Jump to content

November Lockdown (Two threads merged)


Featured Posts

13 minutes ago, Graham Davis said:

I think you will find that the Magna Carta was superseded in Law many years ago. 

There are four Articles from the Great Charter that are still in force.  1, 13, 39 and 40.

 

(1) FIRST, THAT WE HAVE GRANTED TO GOD, and by this present charter have confirmed for us and our heirs in perpetuity, that the English Church shall be free, and shall have its rights undiminished, and its liberties unimpaired. That we wish this so to be observed, appears from the fact that of our own free will, before the outbreak of the present dispute between us and our barons, we granted and confirmed by charter the freedom of the Church's elections - a right reckoned to be of the greatest necessity and importance to it - and caused this to be confirmed by Pope Innocent III. This freedom we shall observe ourselves, and desire to be observed in good faith by our heirs in perpetuity.“

 

(13)  “The city of London shall enjoy all its ancient liberties and free customs, both by land and by water. We also will and grant that all other cities, boroughs, towns, and ports shall enjoy all their liberties and free customs.”

 

(39) “No free man shall be seized, imprisoned, dispossessed, outlawed, exiled or ruined in any way, nor in any way proceeded against, except by the lawful judgement of his peers and the law of the land.

 

(40) “To no one will we sell, to no one will we deny or delay right or justice.”

 

 

Although King John agreed to the Magna Carta at first, he disliked it when its terms were forced upon him.

He wrote to the Pope to get it annulled, who agreed with John despite the strain between the King and the Church at the time

The Pope called the Magna Carta “illegal, unjust, harmful to royal rights and shameful to the English people”. He then declared the charter “null and void of all validity for ever” in 1216.

Edited by nbfiresprite
  • Greenie 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Graham Davis said:

I think you will find that the Magna Carta was superseded in Law many years ago. 

Maybe so, but it doesn't stop people getting excited. 😉

 

Reading the twitter thread, it says Art 61 has been invoked 5 times, which sort of gives it credence. 

 

I guess some people who's life long business is about to go down the drain would clutch any straw. 

 

Edited by Jennifer McM
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Jennifer McM said:

Maybe so, but it doesn't stop people getting excited. 😉

 

Reading the twitter thread, it says Art 61 has been invoked 5 times, which sort of gives it credence. 

 

I guess some people who's life long business is about to go down the drain would clutch any staw. 

 

They are clutching at straws uk gov site says 1 part 1, 13, 39 and 40 are the only ones that are in use today

  • Greenie 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

What I cant understand is the decision to ban pubs from selling takeaway beer, especially real ales. This was a lifeline for some pubs in the first lockdown, managing to sell the beer before it had to be destroyed, in fact, we were taking 5 litre plastic containers from the Boat at Stoke Bruerne throughout.

 

This time, it has to be dumped.

 

Wetherspoons are doing 99p a pint on all real ales until Wednesday to clear it all, cant see people being careful if theyve got one of those near.....well done for another stupid decision by .Gov

  • Greenie 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, matty40s said:

What I cant understand is the decision to ban pubs from selling takeaway beer, especially real ales. This was a lifeline for some pubs in the first lockdown, managing to sell the beer before it had to be destroyed, in fact, we were taking 5 litre plastic containers from the Boat at Stoke Bruerne throughout.

 

This time, it has to be dumped.

 

Wetherspoons are doing 99p a pint on all real ales until Wednesday to clear it all, cant see people being careful if theyve got one of those near.....well done for another stupid decision by .Gov

The whole thing is a complete mess of pottage, 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, matty40s said:

What I cant understand is the decision to ban pubs from selling takeaway beer, especially real ales. This was a lifeline for some pubs in the first lockdown, managing to sell the beer before it had to be destroyed, in fact, we were taking 5 litre plastic containers from the Boat at Stoke Bruerne throughout.

 

This time, it has to be dumped.

 

Wetherspoons are doing 99p a pint on all real ales until Wednesday to clear it all, cant see people being careful if theyve got one of those near.....well done for another stupid decision by .Gov

I am out with good friends for beer and food tomorrow night, we were out yesterday. We are dedicated in our path to keep the Great British pub in business. We will do our utmost to help tomorrow again :D

  • Greenie 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

I am out with good friends for beer and food tomorrow night, we were out yesterday. We are dedicated in our path to keep the Great British pub in business. We will do our utmost to help tomorrow again :D

Local pub closed today, and I will be lucky to get there tomorrow, I could do with that half price deal, it's costing me a day's budget just to support the local pub, there are more staff than customers. Beer is good, I might take a few emplty bottles in on Wednesday in the hope they reduce it to 99p, but a bottle of wine was a tenner the other day, I swerved that..

Edited by LadyG
Link to post
Share on other sites

The beer thing MAY be because last time it degerated to people buying pints to drink in the street with their mates. Another example of the few spoiling things for the many. I don't see what is wrong with being allowed to sell it in sealed containers.

