November Lockdown (Two threads merged)

matty40s

Featured Posts

5 hours ago, Jerra said:

No they didn't!   There is an age limit below which you are not allowed to purchase lottery tickets.    To me you seem to be desperately trying to defend gambling because you enjoy it.

You quote a week where you took money out, how many weeks a year do you not come out on top?  When I was very young my Dad said in response to me commenting on what the local bookies son could afford  "you never see a poor bookie lad".

I am totally against the Lottery, I think I made that clear

I don't gamble, when did I say I enjoyed gambling?

I don't make a profit from gambling, where did I suggest I did?

There are a few professional punters, usually very quick with odds and suchlike, good mathematical skills, pre'ared to spend hours studying form etc, there are very few of them, and I only know of them because they have become wealthy due to their skills.

. I am interested in racing, my first bet was on  a sweep, I think it was Red Alligator in the Grand National.

The first time I went in to a betting shop was in 1990 when I went to watch one of our horses running, I did not bet on it.

I used to train horses, I had £2 on one I thought would win, she had been abused in her earlier life, and now I had turned her life around. I was just backing my judgement, obviously she won, as did my other one, it was a144 to one double, a gambler would have been taking advantage of that and plunged on, as I say, I am not a gambler, a gambler's eyes light up when 'the money is on', it's an excitement, I don't have 'excitement', obviously pleased if I make money, but I don't expect to make money from gambling' I put a few prnce on in order to make the race more interesting, ocasionslly it pays off, more often it does not.

Having worked in racing,  I can assure you that there is no such thing as a certainty, it's a bonus if any of your horses win a race, and it is a long hard road to get them on to the track, never mind get their head in front.

People who have a personal pension fund are huge gamblers, but they would deny it, I lost most of my pension fund in the Equitable Life debacle, I thought the Financial Authorities, government backed would protect my capital, but they did not, so I was 'gambling', as you are 'gambling' if you have your money under the matress or in a buili D ing society or in South African Gold Rand pieces.

Edited by LadyG

15 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I am totally against the Lottery, I think I made that clear

I don't make a profit from gambling, where did I suggest I did?

There are a few professional punters, usually very quick with odds and suchlike, good mathematical skills, pre'ared to spend hours studying form etc, there are very few of them, and I only know of them because they have become wealthy due to their skills.

. I am interested in racing, my first bet was on  a sweep, I think it was Red Alligator in the Grand National.

The first time I went in to a betting shop was in 1990 when I went to watch one of our horses running, I did not bet on it.

I used to train horses, I had £2 on one I thought would win, she had been abused in her earlier life, and now I had turned her life around. I was just backing my judgement, obviously she won, as did my other one, it was a144 to one double, a gambler would have been taking advantage of that and plunged on, as I say, I am not a gambler, a gambler's eyes light up when 'the money is on', it's an excitement, I don't have 'excitement', obviously pleased if I make money, but I don't expect to make money from gambling' I put a few prnce on in order to make the race more interesting, ocasionslly it pays off, more often it does not.

Having worked in racing,  I can assure you that there is no such thing as a certainty, it's a bonus if any of your horses win a race, and it is a long hard road to get them on to the track, never mind get their head in front.

People who have a personal pension fund are huge gamblers, but they would deny it, I lost most of my pension fund in the Equitable Life debacle, I thought the Financial Authorities, government backed would protect my capital, but they did not, so I was 'gambling', as you are 'gambling' if you have your money under the matress or in a build ing society or in South African Gold Rand pieces. I get fed up with the 'holier than thou' lot who tell me that they are betwr than the poor man in the street who choses to spend his afternoon in a clean, watm environment and chat to like minded folks from all walks of life.

Edited by LadyG

2 minutes ago, LadyG said:

So what was all the talk further back in the read about your account and the money you spend and what the inside of a betting shop is like etc.

Monday.   "I also visit betting shops, and that is 'cos I used to work in the racing industry, nothiing to do with gambling."    So you just hang around in there and never use any money on bet or in a machine.

Tuesday.   "The staff are friendly, professional, and helpful,"   That sounds as if you know the staff better than if you were just hanging around a betting shop not betting.

Today         "I have an online account, I know exactly how much I have put in to that account in the last four years, and if I checked my own bank account I could find out how much I have taken out. This month I have taken out a hundred pounds and put in £15, I only know this 'cos it is unusual, to take out so much, my account is limited to a deposit of £25per month. "       When that is in the middle of a discussion on betting it doesn't suggest you are talking about your current account.

• Greenie 1

18 minutes ago, LadyG said:

>>People who have a personal pension fund are huge gamblers<<

That's a sweeping statement. Many of us have a good spread of investments to give the swings-and-roundabouts principle the best chance. The higher the possible gains, the greater the risk. No sensible gambler would bet more than they could afford to lose.

