Lockdown ? What Lockdown?

Momac

Featured Posts

Just now, George and Dragon said:

Since the brexit vote (specifically G Osborne's claim that the bottom would drop out of the housing market) I've made a number of offers on properties at 70% of asking price :). It may be that Covid-19 does what brexit didn't. 

Yeah, they didnt budge an inch with Brexit but may drop with covid? I hope they do, property is a ridiculous price and beyond the scope of many working youngsters these days.

1 minute ago, ditchcrawler said:

They are not coming into your oat are they

Not yet Brian

Just now, George and Dragon said:

Since the brexit vote (specifically G Osborne's claim that the bottom would drop out of the housing market) I've made a number of offers on properties at 70% of asking price :). It may be that Covid-19 does what brexit didn't. 

Talking to a bloke who has recently suffered a marriage breakdown and he assures me that " cheeky offers " are indeed out there . He was on at 220k then reduced it down to 200k before encountering a Spaniard on his doorstep who claimed to have seen the For Sale sign and felt obliged to offer 175k ☹️

2 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Yeah, they didnt budge an inch with Brexit but may drop with covid? I hope they do, property is a ridiculous price and beyond the scope of many working youngsters these days.

I was reading that 80,000 Private Landlords are facing financial ruin owing to Tenants not paying rent , will their plight arouse much sympathy ? ?

25 minutes ago, Parahandy said:

Thanks Sir Nibble I wasn't aware of this .

Confirmation.

What do I do when people pass my boat when I’m moored on the towpath and I’m trying to keep a safe distance?

We are acutely aware of liveaboard boaters’ anxieties at the present time. If you remain in your boat when you see people approaching then you should be able to socially distance from anyone passing on the towpath. In some places, for example in the heart of towns and cities, where local people live in flats or have no gardens for outdoor exercise, even with current restrictions there will be more people around. If you find it intolerably busy where you are moored then it may be better for you to try mooring further along. Please under no circumstances confront others.

From here.

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/safety-on-our-waterways/coronavirus/coronavirus-and-boating-faqs

49 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Confirmation.

What do I do when people pass my boat when I’m moored on the towpath and I’m trying to keep a safe distance?

We are acutely aware of liveaboard boaters’ anxieties at the present time. If you remain in your boat when you see people approaching then you should be able to socially distance from anyone passing on the towpath. In some places, for example in the heart of towns and cities, where local people live in flats or have no gardens for outdoor exercise, even with current restrictions there will be more people around. If you find it intolerably busy where you are moored then it may be better for you to try mooring further along. Please under no circumstances confront others.

From here.

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/safety-on-our-waterways/coronavirus/coronavirus-and-boating-faqs

Unless you are living in an open boat, I would have thought tne hull and closed windows on the towpath side would have offered protection against those on the towpath.

• Greenie 1

43 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

If they are buy to let as a nailed on way to make money at the expense of others then no sympathy from myself. Its a whole bag of worms but homes should be to live in and not to make money but we are all stuck with the lousy system that we have.

Unless vacant for some reason, I think you will find every single "buy to let" property is a home that is lived in.... how could it be anything other than that?

There have been rental properties since time began, (you know what I mean!!), and there are many people who don't even want to consider owning their own home. Are you suggesting that there shouldn't be a private rental market?

You, for example, choose to live on a boat. Others make different choices. Some would like to own, but can't afford it - one of them might buy the house you are selling for £60k less than it's worth.

1 minute ago, cuthound said:

Unless you are living in an open boat, I would have thought tne hull and closed windows on the towpath side would have offered protection against those on the towpath.

Meaning you cant sit outside your cabin on the stern or front well deck?

6 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Unless you have leaky side hatches

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Parahandy said:

Its an absolute nightmare here in Milton Keynes with the Towpath like Blackpool Promenade and if you mention the CRT Guidance regarding the use of Towpaths things very quickly turn ugly no matter how polite the initial discourse . I dropped an Email to CRT and was given a polite reply which solved nothing and a Poster to download , what a complete farce , as a Boater when it comes to Social distancing on the Towpath I have been left with no protection at all . Its hard to understand why the Towpath wasn't subject to emergency closure and Boaters advised to gather their Boats within these Boundaries and move as per instruction for Water , signs could have been erected either sides of the closure and more importantly the Police could deal with transgressors , as it is we simply have a wooly worded request on a CRT website that further advises the Public to contact the Police should they be approached by an irate Boater .

All of this would have been the simplest of tasks but as things stand just now we are faced with two options either dropping a couple of trees across the towpath or ignoring CRT guidance and move into the Country , I am tempted to do the latter .

Maybe its these people taking exercise locally outside rather than running up and down the stairs https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-49934383

3 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Providing you sit on the canalside of the deck there should just about be 2 metres between you and the towpath, even on a narrowboat.

• Greenie 1

7 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

Unless vacant for some reason, I think you will find every single "buy to let" property is a home that is lived in.... how could it be anything other than that?

There have been rental properties since time began, (you know what I mean!!), and there are many people who don't even want to consider owning their own home. Are you suggesting that there shouldn't be a private rental market?

You, for example, choose to live on a boat. Others make different choices. Some would like to own, but can't afford it - one of them might buy the house you are selling for £60k less than it's worth.

Were you an estate agent by any chance? :D

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Machpoint005 said:

(Lifted from the Swedish paper she cited)

This is undeniably true, but it's unpalatable and open to misunderstanding. Half the population is of below-average intelligence, after all.

That's an absolute disgrace! Wot - the Government allowing schools to get away with half their children coming out below average? Shame on Gove.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Someone coughs outside your boat, next day you go outside and touch the paintwork . Bang you have Covid-19, on your hands.

• Greenie 1

7 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Were you an estate agent by any chance? :D

Not sure why that matters, or how it is relevant... 

The question that you cleverly avoided was:

Are you suggesting that there shouldn't be a private rental market at all?

3 minutes ago, Loddon said:

Someone coughs outside your boat, next day you go outside and touch the paintwork . Bang you have Covid-19, on your hands.

That will be why some of the most important things we can do is wash our hands thoroughly, and avoid touching our faces.

1 minute ago, The Happy Nomad said:

We're in that situation. Boat's moored with our one hatch over the canal and not the towpath. Every thing that opens on the towpath side is shut, except the bathroom porthole window for a few hours a day. Front canopy is also zipped shut on the towpath side. No getting the garden chairs out ? 

We've had a little sod spitting on their hands and running the spit along the camp rail. Went over the area with the dettol - it's so easy to 'lose it' (bless them ?).

• Horror 1

1 minute ago, Richard10002 said:

Not sure why that matters, or how it is relevant... 

The question that you cleverly avoided was:

Are you suggesting that there shouldn't be a private rental market at all?

I am suggesting that there are people out there who can afford and do afford several houses, sometimes hundreds. I have a friend with four all bought to make money. This keeps the rental market higher and rising for many people. People buy and sell purely to make money and theres thousands of people doing it and that makes things more expensive for the low income bod at the bottom. Property prices have risen and are still rising at an obscene rate. 

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Jennifer McM said:

We've had a little sod spitting on their hands and running the spit along the camp rail. Went over the area with the dettol - it's so easy to 'lose it' (bless them ?).

That ought to be unbelievable but, sadly, it will not be uncommon :( 

• Greenie 1