November Lockdown (Two threads merged)

matty40s

Featured Posts

7 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

:clapping::P Luckily I have!! Whats strange is that it pinged up last night telling me to isolate for 9 days which is a weird number unless it had forgotten me?? The missus hasnt got any ping on hers and we are always together and if we hadnt been and its pinged me and suposedly knows when someone is close why hasnt it pinged her fone also? Anyway coffee tastes the same this morning ?

The Test and Trace system bought at the bargain price of £12 bn and in the capable hands of you know who couldn't find it's way out of a paper bag. As an example of this. Brother in law was asked to take part in a trial administered by Imperial College on behalf of ONS. He did the self test on Tues 27/10 and it was collected on the same day by courier.  On Tuesday 3/11 he received a call from T & T to tell him that he had tested positive and that he should self isolate for 10 days from the date of test. He was asked for and gave details of close contacts. (2 sons and 1 daughter in law and obviously my sister (his wife) He also mentioned that I had been in the same room as him for about 15 minutes. As of 11am today not one of us have been contacted by T & T.  A total of 6 adults and 4 children in self isolation and no official approach (yet).  

Edited by Slim

22 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Well my Fone just pinged and my NHS app told me I had been into contact with someone with a positive covid result and to self isolate for 9 days. It's gone all red and flashy lol. Good timing though first day of restrictions. 

My phone didn't ping but when I looked at it on Thursday, it said self isolate for 11 days. We had been to a pub for a meal the day before (Wednesday) and I had logged in and there wasn't a warning then. I hope this means the contact was on Monday. It would be helpful to know where the contact was made.

• Greenie 1

7 minutes ago, sueb said:

My phone didn't ping but when I looked at it on Thursday, it said self isolate for 11 days. We had been to a pub for a meal the day before (Wednesday) and I had logged in and there wasn't a warning then. I hope this means the contact was on Monday. It would be helpful to know where the contact was made.

They never tell you the location, self isolate starts from when they are first informed. So it could be anytime in the last week or so, when contact was made. 

9 minutes ago, sueb said:

If it is worth anything, I don’t think a checkin on its own will tell you to self isolate, just that you need to be careful.  For a phone to phone contact there is no data to say where that was, that is the whole point with all the privacy stuff.

5 minutes ago, john6767 said:

If it is worth anything, I don’t think a checkin on its own will tell you to self isolate, just that you need to be careful.  For a phone to phone contact there is no data to say where that was, that is the whole point with all the privacy stuff.

Wrong thread

Edited by LadyG

Self isolation is calculated from the day of first symptoms - or the date of the test if no previous symptoms - of the person testing positive with whom you have been in close contact. The person testing positive will have a 10 day isolation period from that date and the contact 14 days. When I had to self isolate I know exactly who I had been in contact with and therefore how the dates were calculated. My daughter has had to self-isolate twice through contact with a positive tested person. The system doesn’t extend beyond the person in direct contact with a person testing positive. If you think what would happen if it did it’s pretty obvious why, most of country would be in self-isolation.

Be warned, the state will check up on you repeatedly.

Edited by Captain Pegg

4 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

Self isolation is calculated from the day of first symptoms of the person testing positive with whom you have been in close contact. The person testing positive will have a 10 day isolation period from that date and the contact 14 days. When I had to self isolate I know exactly who I had been in contact with and therefore how the dates were calculated. My daughter has had to self-isolate twice through contact with a positive tested person. The system doesn’t extend beyond the person in direct contact with a person testing positive. If you think what would happen if it did it’s pretty obvious why, most of country would be in self-isolation.

Well, the system has failed in my B I L case. As of 9 pm today none of his direct contacts have been contacted. Ironically  out of all of us he's the only one no longer required to self isolated. 

48 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

The state will not check up at all, rubbish.

USA citizen buys boat, comes over and expects to serve his quarantine in local marina with shielding people. Told no, boats engine running and doors open, and a weekly shop done on his arrival, go away for 14 days. Repeatedly returns for (lots of )delivered parcels and shops most days locally.

Another couple arrive from Spain, after overnight drive to beat lockdown over there. Again want to quarantine in marina, no. Go to pub on first night, and then locally most other nights. Complain that nobody gave handover, that nobody will replace batteries, and diesel heater not working so they are cold (2 stoves on board with ample coal).

There are no checks being done.