5 minutes ago, robtheplod said:

So, with Furlough now extended to March how many think the lockdown will end in December?

Never thought it would, it's here until next year ?

Edited by Loddon

5 minutes ago, robtheplod said:

So, with Furlough now extended to March how many think the lockdown will end in December?

I think the lockdown will end and be replaced by a more or less identical tier system. This will enable the furlough scheme to be scrapped as it will only be applied in a lockdown, and let a cheaper system be substituted. It's only been extended now because the South is in trouble.

• Greenie 2

19 minutes ago, Jerra said:

So what was all the talk further TV back in the read about your account and the money you spend and what the inside of a betting shop is like etc.

Monday.   "I also visit betting shops, and that is 'cos I used to work in the racing industry, nothiing to do with gambling."    So you just hang around in there and never use any money on bet or in a machine.

Tuesday.   "The staff are friendly, professional, and helpful,"   That sounds as if you know the staff better than if you were just hanging around a betting shop not betting.

Today         "I have an online account, I know exactly how much I have put in to that account in the last four years, and if I checked my own bank account I could find out how much I have taken out. This month I have taken out a hundred pounds and put in £15, I only know this 'cos it is unusual, to take out so much, my account is limited to a deposit of £25per month. "       When that is in the middle of a discussion on betting it doesn't suggest you are talking about your current account.

I have never ever put money in to a fotb, that is just plain stupid as long term one is playing a fruit machine, set up to take a fixed percentage of what you put in.

I read the trade paper (free to read, it costs £3.95 or somesuch In WH Smith's) I might buy a paper if there is something of particular interest, and I want to keep it for later reference.

I don't often have 'a bet' , tbst is to say a significant amount, which in my case would be more than £2.00, for one horse on one race. but I'd probably put on £1.50 on four horses running that afternoon, so I would be having a read of the paper, a free coffee, and a bit of banter, no one is going to query whether I bet or not.

Big horse racing gamblers would be set up at home, they would not visit a betting shop very often, certainly not if they wanted to put big money, succesfull professional punters are not really welcomed by the betting industry!

18 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

That's a sweeping statement. Many of us have a good spread of investments to give the swings-and-roundabouts principle the best chance. The higher the possible gains, the greater the risk. No sensible gambler would bet more than they could afford to lose.

I could not afford to lose the money Equitable Life took out of my pension fund.

I have a very small pension fund with 'the black widow', five years ago it would have paid out £75.0, notwithstanding Compound Interest those clever people have managed to get that down to £65 and I have no option but to accept that, I am not alowed to let it run.

Edited by LadyG

34 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

I think the lockdown will end and be replaced by a more or less identical tier system. This will enable the furlough scheme to be scrapped as it will only be applied in a lockdown, and let a cheaper system be substituted. It's only been extended now because the South is in trouble.

Good one Arthur, do you remember when Windscale was re-branded as Sellafield after the worst nuclear accident in the UK gave it a 'bad name', bet that re-branding put the CRT efforts in to a drop in the ocean. Not that the CRT have ever  knowingly let nuclear waste leak out of their canals to end up in the Solway Firth., and the North Atlantic.

I  lost the faith when I went to a conference, after it had been 'discovered' that sheep were radioactive due to a fire ten years earlier, the government spokesmane tried to persuade us that deer and grouse would not be contaminated, because the only nibbled at the young heather mmor shoots, not the old shoots which were known to be radio active!

26 minutes ago, Jerra said:

So you do gamble!   To not gamble you would have to be like me I have never had a bet or been inside  a betting shop.

You never bought a raffle ticket or put your money in a pension fund?

Most gambling does not take place in betting shops.

Edited by LadyG

51 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Good one Arthur, do you remember when Windscale was re-branded as Sellafield after the worst nuclear accident in the UK gave it a 'bad name', bet that re-branding put the CRT efforts in to a drop in the ocean. Not that the CRT have ever  knowingly let nuclear waste leak out of their canals to end up in the Solway Firth., and the North Atlantic.

I  lost the faith when I went to a conference, after it had been 'discovered' that sheep were radioactive due to a fire ten years earlier, the government spokesmane tried to persuade us that deer and grouse would not be contaminated, because the only nibbled at the young heather mmor shoots, not the old shoots which were known to be radio active!

Is buying a boat considered gambling?

Edited by Guest

51 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

There will be a relaxation over Christmas, but it will be for the sole purpose of boosting the Government's popularity. It will condemn us to months of further restrictions. 

Hopefully not, I hate Christmas, all that having to be nice to people you would really rather not be in the same room with.

There is always someone who gets drunk and makes a fool of themselves ( not me)

That and screaming kids...........

5 minutes ago, Alway Swilby said:

Who was it that suggested that this thread should be moved back to "General Boating"?

