November Lockdown (Two threads merged)

matty40s

Featured Posts

Btw sheep on the uplands are 'hefted' that is to say they stay where they are born and raised, so yes, the do know where they live, often the moors are not fenced.

Punters don't buy horses, the horseracing industry is not the betting industry.

4 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Btw sheep on the uplands are 'hefted' that is to say they stay where they are born and raised, so yes, the do know where they live, often the moors are not fenced.

Punters don't buy horses, the horseracing industry is not the betting industry.

Having been involved in agriculture and sheep for 40 years there isn't much you can tell me about hefting of sheep.  One of my pupils has even written an a claimed book about hill sheep.   Hefting does not nail them to the spot, get yourself out on to some of the moor roads round Carrock Fell or the back of Skiddaw and you will see how much they wander backwards and forward and indeed how far they travel.

Not sure what the buying of horses has to do with anything I have posted.

• Greenie 3

29 minutes ago, Jerra said:

Having been involved in agriculture and sheep for 40 years there isn't much you can tell me about hefting of sheep.  One of my pupils has even written an a claimed book about hill sheep.   Hefting does not nail them to the spot, get yourself out on to some of the moor roads round Carrock Fell or the back of Skiddaw and you will see how much they wander backwards and forward and indeed how far they travel.

Not sure what hefting sheep on the back of Skiddaw has to do with boating lockdown either unless Balham and Edgeware have been found on Derwentwater 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Not sure what hefting sheep on the back of Skiddaw has to do with boating lockdown either unless Balham and Edgeware have been found on Derwentwater 

I think you will find it under the heading of thread drift.   You could equally say your not sure about all the discussion on gambling but you didn't.   Strange.

42 minutes ago, Jerra said:

The computer merged my posts, sorry.

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

No one, can justgo and 'buy a racehorse', if they think they are going to make money on owning a racehorse they will fall at the first hurdle.

If you want totest this, phone up a trainer and tell him your plan. 

When the Chernoble incident happenned, scientists went out to test the area, they found that the whole area was contaminated nothing to do with Chernoble,, all to do with no control, they discharged zillions of gallons of radioactive stuff in to the North Sea, adding to the natural radiation in aea water, just a bit, just enough to cause cancer clusters in SW Scotland.

1 hour ago, Jerra said:

The site was known all over Cumberland and indeed on TV as Calder Hall until after the leak.    Then the name Windscale which was actually the correct name came to the for followed by Sellafield.

The Chernobyl incident was interesting as all the areas of concern because of "fall out" happened to around nuclear stations.   Cynical me never.   Sheep from west Cumbria were being checked and marked as not for human consumption for a lot of year afterwards.   The farce in the who agriculture issue was over at the edge of the restricted area, the area where sheep couldn't be sold ended atan unfenced road.   Of course the sheep knew this and never ever wandered from one side to the other.

ANd how did this radiation travel to the tops of mountains? given that it was in the sea? Chernobyl did it with the help of prevailing winds. At the time I was a radiation supervisor in the Army [later a radiation officer] and it was down to stupidity it happened and bravery of Russian special forces that it didnt explode taking the other reactors on site with it all died but one of radiation sickness over a few days. It was one of the studies we had to do to progress from supervisor to Officer

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

When the Chernoble incident happenned, scientists went out to test the area, they found that the whole area was contaminated nothing to do with Chernoble,, all to do with no control, they discharged zillions of gallons of radioactive stuff in to the North Sea, adding to the natural radiation in aea water, just a bit, just enough to cause cancer clusters in SW Scotland.

Get your facts straight!
The testing after Chernobyl showed that fall-out from there covered a far bigger area than around Windscale, including down to here in Mid Wales. 
And they'd have a hell of a job dumping into the North Sea!

• Greenie 1

9 minutes ago, peterboat said:

ANd how did this radiation travel to the tops of mountains? given that it was in the sea? 

The news at the time talked about winds carrying the fall out.   You may not have picked up my cynicism in the posts but I am deeply suspicious that the supposed fall out was all near our own nuclear facilities.   Particularly as I have seen pre 1984 maps showing radiation spread from Sellafield ultimately pluming out down the Ullswater valley.

9 minutes ago, alias said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windscale_fire "The fire burned for three days and released radioactive fallout which spread across the UK and the rest of Europe."

What was released from the two reactors was different and can be tested as that, the levels over us were minute, but long lived from Chernobyl. Go on line there are some good books about it, when the wind direction changed and it looked like Moscow was going to get the full force of the fallout Russian airplanes seeded the clouds so that it rained the fallout over other countries in the bloc rather than Moscow. We got some fallout because of changed wind patterns and a storm if I remember rightly

• Greenie 1

7 minutes ago, Jerra said:

The news at the time talked about winds carrying the fall out.   You may not have picked up my cynicism in the posts but I am deeply suspicious that the supposed fall out was all near our own nuclear facilities.   Particularly as I have seen pre 1984 maps showing radiation spread from Sellafield ultimately pluming out down the Ullswater valley.