Edited by matty40s

32 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

Self isolation is calculated from the day of first symptoms - or the date of the test if no previous symptoms - of the person testing positive with whom you have been in close contact. The person testing positive will have a 10 day isolation period from that date and the contact 14 days. When I had to self isolate I know exactly who I had been in contact with and therefore how the dates were calculated. My daughter has had to self-isolate twice through contact with a positive tested person. The system doesn’t extend beyond the person in direct contact with a person testing positive. If you think what would happen if it did it’s pretty obvious why, most of country would be in self-isolation.

I'm the contact, but only have to isolate for 11 days

44 minutes ago, john6767 said:

The point was that the app didn't show that I should isolate when I looked at it the day before.

14 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

Not rubbish, Matt. I had numerous messages and calls during my period of self isolation.

9 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

Friend of my daughter had numerous calls whilst she was self isolating so they do check up on those told to isolate.

Ah, OK , apologies, they arent checking the ones coming from places they should quarantine from then.

4 minutes ago, sueb said:

The point was that the app didn't show that I should isolate when I looked at it the day before.

It’s only going to do that when your phone has downloaded a key that matches, so not sure what you mean?  Before it has that key it does not know.

8 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Ah, OK , apologies, they arent checking the ones coming from places they should quarantine from then.

Maybe not and I’m sure the system isn’t perfect. Note though I did say ‘checking’ rather than ‘spying’ or ‘monitoring’. They did persist with trying to contact me.

I have heard they do trace your mobile but whether that’s true or not I don’t know. It wouldn’t show local trips to the pub anyway I suspect.

Edited by Captain Pegg

6 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Apparently, the Watford flight is bookable for essential passage during the week, but shut over the weekend. 

Cant find the update on CRT site though.

There was a stoppage email for that and one for Foxton.  Similarly for widebeams through Braunston and Blisworth.

Recent posts show confusion when and what to do together with a debate as to whether one will be monitored. I can only say that my brother in law who tested positive and informed by T & T has not been checked upon since. The rest of us (all self isolating ) have not been contacted by any official. If my brother in law (truthfully my sister) had not told us we would all of been walking around in total ignorance.

Edited by Slim

36 minutes ago, Slim said:

Recent posts show confusion when and what to do together with a debate as to whether one will be monitored. I can only say that my brother in law who tested positive and informed by T & T has not been checked upon since. The rest of us (all self isolating ) have not been contacted by any official. If my brother in law (truthfully my sister) had not told us we would all of been walking around in total ignorance.

Not really. For starters you don’t actually need the Track & Trace system to tell you what to do. You can find out for yourself on gov.uk. In your case something has apparently gone wrong in the notification process and in other cases above no one has actually said there is monitoring. What does happen is that the Track & Trace team check up on people who they have notified of the need to self isolate and you won’t find it easy to ignore them. Of course to some this is helpful, it’s purported purpose being a check on their understanding of what is required of them and of their well being, but to me it was a bit of a PITA. Not least because I had no symptoms and to learn I had to self isolate after 6 days of living with someone who thought they had a cold but transpired to have Covid wasn’t massively helpful.

8 hours ago, Captain Pegg said:

But  if most of the country was in srlf isolation eg all shps closed for four days and only people who are true key workers at work, and people looking after animals and the like,, would this not be more effective than the current pretend lockdown that we have this week, the towpath here has twice as many people out and about than there were last week, yes I agree with exercising if locked down for an extended period, but folks and their dogs could manage for four days, they used to do it every year at Christmas, in fact shops used to shut two days every week, and no one starved.

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

But  if most of the country was in srlf isolation eg all shps closed for four days and only people who are true key workers at work, and people looking after animals and the like,, would this not be more effective than the current pretend lockdown that we have this week, the towpath here has twice as many people out and about than there were last week, yes I agree with exercising if locked down for an extended period, but folks and their dogs could manage for four days, they used to do it every year at Christmas, in fact shops used to shut two days every week, and no one starved.

A total lockdown may be a better way to stop people getting Covid if that were the sole objective but the purpose of Government policy is not to prevent people getting Covid. It is to control the outbreak at a manageable level while limiting the number of deaths and collateral damage to the economy.

I can only assume that those who know recognise that a short few days total lockdown isn’t likely to be effective. Hence the longer period, which in reality cannot be as stringent as a shorter one.

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

They are trying to prevent un necessary indoor aerosol exposure and concurrent droplet caused contact exposure.

Hence the push to address sick building syndrome caused by sealed windowed buildings.

Ratepayers using the towpaths in their areas will not spread the virus unless they go via the petrol station coffee shop and retail park.

If you deny people access to the world outside a cramped flat they will get ill.

• 1 month later...