Newbie - Advice on this boat please

lee_2

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, lee_2 said:

I agree neither are good boats. Both now rejected.

Not looking for an investment. Looking for somewhere to live that is mine. Stuck in the rent trap.

Based in Newbury. Would continually cruise. Aware that logistically it's not simple but doable.

Colour me perplexed as well. There's a lot to research. And to begin with the recent research was to a large part based around fitting out a sailaway. And licenses and rules etc.

I started to be turned away from that idea and only in the last few days started looking at 2nd hand boats.

Everything seems overpriced if I compare to when I last looked seriously about 3 years ago. 'Project boats that were sub 10,000 now going for near 20,000 etc. But the market is the the market.

Turning back towards the sailaway and fitting it out around me. I can do  'slumming it'. I spent my late teens and most of my twenties living in squats. All though to be fair most of them were very nice for squats. We looked after them.

Open mind. Anything could happen. I'm getting out of this flat soon. Bleeding me dry in the longrun. Might even end up in a van and save more money. We'll see.

Journey with jono on youtube tried to fit out a sailaway, after two or thee years it got a paintjob, he has moved on, got a proper job and sold the boat, I think  and he was pretty hands on type, 

My best advice if you intend to liveaboard straight away, get a boat from another 'real liveabard' cc type. A marina based liveaboard is bad news DAMHIK, but I knew mine needed £4k spent on it in year1, and another £3K to make it comfy.

I paid approx £1250 direct labour for stuff that was beyond me, I paid a ripoff merchant about £350 more than he was worth.

PS folks who are not boaters, but who camp out on cheapo boats in London, and rely on a portable generator:.....  swerve.  :......

Edited by LadyG

If you want to live on a boat, then go ahead, if you don't really want to, but it's one option, then you might want to consider living in a cheapo marina. On a boat that is more of a roof over your head, I inadevertantly paid £2K per annum, to stay in one such. It would have been OK if I had a job with overtime, and did not have to do much other than sleep on it, 'living' in a marina with many others cheek by jowl is for folks who are 'making the best of a bad job', or have an HGV licence and are away tbree weeks out of four, or have a bad track record.

Edited by LadyG

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

Journey with jono on youtube tried to fit out a sailaway, after two or thee years it got a paintjob, he has moved on, got a proper job and sold the boat, I think  and he was pretty hands on type, 

My best advice if you intend to liveaboard straight away, get a boat from another 'real liveabard' cc type. A marina based liveaboard is bad news DAMHIK, but I knew mine needed £4k spent on it in year1, and another £3K to make it comfy.

I paid approx £1250 direct labour for stuff that was beyond me, I paid a ripoff merchant about £350 more than he was worth.

PS folks who are not boaters, but who camp out on cheapo boats in London, and rely on a portable generator:.....  swerve.  :......

Yeah but you can get that in many walks of life. People starting projects they never finish or barely get started, Boats, cars, steam engines, matchstick models of the deathstar. I'd like to think I'd get it done but who knows. Shit happens. Two years out of the last five barely working due to disabling ill health reminds me to 'expect the unexpected'. 99% better now. Then just as (or not long enough after) I was properly back earning friggin covid and lockdown ?
All advice and thoughts gratefully received. That's why I posted.

10 grand a year in rent (cheapish round here). There got to be a better way me tinks.

6 minutes ago, lee_2 said:

Yeah but you can get that in many walks of life. People starting projects they never finish or barely get started, Boats, cars, steam engines, matchstick models of the deathstar. I'd like to think I'd get it done but who knows. Shit happens. Two years out of the last five barely working due to disabling ill health reminds me to 'expect the unexpected'. 99% better now. Then just as (or not long enough after) I was properly back earning friggin covid and lockdown ?
All advice and thoughts gratefully received. That's why I posted.

10 grand a year in rent (cheapish round here). There got to be a better way me tinks.

Yes,but Jono was skilled, had a lot of ideas, no health issues and no money problems.

