Newbie - Advice on this boat please

lee_2

Featured Posts

48 minutes ago, Athy said:

Thank you for expressing your opinion.

I don't usually respond to stalkers.

(seee above), I have them on ignore, I suggest they reciprocate.

Edited by LadyG
  • Greenie 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, Athy said:

Jo has formed her opinion based on a year of living in that marina, so her view is indeed based on experience. In what way is it prejudiced or hypocritical?

It was this comment I didn't like, its a bit like saying CC'ers never move and just want a cheep home. " 'living' in a marina with many others cheek by jowl is for folks who are 'making the best of a bad job', or have an HGV licence and are away tbree weeks out of four, or have a bad track record."

• Greenie 4

On 15/11/2020 at 16:24, ditchcrawler said:

It was this comment I didn't like, its a bit like saying CC'ers never move and just want a cheep home. " 'living' in a marina with many others cheek by jowl is for folks who are 'making the best of a bad job', or have an HGV licence and are away tbree weeks out of four, or have a bad track record."

Yes, well, let's face it, you don't often get sworn at and chased by someone waving a four foot by one inch stick on a public road, be a constant source of malicious gossip, or have a pschycopath as a neighbour, or be stalked on social media by several of the neighbours. Most people are normal, by definition.

Edited by LadyG

9 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Yes, well, let's face it, you don't often get sworn at and chased by someone waving a four foot by one inch stick on a public road, be a constant source of malicious gossip, or have a pschycopath as a neighbour, or be stalked on social media by several of the neighbours. Most people are normal, by definition.

Catch 22

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”

12 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Lots of people live on boats in marinas because they like that life style, they are there every day or night, not away for long periods or have bad track records. I would guess that some of them may have actually given you some advice over the past couple of years.

23 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Lots of people live on boats in marinas because they like that life style, they are there every day or night, not away for long periods or have bad track records. I would guess that some of them may have actually given you some advice over the past couple of years.

That is their business, but they should not spend their time on malicious gossip, swearing, assaulting and generally being very unpleasant.

I have stayed in many marinas over many years, but not in these cheek by jowl liveaboard places, so I would advise people to avoid them. A few residents may chose to live there, but for many it may be the only option

The best advice they could have given me was to piss off, I got the message eventually.

Edited by LadyG

16 minutes ago, LadyG said:

That is their business, but they should not spend their time on malicious gossip, swearing, assaulting and generally being very unpleasant.

I have stayed in many marinas over many years, but not in these cheek by jowl liveaboard places, so I would advise people to avoid them. A few residents may chose to live thee, but for many it may be the only option

The best advice they could have given me was to piss off unless I wanted to become like them.

With some relief no doubt. 

...that made more sense before your final 4th edit, but never mind I'm sure you were relieved to be on your way out.

Edited by Chagall
tidiness
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, haggis said:

You are now, because of one experience, the expert on marina living? I don't think so and I don't think you should continue spouting about subjects where your knowledge is very limited, While marina living is not everyones  preferred option it has advantages.  When you were in the marina and telling us how awful everyone (but you) was I used to cringe and I felt that it you were a neighbour of mine in a marina, I would have taken steps to move to another part of the marina. It takes two to tango!

haggis 

I don't think I mentioned being physicsally attacked, or being sworn at, of course I was aware they tracked me on here, typically they never mentioned it face to face. Anyway I have left, though still stalk on here,, and they still gossip maliciously to anyone who will listen.

I am not the only person on here who has found some boaters to be living on a boat because they have no choice.

I had to warn my visitors to keep their business with me to themselves, as they were always met by my neighbour, well not when the local police came on my request. That did not go down well, but I am not having people attacking me and thinking I will take no action.

I did not claim to be an expert on marina living. Though I have visited a few, I would assume folks who live on canal boats are not typically those who keep boats in coastal marinas, I would think that is self evident.

Edited by LadyG

12 hours ago, LadyG said:

If you'd prefaced your comment with "in my experience..." then it wouldn't have been so bad, but to make a derogatory sweeping statement about every marina dweller is just offensive.

The fact that you feel unconcerned about causing offence, somewhat undermines your sob-story about your marina experience.  I'm sure your neighbours there would tell the account very differently.  The rest of us here have only your story to go on, but it comes across that you're saying that everyone else was in the wrong except you.  That sort of thing rarely rings entirely true to the unbiased listener.

Edited by doratheexplorer

3 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

If you'd prefaced your comment with "in my experience..." then it wouldn't have been so bad, but to make a derogatory sweeping statement about every marina dweller is just offensive.

Well I apologise if you were offended.

12 hours ago, LadyG said:

Re read post 53.

I stated my observations of the one and only inland marina I have ever lived in. I suggested it was a good idea if one was away most of the time, it makes sense to have somewhere to come back to, though I did meet an HGV driver who usually lived in a his rather minimalist van conversion, he seemed to prefer that to living on his boat.

16 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Well I apologise if you were offended.

Its not a case of us being offended, it is a case of people, new to boating, asking questions and you  give your (limited)  experience as if it is  fact. It is not fair to mislead new comers like that when they come on here looking for advice. 

haggis

4 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Re read post 53.

I stated my observations of the one and only inland marina I have ever lived in. I suggested it was a good idea if one was away most of the time, it makes sense to have somewhere to come back to, though I did meet an HGV driver who usually lived in a his rather minimalist van conversion, he seemed to prefer that to living on his boat.

But you didn't say that! You just said not to moor in a marina.  had you made it plain that what you advised was based on very limited experience, that would have been fine. 

haggis

• Greenie 3

51 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I don't think I mentioned being physicsally attacked, or being sworn at, of course I was aware they tracked me on here, typically they never mentioned it face to face. Anyway I have left, though still stalk on here,, and they still gossip maliciously to anyone who will listen.

I am not the only person on here who has found some boaters to be living on a boat because they have no choice.

I had to warn my visitors to keep their business with me to themselves, as they were always met by my neighbour, well not when the local police came on my request. That did not go down well, but I am not having people attacking me and thinking I will take no action.

I did not claim to be an expert on marina living. Though I have visited a few, I would assume folks who live on canal boats are not typically those who keep boats in coastal marinas, I would think that is self evident.

Have you ever considered that you and your attitude might be part of the problem?

After all you complained several times in here about communication problems with your family members and with others.

And what is it about HGV drivers, you really seem to have a thing there?

Edited by Graham Davis

7 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

I went in a pub once which I didn't like.  Therefore all pubs are bad.  The only people who should go into pubs are criminals and idiots.

I've been in a few pubs like that. Once.