Lockdown ? What Lockdown?

Momac

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, Richard10002 said:

To put it in perspective, and possibly add to your worries, the bad outcome of Covid 19 is no different to the bad outcome of "normal influenza".

On average, according to PHE, 17,000 people a year have died from "normal influenza", since 2014.

Correct. There was a top bod on telly last week from cambridge uni saying that we need to take this illness in perspective and so far the figures show that about the same amount of people will die this winter from flu as will this new virus. Now I understand that thats Extra on top of our normal yearly flue but still its not qoing to be like survivors programme of 1975 as the vast majority will come through this pandemicwhich of course is no comfort to berieved families. To further put it into context its known now that for every 1 million smokers about 500 thousand of them will die from smoking related disease, I know its their choice but the odds of beating covid are very good.

• Greenie 1

14 hours ago, David Schweizer said:

Really? One video showing people queueing for shopping, and one article about residents in a Sheffield housing estate is hardly conclusive evidence of generic ethnic group behaviour.

And another post about some very good friends from Yemen. But you chose to ignore that one.

2 hours ago, Machpoint005 said:

With one of the household being an NHS employee, it is better for the community at large if we isolate en masse, isn't it?

On the other hand, we may contribute/be contributing/have contributed to the development of herd immunity, but with no routine testing (yet) nobody knows.

As for "ideally", anyone is entitled to her opinion, but not to impose it on others about whom they know nothing.

It is better for the community if the member of the family who is working for the NHS isolates away from the family unit rather than potentially creating an additional 8 more persons who could require NHS treatment. 

But each to their own! 

• Greenie 1

8 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

..........the bad outcome of Covid 19 is no different to the bad outcome of "normal influenza"

On average, according to PHE, 17,000 people a year have died from "normal influenza", since 2014.

But that normal influenza figure has been with no special precautions in place.

It seems to me that normal death toll figure  will be significantly exceed  by Covid in 2020  (already exceeded 14500 in about  month ) even with the lockdown,  and would have escalated out of control if no lockdown had been implemented.

It's quite odd how some one on CWDF gets "pounced on"  when they make a remark about some nationalities living in bigger family groups yet when another member of the group makes the same statement in another thread , nothing is said. I wondere why that is? 

haggis

Edited by haggis

18 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Correct. There was a top bod on telly last week from cambridge uni saying that we need to take this illness in perspective and so far the figures show that about the same amount of people will die this winter from flu as will this new virus. Now I understand that thats Extra on top of our normal yearly flue but still its not qoing to be like survivors programme of 1975 as the vast majority will come through this pandemicwhich of course is no comfort to berieved families. To further put it into context its known now that for every 1 million smokers about 500 thousand of them will die from smoking related disease, I know its their choice but the odds of beating covid are very good.

Someone who remembers Survivors! Filmed around my part of the world: Hope-under-Dinmore, Herefordshire – just south of Leominster. I've been put in mind of it several times over the last couple of months!

4 minutes ago, Up-Side-Down said:

Someone who remembers Survivors! Filmed around my part of the world: Hope-under-Dinmore, Herefordshire – just south of Leominster. I've been put in mind of it several times over the last couple of months!

im a sad git. I have been watching it again this week ? Its great and I have all the episodes on a dvd collection!! Sad but true. I luv it as its a reminder of clothes, cars etc etc of the time.I didnt see it originaly in 1975 as I didnt watch telly at all then. I have watched all of them a few times over the past 15 years or so though lol. In fact for those who dont know it now would be a good time to buy a set from ebay or somewhere as even though its very dated shows what would happen if the poo realy hit the fan.

Edited by mrsmelly

21 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

And another post about some very good friends from Yemen. But you chose to ignore that one.

But that is just an anecdotal example, you clearly have no understanding of what verifiable evidence actually means.

• Greenie 2

5 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

im a sad git. I have been watching it again this week ? Its great and I have all the episodes on a dvd collection!! Sad but true. I luv it as its a reminder of clothes, cars etc etc of the time.I didnt see it originaly in 1975 as I didnt watch telly at all then. I have watched all of them a few times over the past 15 years or so though lol. In fact for those who dont know it now would be a good time to buy a set from ebay or somewhere as even though its very dated shows what would happen if the poo realy hit the fan.

I'll second that!

Just now, Up-Side-Down said:

I'll second that!

Not the git bit! The getting an Ebay set and having a watch ..............

2 minutes ago, Up-Side-Down said:

I'll second that!

Blimey, Ive just looked on ebay where there are usualy loads for sale. Loads of people must have heard about them and decided to watch as there are hardly any on ebay at present and are quite a few bob lol. Fifty quid for a boxed set like mine ?

Edited by mrsmelly

25 minutes ago, MartynG said:

But that normal influenza figure has been with no special precautions in place.

I know..... but Higgs was talking about the cold he gets every year, so I was merely making him aware of the other thing that has been happening every year, irrespective of Covid 19.

25 minutes ago, MartynG said:

It seems to me that normal death toll figure  will be significantly exceed  by Covid in 2020  (already exceeded 14500 in about  month ) even with the lockdown,  and would have escalated out of control if no lockdown had been implemented.

Of course.... but more relevant to Smellys response to me, (#301), than my response to Higgs.

There is no doubt that, without lockdown, the NHS would have been overrun, and many many more would have died.

22 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

I keep thinking about watching Contagion, but avoid it for fear of the bad dreams it might cause.

