Lockdown ? What Lockdown?

Momac

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

Right so after a billion posts on this and the other covid threads each and everyone of us have proved we havnt got a clue what we are talking about, even the ones who actualy think they do know lol. So question for all you lot like myself who are clueless, when do we think estate agents will return to work so I can get rid of this poxy house and get my life back??

Dunno, probably around the same time as the bailiffs start working again, so I can get my poxy house back.

26 minutes ago, The Welsh Cruiser said:

Dunno, probably around the same time as the bailiffs start working again, so I can get my poxy house back.

Thats a good reason why I will not be renting this house out. I have had a local ask me if I would rent it to her backed by a bloke I used to work with but it aint happening. It doesnt matter if the markets dropped out of houses, this one is gong asap.

35 minutes ago, MartynG said:

Probably not a good time to sell a house until this time next year, or the year after that.

Lifes too short to be run on a financial basis. Do you want a cheap detached 17th century cottage with large garden?

1 minute ago, mrsmelly said:

Thats a good reason why I will not be renting this house out. I have had a local ask me if I would rent it to her backed by a bloke I used to work with but it aint happening. It doesnt matter if the markets dropped out of houses, this one is gong asap.

Could you try it online without an agent? Got nothing to lose.

People still are moving (albeit forced or distressed moves).

1 minute ago, mark99 said:

I should think that many people living in densely-populated urban areas would love to move to a quieter area, so there could be interest - though finding a buyer for their city property might not be easy.

16 minutes ago, mark99 said:

We may well do that. Going to see what happens in the next showdown meeting in a couple of weeks time.

Its an absolute nightmare here in Milton Keynes with the Towpath like Blackpool Promenade and if you mention the CRT Guidance regarding the use of Towpaths things very quickly turn ugly no matter how polite the initial discourse . I dropped an Email to CRT and was given a polite reply which solved nothing and a Poster to download , what a complete farce , as a Boater when it comes to Social distancing on the Towpath I have been left with no protection at all . Its hard to understand why the Towpath wasn't subject to emergency closure and Boaters advised to gather their Boats within these Boundaries and move as per instruction for Water , signs could have been erected either sides of the closure and more importantly the Police could deal with transgressors , as it is we simply have a wooly worded request on a CRT website that further advises the Public to contact the Police should they be approached by an irate Boater .

All of this would have been the simplest of tasks but as things stand just now we are faced with two options either dropping a couple of trees across the towpath or ignoring CRT guidance and move into the Country , I am tempted to do the latter .

15 hours ago, Richard10002 said:

Oh Heck!! Our cute Cocker Spaniel has recently taken to sidling up to me and tapping me on the upper arm with her paw. It's almost human like, and quite amusing. I usually respond with one of the many things she might be asking for, (a treat, a tickle of the tummy, a walk, dinner), and it usually seems to satisfy her... I hope she isn't trying to tell me something else :( 

8 hours ago, mark99 said:

Our Cockerpoo does that.

I think she's saying please sod off back to work.

No, they are just training you into giving them more treats etc. ??

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Parahandy said:

Its an absolute nightmare here in Milton Keynes with the Towpath like Blackpool Promenade and if you mention the CRT Guidance regarding the use of Towpaths things very quickly turn ugly no matter how polite the initial discourse . I dropped an Email to CRT and was given a polite reply which solved nothing and a Poster to download , what a complete farce , as a Boater when it comes to Social distancing on the Towpath I have been left with no protection at all . Its hard to understand why the Towpath wasn't subject to emergency closure and Boaters advised to gather their Boats within these Boundaries and move as per instruction for Water , signs could have been erected either sides of the closure and more importantly the Police could deal with transgressors , as it is we simply have a wooly worded request on a CRT website that further advises the Public to contact the Police should they be approached by an irate Boater .

All of this would have been the simplest of tasks but as things stand just now we are faced with two options either dropping a couple of trees across the towpath or ignoring CRT guidance and move into the Country , I am tempted to do the latter .

Move. Moving to escape a crowded towpath is specifically allowed by the latest guidance.

7 hours ago, Jennifer McM said:

>>The flattening of the curve is due to the most vulnerable dying first, as much as the lockdown<<

(Lifted from the Swedish paper she cited)

This is undeniably true, but it's unpalatable and open to misunderstanding. Half the population is of below-average intelligence, after all.

39 minutes ago, Parahandy said:

NBW are having a bit of a rant about the subject :

Victor: Surely it should now be Towpath Trust!

Published: Sunday, 19 April 2020

WITH Canal & River Trust giving complete freedom of movement to towpath users whilst closing down its waterways it really should change its name to the more accurate Towpath Trust.

Boaters are not allowed on its waterways and its continuous cruisers are being hampered by ever changing regulations giving them the feeling of being inferior citizens, whilst visitors to the towpaths have no regulation whatsoever.

Every single person in the country must be aware of the coronavirus pandemic and the never ending 'Stay at Home - Save the NHS' messages rammed down their throats, yet thousands ignore it by walking, jogging, running or cycling the towpaths, so such people are hardly going to bother about the ambiguous notices being churned out by Towpath Trust—should they even see them.