 

There is a lot of lobbying going on to get this reversed. Boris told Parliament this afternoon he would look in to it.

  • Greenie 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Cheshire cat said:

The beer thing MAY be because last time it degerated to people buying pints to drink in the street with their mates. Another example of the few spoiling things for the many. I don't see what is wrong with being allowed to sell it in sealed containers.

 

There is a lot of lobbying going on to get this reversed. Boris told Parliament this afternoon he would look in to it.

People should be allowed to drink beer, it's  part of british way of life. That precludes lager, lager  and any other gassy stuff that makes me burp.

  • Greenie 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Cheshire cat said:

The beer thing MAY be because last time it degerated to people buying pints to drink in the street with their mates. Another example of the few spoiling things for the many. I don't see what is wrong with being allowed to sell it in sealed containers.

 

There is a lot of lobbying going on to get this reversed. Boris told Parliament this afternoon he would look in to it.

It's exactly that, but drinking in public plsces is illegal, in most of the Uk, the police will have a difficult job this week. Probably best to start a few pilot schemes with a dusk to dawn curfew in the hot spots. 

Get the streets disinfected every night, a good dose of Jeyes Fluid or Iodine will get the streets cleaned and cleared.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Jennifer McM said:

Cheer up, garden centres will be allowed to open this time round, that's be great to pick up a Christmas tree ....... errr 🤔

That is good news because come late January I buy my seed compost, just hope I am allowed to drive from Reading to close to the Rock of Gibraltar to pick it up then. Its far better that the rubbish garden centres have.

  • Greenie 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Jennifer McM said:

Cheer up, garden centres will be allowed to open this time round, that's be great to pick up a Christmas tree ....... errr 🤔

Handy for me as my fuel is delivered along with my veg and fruit order from the local Garden Centre which has a farm shop.

  • Greenie 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't go to garden centres, but I do go to museums, libraries, and sometimes, the Edinburgh Woolen Mill , which is closing after about fifty years trading (including in garden centres) due to political interference.

I also visit betting shops, and that is 'cos I used to work in the racing industry, nothiing to do with gambling.

Betting shops are exemplary, they could not do more to prevent the spread of disease yet they have been closed. The betting companies are bringing down the shutters in the UK . Online betting will replace betting shops, the government have killed another Uk industry. Taxation will be avoided, the government drove the betting companies away, and now they will stay away.

For your information, thr British Thoroughbred industry was, until recently the tenth biggest (£) industry in Gt Britain and Ireland, employing hundreds of thousands directly, and many more thousands indirectly, it was not unusual for a racehorse to sell for a milliion or several million, dollars or GBP, now all the horses sold are going abroad, this is because the racing industry has been brought to it's knees by political interference, it was already on a knife edge, and now it is unsustainable.

I have been based in Retford recently, if we remove the shops which currently are closing down, and the betting shops and one or two banks, that will leave an impoverished town centre, and I would say that Retford is a good example of a pleasant town centre in 'midfle England', by which I mean pleasant, and moderately prosperous, by 2021, it eill be charity shop , cheapo shops and empty shops, fewer banks, less variety, no reason for people to visit.

Edited by LadyG
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

That is good news because come late January I buy my seed compost, just hope I am allowed to drive from Reading to close to the Rock of Gibraltar to pick it up then. Its far better that the rubbish garden centres have.

Bunkers hill 👍

Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

That is good news because come late January I buy my seed compost, just hope I am allowed to drive from Reading to close to the Rock of Gibraltar to pick it up then. Its far better that the rubbish garden centres have.

Do they mix their own with proper loam?

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

Do they mix their own with proper loam?

I get mine from the council park for free, great stuff, well rotted leafs which has produced some great veg this year. I am hoping to collect some well rotted manure shortly as well from Wallers farm 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, peterboat said:

I get mine from the council park for free, great stuff, well rotted leafs which has produced some great veg this year. I am hoping to collect some well rotted manure shortly as well from Wallers farm 

Leaf mould is the dogs, I used to have trailer loads of the stuff, also stacked my own turf to make potting compost, so much better than shop bought compost

  • Greenie 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tree monkey said:

Do they mix their own with proper loam?

Not what I buy, loam tends to make it too heavy for plastic trays and pots. I like fine sand in my seed and potting compost and properly sterilised organic matter. Unfortunately many of the readily available composts are full of improperly  heat treated green waste, all sorts of wood fibres/bits and never seen a riddle. easily gets water logged and a ***** to re-wet if it dries out, many also are all too readily grow moulds and moss. Unfortunately the stuff I buy has a fair amount of peat in it but also silver sand so it drains excess water well but holds moisture and more to the point my seeds germinate and tend not to damp off.

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

You do know Amazon deliver?

For compost at what a price. One from Amazon cost nearly as much as three from Bunkers Hill.

  • Greenie 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.