Apologies, I've just edited my last post to keep in line with the rules.

59 minutes ago, LadyG said:

They have had a few disasters at Windscale/sellafield, plus the wholearea got another dose when Chernobyl went up as well

5 hours ago, haggis said:

But, if there wasn't any horse racing then punters wouldn't buy a racehorse and perhaps abandon it!  I take issue with your statement that "there are plenty of places for ex race horses" unless you are meaning slaughter houses ?  Yes, unfortunately, animal cruelty goes on with other animals but other animals don't have a big organisation encouraging animal cruelty the way horse racing does,.

I think you are wearing your blinkers and only seeing what you want to see. 

haggis

No one, can justgo and 'buy a racehorse', if they think they are going to make money on owning a racehorse they will fall at the first hurdle.

If you want totest this, phone up a trainer and tell him your plan. 

3 minutes ago, peterboat said:

They have had a few disasters at Windscale/sellafield, plus the wholearea got another dose when Chernobyl went up as well

When the Chernoble incident happenned, scientists went out to test the area, they found that the whole area was contaminated nothing to do with Chernoble,, all to do with no control, they discharged zillions of gallons of radioactive stuff in to the North Sea, adding to the natural radiation in aea water, just a bit, just enough to cause cancer clusters in SW Scotland.

Edited by LadyG

5 minutes ago, peterboat said:

The site was known all over Cumberland and indeed on TV as Calder Hall until after the leak.    Then the name Windscale which was actually the correct name came to the for followed by Sellafield.

The Chernobyl incident was interesting as all the areas of concern because of "fall out" happened to around nuclear stations.   Cynical me never.   Sheep from west Cumbria were being checked and marked as not for human consumption for a lot of year afterwards.   The farce in the who agriculture issue was over at the edge of the restricted area, the area where sheep couldn't be sold ended atan unfenced road.   Of course the sheep knew this and never ever wandered from one side to the other.

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

The only raffle tickets I buy are the ones with cloakroom tickets in meetings (Such as the Penrith & District Red Squirrel group) and if I am ever lucky enough to win I refuse the prize considering the tickets as a donation as most people do.

Being a teacher no I have never put money into a pension fund other than what the government took off my pay to supposedly go into my pension pot.  That was a set percentage of the earnings.

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

I never said it did.  However you did say you don't gamble and then admitted you did.

5 minutes ago, Jerra said:

The site was known all over Cumberland and indeed on TV as Calder Hall until after the leak.    Then the name Windscale which was actually the correct name came to the for followed by Sellafield.

The Chernobyl incident was interesting as all the areas of concern because of "fall out" happened to around nuclear stations.   Cynical me never.   Sheep from west Cumbria were being checked and marked as not for human consumption for a lot of year afterwards.   The farce in the who agriculture issue was over at the edge of the restricted area, the area where sheep couldn't be sold ended atan unfenced road.   Of course the sheep knew this and never ever wandered from one side to the other.

So the farmers in North Wales should have blamed Trawsfynydd rather than Chernobyl then? Perhaps if the sheep wondered to far you could blame it on another power station... Sometimes checks do need to be made.

1 hour ago, Jerra said:

So what was all the talk further back in the read about your account and the money you spend and what the inside of a betting shop is like etc.

No, I have an online account with William hill, I am not obliged to use it, in fact I hedge my bets so much in order not to lose a significant amount of money, it is  a surprise if I win enough to keep my balance below £15.00

I put money in certain horses so that I can follow them, and it makes watching racing much mire interesting if your money is involved, I only bet on races where I think I have a readonable expectation of getting my money back sometime in the future, I am not thoical, because I have worked in racing, my interest is very broad, I would never be interested in owning a racehorse, unless for a particular reason., I don't want to go in to the Owners section, I am interested in other things.

I have only met one, very naieve owner who thought he was rich enough to be a sucessfull owner, obviously he lost all the money he put on his horses to win.

Edited by LadyG

4 minutes ago, StationMaster said:

So the farmers in North Wales should have blamed Trawsfynydd rather than Chernobyl then? Perhaps if the sheep wondered to far you could blame it on another power station... Sometimes checks do need to be made.

I don't know that farmers actually blamed Sellafield but it was very suspicious, particularly as the radiation readings plumed outwards towards the NE.   Hang on Chernobyl is to the east and the prevailing wind blows from the SW.

The point about the checks was that for all areas which had supposedly had fall out were given the all clear years before those round Sellafield.  We over here at the edge of the Lakes were given the all clear early not years later.   The checks consisted of regularly rounding up all sheep running a geiger counter over them and staining the head blue until the radiation fell below a certain level.

9 minutes ago, LadyG said:

t, in fact I hedge my bets 

How can you hedge your bets when you don't gamble?