If renting is £10K p a a d seems unafflrdable long term maybe get a job r,sewhere.

I see a guy here who is a caretsker at the bost club, I assume he gets accomodation thrown in, thefe are loads of jobs like that.

Edited by LadyG

10 minutes ago, lee_2 said:

? Good for Jono.

Yes, that was in response to your post who said there were loads of unfinished projects by random persons , most incomplete rojects are folks who think that puting a shelf up in a flat is joinery

There are lots of guys who come on here and who get a bit antsy when they hear things tbey don't want to hear.

No problem, do what you want to do, when and where it suits you.

Edited by LadyG

Just now, LadyG said:

Yes, that was in response to your post who said there were loads of unfinished projects by random persons , most projects are folks who thought that putting a shelf up in a flat was 'joinery'

Well it did come across slightly as "you've no skills, no ideas, health issues and money problems.".

1. Debatable

2. I have but they could well be poor.

3. Not any more.

4. All relative.

But no worries. I'm all about the love. ?

7 hours ago, Athy said:

If a boat with so many recent new bits is being offered at such a "bargain" price I'd be very suspicious. The inside looks boring with that anaemic paintwork, but that can be easily cured. But there must be something fundamentally wrong with the boat, otherwise it would surely be on sale at twice the price.

The words 'Hull survey done August 2020 - some recommendations advised' are probably key here. The recommendation might be full underplating, which would explain why they're not asking for 20k...

39 minutes ago, enigmatic said:

The words 'Hull survey done August 2020 - some recommendations advised' are probably key here. The recommendation might be full underplating, which would explain why they're not asking for 20k...

My thoughts entirely, yes.

9 hours ago, LadyG said:

If you want to live on a boat, then go ahead, if you don't really want to, but it's one option, then you might want to consider living in a cheapo marina. On a boat that is more of a roof over your head, I inadevertantly paid £2K per annum, to stay in one such. It would have been OK if I had a job with overtime, and did not have to do much other than sleep on it, 'living' in a marina with many others cheek by jowl is for folks who are 'making the best of a bad job', or have an HGV licence and are away tbree weeks out of four, or have a bad track record.

So your few months of living on the cut makes you an expert to add to your vast list of professions?   You condemn those living in a "cheapo" marina as having a "bad track record"  Your attitude madam is some of the very worst kind of prejudiced and hypocritical I have ever come across! 

• Greenie 4

10 hours ago, LadyG said:

If renting is £10K p a a d seems unafflrdable long term maybe get a job r,sewhere.

I see a guy here who is a caretsker at the bost club, I assume he gets accomodation thrown in, thefe are loads of jobs like that.

You edited your post with that addition.

What are you on about ? You've no idea what I do for a job. Im not rich and I'm not poor. Renting just seems like burning money. And who knows what the future holds ?

I don't want to be a caretaker or anything like that.  Good luck switching jobs during the pandemic anyway.

You seem a bit full on.

Edited by lee_2
  • Greenie 2

18 hours ago, lee_2 said:

Well it did come across slightly as "you've no skills, no ideas, health issues and money problems.".

1. Debatable

2. I have but they could well be poor.

3. Not any more.

4. All relative.

But no worries. I'm all about the love. ?

Sorry  was not referring to you, was just giving reasons why there are quite a few unfinished projects, it's very difficult to believe just how slowly work progresses, and how much cash needs injected to make a decent job, if you check out colin jaques, and journey with jono, and the narrowboat helen, all three on youtube, there is plenty of info for the prospective fitting out person, Colin had a workshop and was a professional carpenter, I think, narrowboat helen stripped out and started with a bare hull, and jono was in to technical detail especially lithium, think he ended up working for Victron. 

I wish you all the best with your boating , I'm sure you will manage fine.

Jo

Edited by LadyG
  • Greenie 1

9 hours ago, Chagall said:

So your few months of living on the cut makes you an expert to add to your vast list of professions?   You condemn those living in a "cheapo" marina as having a "bad track record"  Your attitude madam is some of the very worst kind of prejudiced and hypocritical I have ever come across! 

probably picked it up in Kansas.

