Interesting old photo

Boaty Jo

Featured Posts

One lady who commented locally said her parents were Rechabites. At least for a while......

She said the sect was so strict, her Mum hung some washing out on a Sunday and got booted out!

Information received from a friend who browses the forum from time to time, but doesn't want to join.

From The Rochdale Observer, 17 August 1918

image.png.c33d7ab84b309772a065115fe373d87a.png

Independent Order of Rechabites.

Hope of Littleborough Tent.

Annual juvenile picnic

by canal boats

to Hartley Farm

will take place this day (Saturday).

Boats leave the Canal Wharf, Littleborough at 1:45.

Juvenile members free.

Tickets obtainable on the Wharf from 1 o'clock.

C. H. Dryland, J. W. Payne, Supers.

And Rochdale Observer, 24 August 1918

image.png.ca21dec93313b478864f642f29a8cd6f.png

A JUVENILE PICNIC.

Unsettled weather had its adverse effects on the annual juvenile picnic arranged by Hope of Littleborough Tent of the Independent Order of Rechabites and held on Saturday. In accordance with the programme about 300 children assembled on the canal wharf at Littleborough, where two of the Rochdale Canal Company’s boats were in waiting to take the trippers to the Hartley farm. The party was in charge of Mr. J. W. Payne, one of the superintendents, but the enjoyment of the children was spoiled by the frequent rain showers which fell as the boats were slowly drawn along the waterway. An occasional burst of sunshine lent but slight encouragement to the youngsters to romp about, and after an enjoyable tea prepared in the farmhouse by Mesdames Milnes and Howarth an hour on the field completed the outing. On the return journey the children evidently thought it would be more congenial to crowd into one boat. At any rate they did,and left the other one returning to the port empty save for her pilot. On a similar trip last year there were over 700 children and friends.

The photograph looks to be taken at Littleborough Wharf. The corrugated Iron warehouse was there until a few years ago (but without the overhanging canopy). But the base of the stations supporting the overhang are still visible in the towpath.

Not sure what the MCA would say about 300 children in one wide boat today!

Edited by David Mack
  • Greenie 3

Thanks for the additional information.

I walk / cycle past the wharf two or three times a week. NB Sancere is overwintering there.

There have been various mutterings about what to do with the vacant site in DM's photo but it's been derelict for years.

10 hours ago, David Mack said:

Independent Order of Rechabites.

Hope of Littleborough Tent.

Annual juvenile picnic

by canal boats

to Hartley Farm

will take place this day (Saturday).

Boats leave the Canal Wharf, Littleborough at 1:45.

Juvenile members free.

Tickets obtainable on the Wharf from 1 o'clock.

C. H. Dryland, J. W. Payne, Supers.

They went quite a way. Hartley Farm was out the other side of Rochdale. It no longer exists as it has been swallowed up by the expansion of the town. Parts of Hartley lane are still there, as is the canal. Not convinced a boat trip through Rochdale counts as a holiday. At least horse drawn boats don't have props to foul!

National Library Side by side below, then and now of their destination.

Jen

hartley-farm.jpg.f742222ec70b94f5478ea1a63552d2bd.jpg

On 12/02/2021 at 10:20, Boaty Jo said:

One lady who commented locally said her parents were Rechabites. At least for a while......

She said the sect was so strict, her Mum hung some washing out on a Sunday and got booted out!

Perhaps they're still around.  (Caravan site, Cogenhoe)

washing.jpg

• Happy 1

1 hour ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

washing.jpg

Once came across a children's play ground on the island of Raasay, between Skye and the mainland with a sign that said "No Playing on a Sunday". Raasay is a strong Wee Free church area.

I remember going camping on Skye and having to move into the van on the Saturday night as the tent was in danger of being washed away in the rain. Absolutely nothing on the island was open on  Sunday and no ferries were running (it was a long time before the bridge was built) . We left on the first ferry on the Monday  morning and I've never been back. 

Haggis

10 minutes ago, haggis said:

I remember going camping on Skye and having to move into the van on the Saturday night as the tent was in danger of being washed away in the rain. Absolutely nothing on the island was open on  Sunday and no ferries were running (it was a long time before the bridge was built) . We left on the first ferry on the Monday  morning and I've never been back. 

Haggis

About half my trips to Skye have been brilliant. The other half have been wash outs. One was a major milestone birthday in which we were trying to climb to the Cioch Stone. Our gully route up became an abseil down a waterfall after we decided it was getting too silly. Overnight the tents were battered down by the rain, so in the morning we piled everything in a soggy heap in the boot of the car and drove back to Glasgow!

3 hours ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

washing.jpg

There was a housing estate in Hemesby, Norfolk that actually had a covenant on the properties saying you couldn't hang washing out on a Sunday. Built about 1965 ish. Do Covenants expire?

27 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

There was a housing estate in Hemesby, Norfolk that actually had a covenant on the properties saying you couldn't hang washing out on a Sunday. Built about 1965 ish. Do Covenants expire?

No. But in practice they become unenforceable. Our last house, built in 1908, had a long list of things we weren't allowed to do. I can't remember most of them now, but I do know that we weren't allowed to burn bricks, sell alcohol or run a bawdy house.

2 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Once came across a children's play ground on the island of Raasay, between Skye and the mainland with a sign that said "No Playing on a Sunday". Raasay is a strong Wee Free church area.

Yes, I was up there , Outer Hebrides, on my cycle tour, Saturday afternoon, I needed B and B, I was coming down with a cold, I was refused by two Christians, and was setting up camp in the school bus (yes really) when a lady crofter came along and invited me to stay, proper hospitality:  no work, or recreation allowed on a Sunday, no washing outside. No ferries.

I was there for a week, left with fresh salmon in a little lunch box, the bus driver /postman popped my bike in luggage compartment.