in the bottom of the tank for getting water out anyway.

18 minutes ago, haza said:

would not need to throw it away after its been polished .but if i do have to throw it .your welcome to it all 180 litres of it 

That isn't a reason to throw away the diesel though. The water at the bottom can be sucked up with just a hand pump. Carry on till you get diesel and not water. Does the diesel have a diesel bug problem at all? That might be a reason for getting it polished, once the bugs have been killed off. Otherwise, just suck out the water from the bottom of the tank. I've seen one of these used to remove water from a diesel tank. £12.30.

Jen

And you may not have a bug.

Sometimes the bug gets such a grip that all the dead bugs leave a black jelly or sludge. 

This will be found in the filter.

Do you have spare filters

Plastic containers. 

A manual pump. 

Any other pump. 

Any aquarium filter socks, plus a few days to do the work. 

If you have water, have the tank emptied in to plastic containers and start from there.

No need to panic at this stage. 

Buy some diesel conditioner, I believe there are two types.

Edited by LadyG

6 minutes ago, haza said:

well jen i have been told i may have a bug .but the guy wont know till hes had a look ,how does one know if its contaminated or not ?

sediment in your fuel filter?

pull a sample from the tank into an empty jam jar and let it settle for a few minutes, then you can see if there's any water or sludge in it.

35 minutes ago, haza said:

well jen i have been told i may have a bug .but the guy wont know till hes had a look ,how does one know if its contaminated or not ?

I had what I suspect was diesel bug but I caught it early, use a pela pump to drain out the water, dose the tank with marine 16 diesel bug treatment and change the filters regularly for a while.

Also make sure the filler cap gasket is in a good condition and replace if not, I also tend to smear a bit of silicone grease over the gap between cap and filler tube

3 hours ago, haza said:

would not need to throw it away after its been polished .but if i do have to throw it .your welcome to it all 180 litres of it 

3 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

That isn't a reason to throw away the diesel though. The water at the bottom can be sucked up with just a hand pump. Carry on till you get diesel and not water. Does the diesel have a diesel bug problem at all? That might be a reason for getting it polished, once the bugs have been killed off. Otherwise, just suck out the water from the bottom of the tank. I've seen one of these used to remove water from a diesel tank. £12.30.

Jen

This was my reason for asking. Have you taken a sample as described in an earlier post and if so what did it look like. Have you any evidence of bug in your filter(s) ? If no evidence of bug why 'polish' the fuel. if it's pure water your diesel will float on it and it's easy to suck it out. I use my Pela oil extractor twice a year to suck out a gallon or so to check. What I suck out I use on my garden bonfires. If you HAVE got bug then that's a different matter.   

5 minutes ago, Slim said:

If you HAVE got bug then that's a different matter.   

Even so it's not a big problem to use the pela, marine 16 and regular fuel filter changes, until the diesel that is extracted shows clean

I am aware some people have had a very serious problem with the bug but if caught early it just needs a bit of routine maintenance 

2 hours ago, Slim said:

This was my reason for asking. Have you taken a sample as described in an earlier post and if so what did it look like. Have you any evidence of bug in your filter(s) ? If no evidence of bug why 'polish' the fuel. if it's pure water your diesel will float on it and it's easy to suck it out. I use my Pela oil extractor twice a year to suck out a gallon or so to check. What I suck out I use on my garden bonfires. If you HAVE got bug then that's a different matter.   

I agree. If its just water then no problem to remove.

If the diesel you draw off with your pela pump.....you have got a pela havent you?....one of the better buys for a narrowboat. ........ is cloudy and contains lots of black bits floating, then you have the bug. I'd prolly give up and get it professionally cleaned as long as I knew how they were going to clean the tank not just the fuel. If its very cold when sampling the diesel, let it warm to room temperature before you look at it. It should be bright and clear. It might be cloudy if very cold.