Making do with reruns of Morse and Frost on ITV3 :) 

2 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

I know..... but Higgs was talking about the cold he gets every year, so I was merely making him aware of the other thing that has been happening every year, irrespective of Covid..

You mean he doesnt believe in Santa Claus too?

29 minutes ago, Up-Side-Down said:

I remember the tennis at the start...

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, haggis said:

It's quite odd how some one on CWDF gets "pounced on"  when they make a remark about some nationalities living in bigger family groups yet when another member of the group makes the same statement in another thread , nothing is said. I wondere why that is? 

haggis

Gender??

I just LOVE dogs ❤️

Does COVID19 Smell?

Recent research on flu viruses, and other respiratory diseases, has shown that these diseases also interact with the human immune system and change human body odour. We need to be clear that, at present, we do not know for sure if COVID-19 changes human body odour, but there is a very high chance that it does.

The abilities of dogs do not stop at odour detection. A further advantage is that dogs are able to detect subtle changes in temperature of the skin. It is, therefore, possible that dogs could not only detect the change in odour of a person infected with COVID-19, but also detect the presence of individuals with a slightly raised temperature.

If it does, we are confident that dogs will be able to detect the associated odours. And, based on our previous work, we believe they would be able to do this with great accuracy.

So far as we know, dogs cannot pick up the disease, but with our method the dogs would not even need to contact individuals for them to detect the odours of COVID-19.

How Will We Do It?

Proof-of-principle: First we need to collect odour samples from people who are infected with COVID-19, and people who are uninfected. Then, we will use those odour samples with 5 dogs that are already pre-trained and awaiting training with the COVID-19 samples. Through an intensive training programme, we will test the method rigorously and, if successful, we could deploy dogs within as little as 6 weeks.

Scale-up: If successful we will scale-up our operations rapidly to deploy the trained dogs during the ongoing COVID-19 epidemic. Once trained, our medical detection dogs could be deployed in ports of entry or to any public space, to provide rapid non-invasive triage screening for COVID-19. These dogs can screen up to 750 people per hour and would support ongoing efforts to test for COVID-19. The model has scalability, once we have trained the first dogs and have set training protocols, we could engage other agencies, at home and abroad, to increase the number of working teams.  

Long Term: These dogs would also be in service at ports of entry later in the year, and for community surveys in the event that any country experiences a second wave of COVID-19.

Edited by Jennifer McM
  • Greenie 2
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Jennifer McM said:

I just LOVE dogs ❤️

Is this another of your social media true story posts....

I prefer the new Iranian testing method created by those marvellous scientists, the Iranian Revolutionary Guard which can detect the virus 300 feet away with an accuracy of 99.7%.

1 hour ago, MartynG said:

It seems to me that normal death toll figure  will be significantly exceed  by Covid in 2020  (already exceeded 14500 in about  month )

14,500 in Hospitals and an estimated 7,500 in care homes (estimated from the care home association) + unknown in Hospices and 'in their own home'.

7 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Is this another of your social media true story posts....

I prefer the new Iranian testing method created by those marvellous scientists, the Iranian Revolutionary Guard which can detect the virus 300 feet away with an accuracy of 99.7%.

Thought you could have provided a translation ?

45 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

I keep thinking about watching Contagion, but avoid it for fear of the bad dreams it might cause.

Making do with reruns of Morse and Frost on ITV3 :) 

We saw Contagion at the cinema. A scary film and from memory (it was 2011) the virus was even more virulent and could be caught with one touch. 

2 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Stupidity has a universal language.....Trump has just ordered 100k for the USA

I think Jennifer's story is true. There was an article on BBC R4 two or three weeks ago about training dogs to identify C19 carriers by smell, similar to how they use them for finding drugs.

I doubt the BEEB relied on a twitter hoax. 

Just now, Mike the Boilerman said:

I think Jennifer's story is true. There was an article on BBC R4 two or three weeks ago about training dogs to identify C19 carriers by smell, similar to how they use them for finding drugs.

I doubt the BEEB relied on a twitter hoax. 

It is absolutely true.

These dogs can detect when their owner is about to have an epileptic fit, they can alert a diabetic when their sugar is up or down. I also believe they can detect certain cancers.

image.jpeg.25d44bcd588ff4e92854f0636ac83fc3.jpegimage.jpeg.f4b7bb1433405613f50dd08e31393932.jpegimage.jpeg.12d63a0c61834995e747535176c9e400.jpegimage.jpeg.0a6f6695b40c87c1db8db7e22a0c4055.jpeg

Dogs have an incredibly sensitive sense of smell that can detect the odor signatures of various types of cancer. Among others, they can detect colon cancer, prostate cancer, breast cancer, and melanoma by sniffing people's skin, bodily fluids, or breath.

3 minutes ago, Jennifer McM said:

These dogs can detect when their owner is about to have an epileptic fit, they can alert a diabetic when their sugar is up or down. I also believe they can detect certain cancers.

It is surprising how much peoples 'smell' and secretions changes.

Many ,many moons ago the company I worked for had an electronics assembly area which was 'manned' by ladies as they were more dextrous than fat-fingered blokes.

At certain times of the month the ladies were not allowed into the assembly factory as their 'excretions' on their skin could leach into and damage the printed circuit boards.

• Horror 1

10 minutes ago, Jennifer McM said:

It is absolutely true.

They can even do it with blood samples, not the people 

• Greenie 1