Fat boats on the North Oxford

Dr Bob

Featured Posts

11 minutes ago, frangar said:

Trouble what would you say? 7ft 2in? I think 7ft gets the message across and anyone with a historic boat has half a brain and can work it out.

The wide beam supplement for licence fees applies to boats wider than 2.16m (7 ft 1 in), so why not be consistent?

1 hour ago, frangar said:

Trouble what would you say? 7ft 2in? I think 7ft gets the message across and anyone with a historic boat has half a brain and can work it out.

So wider boats than the stated dimensions are OK?  That's a new approach from you!

48 minutes ago, David Mack said:

The wide beam supplement for licence fees applies to boats wider than 2.16m (7 ft 1 in), so why not be consistent?

That's too easy and sensible!

15 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

image.png.6e31920262c30a9d801df5ffcc13edc1.png

Interesting - there is currently a wide beam moored on the towing path of the North Oxford - I passed it yesterday . . .

Is this notice mandatory or advisory?

1 minute ago, NB Alnwick said:

Interesting - there is currently a wide beam moored on the towing path of the North Oxford - I passed it yesterday . . .

It's now mandatory, in the T&C, report it!!

5 minutes ago, NB Alnwick said:

3 minutes ago, matty40s said:

It's now mandatory, in the T&C, report it!!

Agreed report it....pref with pictures or a W3W location etc

On 14/02/2021 at 11:38, Alan de Enfield said:

I was recently reading a Sustrans document but unfortunately didn't keep a screen shot of it.

Whilst not easy to enforce - Sustrans have told C&RT they even tho' they are funding a lot of tow-path upgrades they have no problem with C&RT introducing a bike licence system.

There is one potential income stream.

Knowing the way Public Undertakings work, any attempt at enforcement would fail, and still cost more to administer than it collected. How would you ever be able to control the number and eligibility of cyclists coming into Birmingham along the Worcs & Bham and the BCN?

9 hours ago, NB Alnwick said:

Interesting - there is currently a wide beam moored on the towing path of the North Oxford 

....apparently this is the big 12 foot wide grey one?????

This has been clogging up the N.Oxford to Napton stretch for over 2 years now.

1 minute ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Gather your pitch forks people....

It’s not hard to obey the few rules there are….I’ve no sympathy for those that take the piss….and a boat outside the gauge of the waterway is taking the piss. 

32 minutes ago, frangar said:

It’s not hard to obey the few rules there are….I’ve no sympathy for those that take the piss….and a boat outside the gauge of the waterway is taking the piss. 

Of course, I just think enforcement is best left to those paid to do it.

Well there's room enough to pass it. If someone gave it to me I would reduce it back to steel plate and sections and remake the whole lot back into something with sheer, tapers, curves and all that old fashioned stuff. In short, a boat.

• Greenie 1

7 minutes ago, Bee said:

Well there's room enough to pass it.

Though perhaps not if your boat was the same width.

Edited by The Happy Nomad

14 hours ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Though perhaps not if your boat was the same width.

Then it may well be a big help in preventing proliferation of its own kind! Maybe CRT should allow just one  strategically placed widebeam in a number of appropriate places? :icecream:;)

• Haha 1

• 2 months later...

Dredging an old thread.

How does a fat boat get to be moored at Sowe Common Bridge on the section of the North Oxford between Hawkesbury Junction and Hillmorton when both have narrow locks?

Why is it allowed there when it obviously cannot satisfy the continuous cruising regulations? Its not a mooring site, its bang up against the M6.

Do these people set out to disobey the regulations when they buy a boat?

3 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Dredging an old thread.

How does a fat boat get to be moored at Sowe Common Bridge on the section of the North Oxford between Hawkesbury Junction and Hillmorton when both have narrow locks?

Why is it allowed there when it obviously cannot satisfy the continuous cruising regulations? Its not a mooring site, its bang up against the M6.

Do these people set out to disobey the regulations when they buy a boat?

Is there any pics or a reg number please? Sadly I’m not close at the moment to go & find it. 

Weirdly, I just passed an absolute MONSTER of a fat boat on the north Oxford, about half a mile south of Dunchurch Pools, creeping along southewards and hugging the bank.

Couple steering it looked suitably embarrassed. 

28 minutes ago, MtB said:

Weirdly, I just passed an absolute MONSTER of a fat boat on the north Oxford, about half a mile south of Dunchurch Pools, creeping along southewards and hugging the bank.

Couple steering it looked suitably embarrassed. 

I wonder if they had informed CRT....I was getting alert notices when there was a widebeam movement to/from dunchurch pools as part of the stoppage alerts

1 minute ago, frangar said:

I wonder if they had informed CRT....I was getting alert notices when there was a widebeam movement to/from dunchurch pools as part of the stoppage alerts

As was I and have not received anything about this trip, or any others recently.