Different substances but you are right Sellafield did dose us properly. You can tell where radio active substances from nuclear power stations come from as they have a distinct signature. I find it strange but our teachers who really knew their stuff told us it was true. But I dont disbelieve you because I have been to the area with my then job

• Greenie 1

Well my Fone just pinged and my NHS app told me I had been into contact with someone with a positive covid result and to self isolate for 9 days. It's gone all red and flashy lol. Good timing though first day of restrictions. 

• Horror 1

11 hours ago, alias said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windscale_fire "The fire burned for three days and released radioactive fallout which spread across the UK and the rest of Europe."

The radiation in the sea was a different cause, it was dischrged fron the reactor deliberately, there is a lot of radioactivity in the cooling ponds.

I suspect they 'fiddled' the figures when any accidental leaks occured

Edited by LadyG

9 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Well my Fone just pinged and my NHS app told me I had been into contact with someone with a positive covid result and to self isolate for 9 days. It's gone all red and flashy lol. Good timing though first day of restrictions. 

Does it explain how to do this?

We had a post earlier saying his neighbour 'in quarantine' was out shopping every day, obviouslt that is neither self isolating nor quarantining.

When I was a kiddies I got German Measles, I think, my mum stayed in the house to look after me, and a basket of food was sent up via my bedroom window, on a rope.

My teddy was hung up by the ears on the washing line afterwards, it was a traumatic experience for both of us.

Edited by LadyG

10 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Serve you right for living that wild dinner and pub life! ? Hope you are ok Tim and don't develope symptoms look after mate

10 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Do you think youve got enough beer and bacon to survive....

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Do you think youve got enough beer and bacon to survive....

:clapping::P Luckily I have!! Whats strange is that it pinged up last night telling me to isolate for 9 days which is a weird number unless it had forgotten me?? The missus hasnt got any ping on hers and we are always together and if we hadnt been and its pinged me and suposedly knows when someone is close why hasnt it pinged her fone also? Anyway coffee tastes the same this morning ?

5 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

:clapping::P Luckily I have!! Whats strange is that it pinged up last night telling me to isolate for 9 days which is a weird number unless it had forgotten me?? The missus hasnt got any ping on hers and we are always together and if we hadnt been and its pinged me and suposedly knows when someone is close why hasnt it pinged her fone also? Anyway coffee tastes the same this morning ?

Could it be that you were at the very edge of the area they notify and she was just outside.   Assuming that is it didn't turn out to be one of these phantom messages.

1 minute ago, Jerra said:

Could it be that you were at the very edge of the area they notify and she was just outside.   Assuming that is it didn't turn out to be one of these phantom messages.

You could well be correct? I dont know how it works?? The strange bit is if it has notified me as it thinks I have been near someone that it doesnt notify her as it knows our fones are together, maybe I spose it cannot go more than one contact and not see their contracts if you know what I mean????

20 minutes ago, Jerra said:

or some nar do well has infiltrated the app and is having fun.

8 minutes ago, matty40s said:

What was the trigger date, there have been lots of people being sent these isolate instructions weeks after they should have done it, or have actually done it!!

Blimey???? I heard it ping last night and opened it and it said I had been near someone who had tested positively and to self isolate til 13th of november. Its now pulsing a red ring thing at me lol.

Screenshot_20201106_100250_uk.nhs.covid19.production.jpg

Edited by mrsmelly
  • Horror 1

41 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

The period will be based on the time when you have contact with the person who tested positive.  So I would guess that contact was 5 days ago.  It does not cascade so your contact would not propagate to your wife, otherwise the whole population would end up in isolation.  Presumably the contact you had did not involve your wife, what were you up to 5 days ago!

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Blimey???? I heard it ping last night and opened it and it said I had been near someone who had tested positively and to self isolate til 13th of november. Its now pulsing a red ring thing at me lol.

Screenshot_20201106_100250_uk.nhs.covid19.production.jpg

My son got one of them, my grandson had loaded the app and used his dads details, turned out a school teacher at the grandsons school has gone down with it

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

My son got one of them, my grandson had loaded the app and used his dads details, turned out a school teacher at the grandsons school has gone down with it

The app has no details of anyone at all, it is just tied to the phone if you want to look at it simply.  If it is your grandson that has it on his phone and it was he who was in contact, then it would be his phone that got the alert.