10 hours ago, Chagall said:

Jo has formed her opinion based on a year of living in that marina, so her view is indeed based on experience. In what way is it prejudiced or hypocritical?

23 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Coles Morton would not figure in my list of desirable boats, I saw them built, to a minimum standard as sponsored hire boats. 

Agreed, it has one redeeming factor, price. 

I think OP should swerve a narrowboat, as he has shown no particular desire for one, his dream is a girt big modern widebeam, that's not my dream, it's not got enough 'character', or 'style'

There are wide canals up here in t'north east, and lots of folks here have proper motor boats, so , if he finds one 'up north' the lower prices should allow him to transport it past the narrow canals, to it's new home. I've only been on one, it was definate,y more relaxing. My NB has a good big saloon for a single person, it's six by ten, a wider boat, a saloon if ten by ten or more would be fine for a couple, imho, and you don't have to squash the shower cabinet into the Tardis.

On 13/11/2020 at 19:11, Mad Harold said:

To me,all negative.

1 It's a Springer.

2 It's been overplated.

3 The engine is raw water cooled,which means canal water is circulating in the engine water jacket.A recipe for corrosion.

4 From the ad,the engine sounds "dodgy".

Worth the money? no,not in my opinion.

Not necessarily. It might be indirect raw water cooled. 

This thread has digressed quite a bit from my original query regarding "is the Springer worth the money".

But that's good. Lot's of great advice, food for thought.

I must admit I'm still often struggling, at the moment (and probably for the foreseeable future ), spotting if a particular boat is good value or not. So many variables. I'll have to keep learning.

If I do buy a boat it will almost certainly be the single most expensive purchase of my life so far and unsurprisingly I'd like to try and get it right!

Thanks again to EVERY member who has shared their views.

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Athy said:

Jo has formed her opinion based on a year of living in that marina, so her view is indeed based on experience. In what way is it prejudiced or hypocritical?

............   perhaps because her experience is limited to one particular marina - literally "a cheapo marina".  

generalisations of that sort are odious.

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

............   perhaps because her experience is limited to one particular marina - literally "a cheapo marina".  

generalisations of that sort are odious.

But there was no generalisation, Jo was commenting on her personal experience in one marina, and there was nothing "odious" about her post. There may have been odious aspects to that marina, but I haven't been there so I can't comment.

48 minutes ago, Athy said:

But there was no generalisation, Jo was commenting on her personal experience in one marina, and there was nothing "odious" about her post. There may have been odious aspects to that marina, but I haven't been there so I can't comment.

the implication was clear, if not to you then certainly to others.

• Greenie 2

7 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

the implication was clear, if not to you then certainly to others.

"Others" may care to twist and distort the content of a perfectly innocuous post in a malicious way, possibly. If so, include me out.

4 minutes ago, Athy said:

"Others" may care to twist and distort the content of a perfectly innocuous post in a malicious way, possibly. If so, include me out.

Innocuous?   "'living' in a marina with many others cheek by jowl is for folks who are 'making the best of a bad job', or have an HGV licence and are away tbree weeks out of four, or have a bad track record."    This condemns marina dwellers by association and is the reason for my reply to her. 

... the above quoted comment, even if meant regarding her neighbours in Goole (which I doubt was the implication) is still pretty unpleasant and by no means  "innocuous." 

• Greenie 4

5 minutes ago, Chagall said:

Innocuous?   "'living' in a marina with many others cheek by jowl is for folks who are 'making the best of a bad job', or have an HGV licence and are away tbree weeks out of four, or have a bad track record."    This condemns marina dwellers by association and is the reason for my reply to her. 

... the above quoted comment, even if meant regarding her neighbours in Goole (which I doubt was the implication) is still pretty unpleasant and by no means  "innocuous." 

Thank you for expressing your opinion.