The answer to mooring against soft ground ?

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

Maybe these could be the solution & will help anyone having difficulty mooring so that passing boats don't pull out their pins :

If it is strong enough to hold Marquees and Scaffolding a couple of them should hold a NB

https://leachs.net/hurricane-scaffold-ground-anchor?gclid=CjwKCAjwsO_4BRBBEiwAyagRTYcyxwUC-Dw8-UTWYDZiELcnszh9v3xMjJuGA7_RRr172EbXTqfEnxoCAiUQAvD_BwE

1_10_26_1_2.jpg

• Greenie 1

16 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Problem is if it does pull out it will take a substantial part of the bank with it.

Would need to be done well away from the edge.

Isn't that what one normally does ?

If you stick your pins in within 6" of the edge its no wonder people complain about pulled pins. I'd always put pins in at least 2 feet back from the edge.

14 minutes ago, Onewheeler said:

2020-07-25 11.56.05.jpg

Like anything, if it is not used correctly it will not work as designed, leaving it stuck above ground means that the 'weak core' is all that is holding it and it will bend.

The problem with these is that they are good in solid, virgin ground but most towpaths have a gravelly top layer over compacted material. Unless you excavate down to the solid stuff the top section will always be liable to bend. That bent one was in up to the hilt.

Edited by Onewheeler

2 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Maybe these could be the solution & will help anyone having difficulty mooring so that passing boats don't pull out their pins :

If it is strong enough to hold Marquees and Scaffolding a couple of them should hold a NB

https://leachs.net/hurricane-scaffold-ground-anchor?gclid=CjwKCAjwsO_4BRBBEiwAyagRTYcyxwUC-Dw8-UTWYDZiELcnszh9v3xMjJuGA7_RRr172EbXTqfEnxoCAiUQAvD_BwE

1_10_26_1_2.jpg

With that length, might you not risk  drilling into electric and fibre optic phone cables that abound in towpaths these days ? 

7 minutes ago, Flyboy said:

With that length, might you not risk  drilling into electric and fibre optic phone cables that abound in towpaths these days ? 

It would;d also be interesting to hear CRT's view of using these. Maybe a great idea as a one off but if they became popular I think they could  weaken the towpath especially at popular mooring spots. .

Howard

16 minutes ago, Flyboy said:

From my telecom experience I seem to remember where possible the telecommunication fibre duct routes and contained cables were laid at the back of tow paths.

Does not mean they all were, however.

Edited by Ray T

13 minutes ago, Onewheeler said:

The problem with these is that they are good in solid, virgin ground but most towpaths have a gravelly top layer over compacted material. Unless you excavate down to the solid stuff the top section will always be liable to bend. That bent one was in up to the hilt.

Agreed! Even the petrol powered hole borers can have trouble on broken ground. Winding these things in by hand and then hitting  stones or other solid material would be a pain.

A straight pin does the job most of the time, these things are a bit overkill for this job, I had previously considered that something along the lines of the posts used in WW1 for supporting barbed wire entanglements would be a good middle ground option.  Made by their millions out of steel rod with a corkscrew end they were simple and cheap to produce. They have the merit with a point on the tip that they will be more likely to push aside hard obstructions and are less likely to damage the towpath.

It also occurs to me that something of the sort might already be made for supporting electric fencing but then I am no farmer.

image.png.6e45a356ea9bf84e5ea847f44a6230d6.png

These work for us and you can connect two together for extra security, they hammer in and screw out (if you will pardon the expression) you do need some sort of cap to minimise damage to the head from the hammering

• Greenie 1

I've been towing this bad boy for the past few years. 

Never had one come out from passing boats yet. Never had one come out when trying to leave the mooring either. 

pile driving machine.jpg

2 hours ago, Ray T said:

From my telecom experience I seem to remember where possible the telecommunication fibre duct routes and contained cables were laid at the back of tow paths.

Does not mean they all were, however.

This is the important bit, never trust either the recommend depth, utility maps or those little concrete warning signs, remember it's muppets with shovels who dig the trenches and once buried no one checks :)

8 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

This is the important bit, never trust either the recommend depth, utility maps or those little concrete warning signs, remember it's muppets with shovels who dig the trenches and once buried no one checks :)

That's a terrible thing to say about @Dr Bob

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Phoenix_V said:

image.png.6e45a356ea9bf84e5ea847f44a6230d6.png

These work for us and you can connect two together for extra security, they hammer in and screw out (if you will pardon the expression) you do need some sort of cap to minimise damage to the head from the hammering

Yes, I've wondered about them. Might get a couple to try out on our 35 T boat, or the NB for when Salters Steamers go past at ever so many km/h.

52 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

And an indication of national characteristics. We had a guy do some work for us a few years ago who had done street works all over Europe he reckoned that the german pipes and cables were always where the plan said, the English might or might not be and in Spain bore no relationship whatsoever even if there was a plan.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, tree monkey said:

In my career I witnessed sub contractors laying duct routes at 300mm where it should have been 600mm. Then trying to claim the deeper depth for payment.

At one time BT had "works supervisors" who made sure the duct was laid to spec, but like banks men on the cut some "bean counters" in their infinite wisdom, deemed them un necessary. The contractors would "do a quality job and be self policing." Yes right.

I'm glad I am now retired.

Edited by Ray T

22 minutes ago, Ray T said:

In my career I witnessed sub contractors laying duct routes at 300mm where it should have been 600mm. Then trying to claim the deeper depth for payment.

At one time BT had "works supervisors" who made sure the duct was laid to spec, but like banks men on the cut some "bean counters" in their infinite wisdom, deemed them un necessary. The contractors would "do a quality job and be self policing." Yes right.

I'm glad I am now retired.

Yup, doing a bit of turf laying on a new build site, as I was rotating the front, I had a chap suggest I avoid a particular spot because he had "heard" an LV service was a bit shallow.

1 hour ago, Phoenix_V said:

And an indication of national characteristics. We had a guy do some work for us a few years ago who had done street works all over Europe he reckoned that the german pipes and cables were always where the plan said, the English might or might not be and in Spain bore no relationship whatsoever even if there was a plan.

Let's be honest, service plans are a very rough guide or maybe a suggestion that "yes there is something in the area somewhere"

5 hours ago, howardang said:

It would;d also be interesting to hear CRT's view of using these. Maybe a great idea as a one off but if they became popular I think they could  weaken the towpath especially at popular mooring spots. .

Howard

I saw a CRT or maybe BWB boat that had used them, it had extracted a nice core of soil when it pulled out.

6 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Isn't that what one normally does ?

If you stick your pins in within 6" of the edge its no wonder people complain about pulled pins. I'd always put pins in at least 2 feet back from the edge.

Like anything, if it is not used correctly it will not work as designed, leaving it stuck above ground means that the 'weak core' is all that is holding it and it will bend.

How else will you stop the cyclists?