Boat stuck on sunken boat, Sunbury

Dave123

Featured Posts

Multiple closures on the Thames at the moment, including 2 locks apparently vandalised by a boater wanting passage. But saw this image on Facebook of a boat that had to be rescued by the fire brigade after becoming stuck on the sunken widebeam above Sunbury Lock! Words fail me. What they were doing there is anyone's guess!?

FB_IMG_1588786509094.jpg

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, RichM said:

Out of interest and slightly unrelated - does anyone know what sort of cruiser that is? Once I sell my narrowboat I hope to get a boat like that at some point. 

Broom 29 sedan?

Hard to tell from the pic. though.

Almost certainly a Broom of some description.

4 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Princess 30 DS (Sedan) would be my guess.

You could be correct, looking again at the side cabin window configuration it doesnt fully match a Broom 29.

58 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

You could be correct, looking again at the side cabin window configuration it doesnt fully match a Broom 29.

Definitely not a Broom 29/Haines 29. We hired one of the Broom 29's. Hideous creation that it was!

It's called Mallard Princess according to a thread on YBW Thames forum.

C1A0CFB4-A725-4C00-A1CE-AC9FA5A62337.jpeg

EA Thames have done as much as they can to discourage use of the River by forcing people to hand wind the locks (turning off the 'leccy) and shutting down the pump outs / rubbish disposal. AFAIK sensible boaters have heded the request (EA can't stop you navigating because of the PRN - but they sure as hell can make it unpleasant to use).  It is  said some pillock rammed the upstream gate at Abingdon and broke the access platform. Mebe the same idiot caused some damage to Sandford. That's a large deep and solid lock that's difficult to damage IMHO.

17 minutes ago, Mad Harold said:

Why isn't the sunken boat marked with buoys?

With light reflected on the water,it would be difficult to spot.

Isn't that an orange buoy on the starboard side of the gin palace ?

NC beat me to it.

Edited by Flyboy

16 hours ago, Tonka said:

is that the wide beam that pulled off of Sunbury Weir a couple of weeks ago. Think there is a thread about it on here somewhere with photo's

Looks like it.

10 minutes ago, Flyboy said:

Isn't that an orange buoy on the starboard side of the gin palace ?

NC beat me to it.

Ah,right,didn't spot that.

It would seem that the skipper of the cruiser didn't either.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

It is. The big orange thing!!

Thats what I thought, maybe there should have been one at each end, how much clearance do you give a buoy on a river, 60 feet?

Edited by ditchcrawler

4 minutes ago, Mad Harold said:

Well to be fair I wonder about the wisdom of placing the buoy at just one end of a very long underwater obstruction. Maybe the skipper assumed he/she would be clear??

Another placed at the other end might have been useful IMHO.

edit - cross posted with Ditchcrawler

Edited by The Happy Nomad

26 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Well to be fair I wonder about the wisdom of placing the buoy at just one end of a very long underwater obstruction. Maybe the skipper assumed he/she would be clear??

Another placed at the other end might have been useful IMHO.

Not sure placing a bouy on a boat is high priority when the river was still in flood on the day it was pulled off the wier and then lockdown happened.

Regardless of all the chit chat / boaters concern, the testo-di-catso should NOT have been out boating when  requested (that's all EA can do)  not to do so. (He must have been going at quite a speed to get caught amidships...) Aha - there's a quite pleasant pub just a few yards down that lock cut.......

1 hour ago, matty40s said:

Not sure placing a bouy on a boat is high priority when the river was still in flood on the day it was pulled off the wier and then lockdown happened.

Well if they managed one maybe they could have stretched to two.

10 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Well if they managed one maybe they could have stretched to two.

They probably attached the one to the towrope end they pulled it off with.

FB_IMG_1583510876929.jpg.68fbbf5c88bc84032dc449038d59c680.jpg

Edited by matty40s

4 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Thats what I thought, maybe there should have been one at each end, how much clearance do you give a buoy on a river, 60 feet?

Difficult to tell from the photo, but it looks to me like there is a buoy attached to the nearer end ,(bow, I think),  of the sunken boat, but under water and so not visible from a boat..

20 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Or a 3/4 in a row to suggest something really wasn't quite right !!

22 hours ago, Mad Harold said:

it looks to me like he was keeping to starboard and keeping about 5m clear of the buoy marking the obstruction. 

There's me thinking there is a recognised buoyage system to mark wrecks. If the EA can't lay their hands on a suitably shaped/coloured/marked buoy they should have at least marked both ends of the hazard. Anyway its probably end of little consequence, would the gin palace owner know what a wreck or even a middle ground buoy looks like?