Its August. its raining. Its very Windy.

Nightwatch

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

If I had said that bad word [a noun used as an  expletive] Athy would be down on  me like a tonne of bricks/feathers!

No, a ton. I'm British.

I can't see a bad word in your quotation anyway.

35 minutes ago, MartynG said:

The river levels info indicates about a metre of fresh on at Torksey today so I guess, in terms of depth over cill,  you can go any time providing  there is a lock keeper on duty.

I understand you have to pre-book Torksey lock at the moment  to be certain of a lock keeper being present?  

I know Cromwell has to be booked the day before - if no boats are expected there may be no lock keeper on duty.  Pre booking has always been a rule  for the tidal locks but has never really been necessary in practice for Torksey and Cromwell  until this year with Covid restrictions being given as the reason. 

Neil is on all day today. Which is irrelevant now as we can’t get to Torksey anyway 

20200829-110722.jpg

14 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

Must have been your good self that i dodged in to low hanging trees to pass. Just getting nearer to Morrisons for stuff one of us forgot the day before. Winded at the Tramway. We moored very near the Pig Place hopelessly waiting for the rain to stop and the bar to open. We are now at Somerton for the Weekend.

Yes I think it was. We will probably be passing you again tomorrow as we head back.  If the weather is a bit better I'll slow to say hello.

49 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Neil is on all day today. Which is irrelevant now as we can’t get to Torksey anyway 

20200829-110722.jpg

I had that yesterday coming up to Sheffield, contractors cut the tree down as I cruised up to it! Seems they forgot to tell the lock keepers about it! They dragged it out of the way with a tractor, another minute earlier might not have ended so well though. The whole of the flight has willows down and in the water making navigation interesting 

12 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

CRT are coming to clear it shortly. Neil is going to wait for us to let us out.

There is still hope for making it to the curry house at Dunham

We have heard good reports about it.

On 25/08/2020 at 15:33, Hudds Lad said:

He/She/It (delete as applicable) could have waited until our roofing was finished (one done, one half done and flapping alarmingly) ?...

The answer is She, specifically Alanis Morrissette is God. Have you not seen her in  the film Dogma?

However many Liverpool supporters would disagree with me, for them it's a man, Robbie Fowler.

2 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

Not clearing it until tomorrow now.

That's a pain for you!

A few days ago a convoy of 8 boats in an IWA cruise (to highlight Frodsham lock and the Runcorn proposed work) met a fallen tree just north of Saltesford tunnel. The guys dug out their saws and set off to do what they could to clear a passage and the guy on the boat coming south stripped off to his underpants, climbed into the canal and did some underwater sawing.  Between them they cleared enough space to let boats squeeze through and with so many trees down that day, the contractors hadn't got round to clearing it when we came back through the next day.  

With the high winds and trees still in leaf, I expect there will be a lot of trees/branches down. 

haggis

58 minutes ago, haggis said:

That's a pain for you!

A few days ago a convoy of 8 boats in an IWA cruise (to highlight Frodsham lock and the Runcorn proposed work) met a fallen tree just north of Saltesford tunnel. The guys dug out their saws and set off to do what they could to clear a passage and the guy on the boat coming south stripped off to his underpants, climbed into the canal and did some underwater sawing.  Between them they cleared enough space to let boats squeeze through and with so many trees down that day, the contractors hadn't got round to clearing it when we came back through the next day.  

With the high winds and trees still in leaf, I expect there will be a lot of trees/branches down. 

haggis

Sounds like the pioneering founders of the IWA ?

52 minutes ago, Peter X said:

The answer is She, specifically Alanis Morrissette is God. Have you not seen her in  the film Dogma?

However many Liverpool supporters would disagree with me, for them it's a man, Robbie Fowler.

i don’t personally believe in voices in the sky, but thought i’d try to cover all the bases for those that do ;)

but yes, i’ve seen Dogma

On 25/08/2020 at 16:37, MoominPapa said:

Choice: move now, or overnight in Stretford, Manchester. Are Manchester scroats waterproof?

MP.

As I think has been said, anyone who grew up in Manchester is going to be more or less waterproof. Anyone who's lived anywhere in the UK for some years learns how to cope with rain, so even though I'm from the relatively sunny south I manage OK. Having commuted to office jobs in the City etc. on and off for years, I of course possess the stereotype equipment, coats and umbrellas.

We had some rain this week here in Croydon, but nothing much. I think I once read that the part of the UK with the lowest average rainfall is the Essex and Kent coast along the Thames estuary, notably Canvey Island. So maybe the weather's even nicer there.

4 minutes ago, Peter X said:

As I think has been said, anyone who grew up in Manchester is going to be more or less waterproof. Anyone who's lived anywhere in the UK for some years learns how to cope with rain, so even though I'm from the relatively sunny south I manage OK. Having commuted to office jobs in the City etc. on and off for years, I of course possess the stereotype equipment, coats and umbrellas.

We had some rain this week here in Croydon, but nothing much. I think I once read that the part of the UK with the lowest average rainfall is the Essex and Kent coast along the Thames estuary, notably Canvey Island. So maybe the weather's even nicer there.

I thought Norfolk had the most sun hours and sun days in the UK? Of course it could rain on all the days it's not sunny ?

6 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

Dukes Cut has long term issues. Willows half down, leaning over the navigation.

Is that the responsibility of EA or CRT?

That's a sort of interesting but off topic academic question I think... No doubt tree monkey would be right about the legal responsibility for any fallen tree resting with its landowner, he'll know about that.

But who are the navigation authority for Dukes Cut? I've been along it quite often but I'm not sure. My guess is that the lock was built by the Oxford Canal company and later passed via BWB to CRT, and that most of the channel from there to the main river is part of the Thames and therefore comes under EA. After all, there are two weir streams running off from Duke's Cut which each end up going back into the river downstream of King's Lock; EA would manage those.

25 minutes ago, Peter X said:

That's a sort of interesting but off topic academic question I think... No doubt tree monkey would be right about the legal responsibility for any fallen tree resting with its landowner, he'll know about that.

But who are the navigation authority for Dukes Cut? I've been along it quite often but I'm not sure. My guess is that the lock was built by the Oxford Canal company and later passed via BWB to CRT, and that most of the channel from there to the main river is part of the Thames and therefore comes under EA. After all, there are two weir streams running off from Duke's Cut which each end up going back into the river downstream of King's Lock; EA would manage those.

It actually gets a bit odd once the tree is down, if a tree falls on a highway it's the highway authority's responsibility to ensure the highway is open, so generally they will clear it, if the tree is an immediate danger to safe passage the HA can act and remove a hazard from private land before an actual failure, if theres an obvious but not immediate hazard they can order the landowner to act.

I doubt navigation authority's have such sweeping powers beyond the normal removing overhang from their property but they do act to maintain navigation 

Edited by tree monkey

55 minutes ago, Peter X said:

It's listed on the CRT reference map as OD-001, so I'd say it's CRT waters, even if they aren't sure.

https://canalrivertrust.maps.arcgis.com/apps/MapTools/index.html?appid=b46e3e0bda4a44a0be267df7674139a5

We just need someone to moor up on it for a few months and see what happens ...

:giggles: