fishing when on your boat permits

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

Where are you going to fish, anglers on the canal use a rod. 

Most organised trips will provide the basics. 

As far as I can tell, Okara is in Pakistan... I'm not sure we are qualified to advise, though I did read "Salmon Fishing in the Yemen" a while back.

Technically: EA licence required along with the permission of the controlling body. 

In practical terms: Very unlikely to ever meet an EA licence checker on a canal bank. Possible exception if you're on the end of a match. The controlling bodies, very very few exceptions, do not check that those fishing have permission. Even if they do, they can't fine you if you don't have permission (EA can, and will).

The practical solution: down to the individual. Personally I bought an EA licence and fished where I liked for 7 years without seeing either an EA bailiff, or one from the controlling club. 

1 hour ago, Hudds Lad said:

Technically an EA permit AND a CRT Waterway Wanderer fishing  permit

although i don't know why we're all replying to an obvious bot post :D 

Technically that's okay as long as fishing rights aren't owned by somebody else. On the L&L near me the rights are owned by a Wigan anglers association. There are some organised matches but I see quite a lot of individuals fishing who probably don't have or know they need a permit. They also dont all know the angling association rules, one if which prohibits spinning with lures opposite boats  

Edited by Ianws

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/03/2022 at 16:35, alexgreen1943 said:

Hello guys, I am interested in fishing but I have no experience of it. I'm going on a trip with the Okara school, and fishing is part of the trip. Could you let me know some tips for fishing? I also need to know what fishing items I need.  

This was a great and enjoyable trip. Thanks for your given tips because it was very helpful for fishing.

• 1 month later...

In Australia, we have a fishing boat license in case we want to manage the boat specifically for commercial fishing. It came to my knowledge from a source to write any paper that an additional ALC can be installed in the boat and has to be regularly tested in accordance with approved directions. This approval means that every person who is fishing on this boat should carry his/her own commercial fishing license unless that person is a participant in a fishing tour on the boat. Also, there is a recreational fishing license for the purpose of managing the State’s fish resources effectively. The money generated is then reinvested in the initiatives benefiting recreational fishing in WA.

• 1 month later...

Or…you could do what I have done. Decide not to fish at all. I either sit on the boat or a nice comfortable chair on the bank and relax with my chilled lime cordial. No additional licences required. No fish or animals were harmed during the making of the above statement.

• Greenie 1

6 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

Or…you could do what I have done. Decide not to fish at all. I either sit on the boat or a nice comfortable chair on the bank and relax with my chilled lime cordial. No additional licences required. No fish or animals were harmed during the making of the above statement.

Completely agree with this except for the choice of beverage... 🤣😂

• Happy 1

On 03/07/2020 at 00:39, wildbill said:

I take it that's a yes i will have to buy one then cant be bothered searching through the Webb site 

bill

That's an odd attitude for someone asking a question.  Why should anyone bother to advise then?

On 20/01/2022 at 21:32, Hudds Lad said:

As i understand it, you need the gov rod licence AND either a relevant permit if it’s club waters OR the CRT Waterway Wanderers permit for any other bit of canal.

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/fishing/places-to-fish/where-can-i-fish-for-free

Isn't this a relatively new idea for CRT to raise another  couple of bob, lets face it CRT spend a lot of money of fish stock, moving etc.

• 1 year later...
On 22/03/2022 at 20:46, The Welsh Cruiser said:

It's fine saying "not much chance of getting caught by an EA guy" but trust me anglers themselves police the waterways, and anyone seen is on club waters or out without obvious fish welfare gear they will get  reported to the hotline, and the EA guys are pretty good at getting involved.

Bit like "operation snap" on the roads where Police act on video evidence..I probably rang in 20 crimes last year, everything from long lines to obvious fish killing / cooking bankside.

You need a UK fishing licence, plus if moored permission / permit from the controlling syndicate / club on that stretch if not a EA "free" stretch, this is on the CRT website guidelines.

Also it's just plain good manners as clubs spend thousands of pounds and hours maintaining their stretches, so if you are moored up you will have issues if the wrong guy comes along.

Trolling from a moving boat is another issue, I do this on BAA stretches on the Severn midstream but not if guys are on the banks.

(I have been fishing for 55 years and own a fishing boat which I use on the Severn / Avon / Thames) and am a member of, or have fished by short term licence or day ticket dozens orf rivers and lakes.

That said when out on the boat you see allsorts of folks having a dabble from moored cruisers, sometimes with nippers, probably blissfully unaware of the potential huge penalties.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/six-anglers-catch-six-fines-for-fishing-without-a-licence

It's not much money and no hassle to be legal, compared to the cost of a boat / licence / insurance / BSC etc. etc.

Or if you are doing it and have been getting a away with it then good luck, but don't moan when the inivitable happens.

1 hour ago, Uptonlaunch said:

It's fine saying "not much chance of getting caught by an EA guy" but trust me anglers themselves police the waterways, and anyone seen is on club waters or out without obvious fish welfare gear they will get  reported to the hotline, and the EA guys are pretty good at getting involved.

Bit like "operation snap" on the roads where Police act on video evidence..I probably rang in 20 crimes last year, everything from long lines to obvious fish killing / cooking bankside.

You need a UK fishing licence, plus if moored permission / permit from the controlling syndicate / club on that stretch if not a EA "free" stretch, this is on the CRT website guidelines.

Also it's just plain good manners as clubs spend thousands of pounds and hours maintaining their stretches, so if you are moored up you will have issues if the wrong guy comes along.

Trolling from a moving boat is another issue, I do this on BAA stretches on the Severn midstream but not if guys are on the banks.

(I have been fishing for 55 years and own a fishing boat which I use on the Severn / Avon / Thames) and am a member of, or have fished by short term licence or day ticket dozens orf rivers and lakes.

That said when out on the boat you see allsorts of folks having a dabble from moored cruisers, sometimes with nippers, probably blissfully unaware of the potential huge penalties.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/six-anglers-catch-six-fines-for-fishing-without-a-licence

It's not much money and no hassle to be legal, compared to the cost of a boat / licence / insurance / BSC etc. etc.

Or if you are doing it and have been getting a away with it then good luck, but don't moan when the inivitable happens.

I am on your side here but surely the EA should be policing this and not you ?

However keeping and  eating fish is not illegal (subject to certain rules). No that I would be very keen on eating fish from most rivers in England.

image.png.8f4c8ac555784b20299719ce375e265c.png

Edited by MartynG

On 24/06/2023 at 20:57, MartynG said:

I am on your side here but surely the EA should be policing this and not you ?

However keeping and  eating fish is not illegal (subject to certain rules). No that I would be very keen on eating fish from most rivers in England.

image.png.8f4c8ac555784b20299719ce375e265c.png

That may be the law, but in reality the vast majority of fisheries are strict catch and release straight back with no removel, the vast majority of anglers do not take even if "able" to.

In many fisheries you cannot use barbed hooks, braided line, you cannot use keep nets even, and welfare equipment is mandatory (certain sizes and types of mesh size and weave, unhooking padded mats to protect the fish, disgorgers, hook cutters etc. etc.

A few match anglers may misguidedly kill Pike, some folks use small fish for bait (live and dead) for larger predators, but in general the fish stocks are preserved and carefully looked after, even though you technically are able to take coarse fish.

The Graying is a notable exception as good eating like a game fish (Trout and Salmon) so like the game fish has a "bag limit" as stated..........and Zander in some waters have to be killed as are classed as an invasive species.

As for "up to me to uphold the law", I dont think casual so called "fishermen" realise the epidemic scale and cost of the huge amount of crime and poaching going on this country, fisheries loosing £10,000's of mature stock, and illegal taking and killling of stuff, surely any observant boat user must have seen the signs now festooning every waterway?

If a person does not have basic fish welfare equipment, they have no right to be fishing, as obviously have no idea of the damage they are doing, small childeren etc. can be forgiven and educated, but any adult at the waterside with just a rod and bait needs to sort themselves out,get to any proper tackle shop and ask what they should be doing.

As put.....I regularly see folks say on a steep bank of the Severn or Teme with just a G0-Outdoors cheapo combo kit and carrier bag, no landing net or any way of getting the fish if hooked to them without dragging it up the bank, at Worcester once I saw guys landing fish onto a concrete jetty, and just picking them up with dry hands, and chucking them back.

You regularly see halfwits using lures with no trace wire, so whatever they are after, if a Pike takes the lure it will often bite through the line and suffer a miserable death with a mouth full of hooks, last season caught 6 Pike with hooks left in them because folk did not have the kit or ability to safely deal with possibly a "suprise" catch, you have to be prepared for any eventuality, even in canals.

On my annual narrowboat hols often see folks dabbling again with some cheap tack doing some "fishing", saw some in Bradford this year, asked what they were after "dunno mate just passing some time".....as I was on the bank I could see they just had rods and nothing else, not even a damp towel / landing net, If they had hooked a decent Bream they would not have been able to get it in the boat without damage to it's mouth for sure.

Most fishermen are heartily sick of seeing this behavior, but like all things in our modern World, it's a risky job confronting some of the suspects, a guy near Worcester got a screwdriver in his chest a couple of years ago for the crime of asking to see a day ticket.

Anyhow as I put, as a licence holder and club member, you are constantly told to report any crimes you see, and all anglers do this at every oppertunity.

https://linesonthewater.anglingtrust.net/2022/09/20/illegal-fishing-and-how-to-report-it/

https://www.wvca.co.uk/environment_pages_illegal_fishing

https://www.facebook.com/environmentagency/photos/a.472442893025/10152840194208026/?paipv=0&eav=AfZOzbJ-hy53mmYb3sv1nTczLsqMdFf92WVBTE1li2UzwHWSkm4zC9HBxHMq-m0LkcA&_rdr

http://www.blackcountryfishing.co.uk/angling-news/illegal-fishing-and-how-to-report-it

Every fishing club or association has similar links, it is taken very seriously.

Edited by Uptonlaunch

2 hours ago, Uptonlaunch said:

That may be the law, but in reality the vast majority of fisheries are strict catch and release straight back with no removel, the vast majority of anglers do not take even if "able" to.

In many fisheries you cannot use barbed hooks, braided line, you cannot use keep nets even, and welfare equipment is mandatory (certain sizes and types of mesh size and weave, unhooking padded mats to protect the fish, disgorgers, hook cutters etc. etc.

A few match anglers may misguidedly kill Pike, some folks use small fish for bait (live and dead) for larger predators, but in general the fish stocks are preserved and carefully looked after, even though you technically are able to take coarse fish.

The Graying is a notable exception as good eating like a game fish (Trout and Salmon) so like the game fish has a "bag limit" as stated..........and Zander in some waters have to be killed as are classed as an invasive species.

As for "up to me to uphold the law", I dont think casual so called "fishermen" realise the epidemic scale and cost of the huge amount of crime and poaching going on this country, fisheries loosing £10,000's of mature stock, and illegal taking and killling of stuff, surely any observant boat user must have seen the signs now festooning every waterway?

If a person does not have basic fish welfare equipment, they have no right to be fishing, as obviously have no idea of the damage they are doing, small childeren etc. can be forgiven and educated, but any adult at the waterside with just a rod and bait needs to sort themselves out,get to any proper tackle shop and ask what they should be doing.

As put.....I regularly see folks say on a steep bank of the Severn or Teme with just a G0-Outdoors cheapo combo kit and carrier bag, no landing net or any way of getting the fish if hooked to them without dragging it up the bank, at Worcester once I saw guys landing fish onto a concrete jetty, and just picking them up with dry hands, and chucking them back.

You regularly see halfwits using lures with no trace wire, so whatever they are after, if a Pike takes the lure it will often bite through the line and suffer a miserable death with a mouth full of hooks, last season caught 6 Pike with hooks left in them because folk did not have the kit or ability to safely deal with possibly a "suprise" catch, you have to be prepared for any eventuality, even in canals.

On my annual narrowboat hols often see folks dabbling again with some cheap tack doing some "fishing", saw some in Bradford this year, asked what they were after "dunno mate just passing some time".....as I was on the bank I could see they just had rods and nothing else, not even a damp towel / landing net, If they had hooked a decent Bream they would not have been able to get it in the boat without damage to it's mouth for sure.

Most fishermen are heartily sick of seeing this behavior, but like all things in our modern World, it's a risky job confronting some of the suspects, a guy near Worcester got a screwdriver in his chest a couple of years ago for the crime of asking to see a day ticket.

Anyhow as I put, as a licence holder and club member, you are constantly told to report any crimes you see, and all anglers do this at every oppertunity.

it would be best overall if cruel and unacceptable torture of fish also known as coarse fishing or angling was prohibited.

You don't mention the debris that the fishist leaves behind. Swan and other wildlife with part swallowed fishing line are sometimes seen. My daughters dog got caught up in fishing line not so long ago resulting in a hook disappearing  under the dogs  skin requiring an x ray and removal of the hook under anaesthetic by a vet.

On 20/01/2022 at 19:12, jamie preston said:

i believe you can fish from the boat without a permit for club waters as they own the fishing rights from the bank/towpath

No - the rights are to the waters not to the bank you are fishing from. Conversely if there were non-CRT waters the other side of the bank you would need a separate permit for those even though you would be on  CRT towpath 

9 hours ago, MartynG said:

it would be best overall if cruel and unacceptable torture of fish also known as coarse fishing or angling was prohibited.

You don't mention the debris that the fishist leaves behind. Swan and other wildlife with part swallowed fishing line are sometimes seen. My daughters dog got caught up in fishing line not so long ago resulting in a hook disappearing  under the dogs  skin requiring an x ray and removal of the hook under anaesthetic by a vet.

To be fair you could say "boatists" chugging about in a twin cat engined diesel cruiser for fun, or using an outboard (especially two stroke) leaving a film of oil on the water, or petrol hydrocarbons through the 4 stroke types prop exhaust, plus pumping out soapy water from onboard services, anti fouls full of chemicals leaching out if the soft river type and all the other stuff plastic and narrow boats do should be banned, I bet if a  just stop oil type saw the average marina basin shimmering slick and took a surface water sample a case could be made.

If I mention I have a boat (despite being a 1999-2000 era  tiddler runabout now worth about 3K), you should hear some of the comments, people think you are Lord Snooty and gad about in Hellies on your 60ft Broome, I usually then say it's smaller than their estate car and I am not one of the "Birmingham Navy" as the large, middle of the river hogging, sterndrive dredger set are nicknamed in the South of Worcester area.

That's before the anti social behavour and trail of debris left by hire boats, damage to locks , bridges, injuries to people, damage to bank environments and habitats by excessive speed, people tipping out human waste and all sorts.

As you will know,  the above and more bad stuff happens, the latter really off stuff by a minority for sure, but that's the trouble when you start to talk about banning stuff because of a personal dislike, it is easy to overlook and ignore the fact that something you do yourself is disliked by other people for what ever reason!

In fact a quite reasonable sounding case (to a non waterways user) could be made as to why folks should not own boats for "fun", as indeed could almost every pastime you can imagine that folks do in the UK, especially any sport or outdoors pastime it seems.

"Diesel"!........why all these boats should be electric"......."What's that you say.......those rich buggers can use red diesel"!!............

"Have you seen the K+A near Bath, looks like the hippie convoy full of druggies".....etc. etc.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-suffolk-65177683

Conflict from folks who live near canals sick of gennies and woodburners etc.

“The people living on the boats have little regard for the places they have moored alongside. There is a group of anti-social boat-dwellers who believe they can pursue alternative lifestyles without any regard for the impact their presence has on residents by creating noise and smoke nuisance.

I have even heard folk on the Sharpness who were walking their dogs moaning about stuff on "the path" where someone was working on their boat, a lot of non boaters would be quite happy never to see a mooring peg or group of picnic chairs on a bank ever again (we have cycled and walked towpaths from Brum to Sharpness lock, and the Thames into Lodon in the past, so see and hear all aspects of various users).

The irony that there would be no made up way and neat path if not for the boats was lost on these folk, but that's the thing, again folks are just interested in their own thing and usually uneducated about other folks lives.

As with angling you could then rightfully retort about the millions in income, the positive side to the health and well being of folks doing outside stuff, youngsters not doing bad things as involved, few bad eggs blah blah blah.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/recreational-angling-puts-14bn-into-english-economy

Sorry about your hook experience, in the vast majority of cases again proper anglers will take away any rubbish they find in swims or bankside, I always have a spare container for sharps / line and a bag for rubbish.

Most club stretches are immaculate but the neds (in all walks of life) don't care and will leave all sorts. that's the problem with a cheap accessable hobby, anyone can spend £20 and go "fishing", wheras a match rod as used by a serious club angler can cost £3000-£5000! yes really, for one rod! (not for me I hasten, but a serious carp or match guy can have 10-15K's worth of kit easily and spend another fortune on sydicated specialist waters access, that's not to say expensive kit always means good behaviour, as with cars and boats some of the most arrogant and aggressive types have very expensive kit.

Talking about hooks, just south of Gloucester I once even removed a portable BBQ and remains of a carp plus beer cans etc. and long line pegs etc. where folk had been poaching, the latter often snaring water fowl.

And just a couple of weeks ago whilst walking the Teme near Worcester had to go back to the car to get a bag when I found the stuff below.

We had passed a group of well spoken youngsters who had been swimming earlier, no doubt they were the culprits, but at least they were not in the water.

ATB, Ed

teme mess.jpg

Edited by Uptonlaunch
  • Greenie 1

10 hours ago, MartynG said:

I don't know what you like to do in your spare time. It's not my business. Providing that you don't harm someone else with what you do it will remain, not my business. I probably wouldn't understand why you enjoy doing what you like to do. That's no reason for me to try to prevent you from carrying this out. Just because I don't understand why you enjoy it, or take offence at my own interpretation of why you might enjoy it. This offence leading to language such as "torture".

Angling can be a pastime, a competitive sport, a social event or a hobby. Or it can be an obsession, the most important thing in someone's life. It can enable spending time in beautiful quiet places, with a purpose. An opportunity to contemplate. A lifetime of angling is insufficient to provide a full knowledge of the habits of fish. There is always a surprise around the corner. Other wild animals, too. It can provide those with mental health difficulties to broaden their perspectives and experience new things. It can enable disabled people, whose access to most sports/ pastimes is severely limited, to lead fuller lives.

If you really want to see "torture" you should concentrate on the commercial fishing industry. Millions of fish either crushed to death under the weight of the colleagues or starved of oxygen. It's very rarely quick. I once saw a conger eel, caught 2 days previously, still alive as it met the gutting knife. Perhaps you don't eat fish?

Those fishing for the pot usually kill what they catch with a swift blow to the head. The culture in Britain is to return coarse fish. Some are recognisable. Some carp for example. They are caught several times over their lifes. Sometimes many times. How great is this cruelty, compared to being crushed to death or effectively drowned?

Do we really want to ban this, deny the millions of people who gain pleasure from angling and sometimes, the meaning for their life? Do we wish to deny the benefits it can offer to those with mental and physical difficulties? For what, because those who don't understand why those who enjoy it do so, think it's cruel?    

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

On 28/06/2023 at 08:48, The Welsh Cruiser said:

If you really want to see "torture" you should concentrate on the commercial fishing industry. 

Yup, seeing the purse seine netting of mackerel or watching salmon farming documentaries should put anyone off spending money at the fish counter! 

Frankly, I think keeping dogs should be banned because of the issues of fecal pollution, noise pollution, carbon footprint implications (haha), and causing fear of physical harm. But I don't run the world so my opinion is worth diddly squat.