People with moored boats, whether marina or towpath, are not allowed to take them out on the waterways, as a couple of people on a boat mooring against a towpath 'is a health risk' that could spread coronavirus.  But the thousands of people allowed on that same towpath obviously cannot.  Just how illogical is that?

This is indeed a clear case of favouring the towpath visitors as against the Trust's customers—the boaters. The answer is simpleclose the towpaths. That would deliver the 'Stay at Home - Save the NHS' instruction.  But no, Canal & R...sorry, Towpath Trust is more interested in flogging its linear parksthe towpathsand to hell with us, the boaters.  Even though it goes directly against the government advice, as they are certainly not staying at home and the two metres rule is impossible to enforce on such narrow towpaths.

In perspective

Let's put it in perspective.  We are not allowed to take out normal Spring cruise as though we have all been in isolation for three weeks we are told we could tie up at a towpath and spread coronavirus.  We planned to travel the Trent & Mersey, well stocked but with a 'pit stop' at the Tesco Extra just up from the towpath at Rugeley early in the morning, keeping our distance then off we go.

The problem however is the masses of towpath visitors at the locks that could give us the virus, and for the aged Thomas that would be kaput!

You see the problem?  All the towpath visitors, many who will hanging around the locks, some obviously effected, spreading it to us.

So Towpath Trust bans us (not the more obvious visitors) and bans all its other thousands of boaters and hire companiesits paying customers—from using the safe environment of the waterways in favour of allowing unsafe towpath visitors, who of course pay nothing, but more importantly are illegally breaking the rule of travelling away from home to exercise and the other rule of keeping the two metres distancing.

Where's the logic?  Where's the sense? 

Thousands at risk 

It gets worse, much worse, for Towpath Trust tells us there are 5,500 continuous cruisers on its waterways, and with many couples and even crews a modest total would be around 7,500 people—many elderlyat risk from coronavirus from those towpath visitors.

But that is not the half of it.  The boaters have to stay put.  And needing supplies of course that means they have to stay where it is available—around towns, where the hoards of walkers, joggers, runners and cyclists congregate.

Here's what the Trust (Towpath, of course) tells its continuous cruisers:

'We are continuing to put out the message that, while our towpaths remain open, use of them should be limited, in support of the government’s ‘stay at home’ campaign.

To this end, thousands of signs have been put up around network, with more to come, and other channels such as our website and targeted social media advertising continue to remind the public that towpath use should be limited and only for those who are local to it'.

Then it told the continuous cruisers:

'Please remember our advice—only move your boat if it’s essential (not for leisure purposes) and minimise your use of the towpath'.

So whilst the public have free rein to use the towpaths as they please, boaters cannot, they have to minimise their use!

How ridiculous is that?  It proves one thing for surethe towpaths are not for the use of boaters, they're for visitors!

Blaming the government

And now it is no longer 'our' advice.  This has been changed to 'governments' guidance, making it of course seem official, though of course it is not as the government most certainly has not given the advice it blatantly states:

If you are not currently occupying your boat, the government guidance is that you must not visit it this means no short trips or breaks on your boat at this time. 

It is simply putting it's own twist on the government's 'stay at home' campaign so stopping boaters.  But I ask why not the same twist to stop towpath visitors?

Instead it is wasting thousands of pounds in an expensive campaign to persuade people not to visit its towpaths, if it really means it then it would be simpler and a lot less expensive to just close them.  But methinks, as do I'm sure many others, is that is the last thing it really want to do, eh?

Victor Swift

2 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Lifes too short to be run on a financial basis. Do you want a cheap detached 17th century cottage with large garden?

Do you have power of attorney, Tim? If so, and you have other relatives/beneficiaries, watch it! You have a legal duty to make proper financial decisions on your mother's behalf.

3 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

>>'Stay at Home - Save the NHS' messages rammed down their throats, yet thousands ignore it by walking, jogging, running or cycling the towpaths<<,

I'm not at all sure how these actions are ignoring the government's requirements.

(sorry Alan, I know they are Narrowminded World's words really).

12 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

(Lifted from the Swedish paper she cited)

This is undeniably true, but it's unpalatable and open to misunderstanding. Half the population is of below-average intelligence, after all.

That just a point in which are hard facts. If you listened to the vid you'd here the Prof and the interview say how callous it is to think this way.

"As for half the population being of below-average intelligence" ? love that! ?

15 minutes ago, Jennifer McM said:

That just a point in which are hard facts. If you listened to the vid you'd here the Prof and the interview say how callous it is to think this way.

"As for half the population being of below-average intelligence" ? love that! ?

....and as I'm well above the average,  there must be some pretty thick peeps out there.

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

23 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

NBW are having a bit of a rant about the subject :

Victor: Surely it should now be Towpath Trust!

Published: Sunday, 19 April 2020

WITH Canal & River Trust giving complete freedom of movement to towpath users whilst closing down its waterways it really should change its name to the more accurate Towpath Trust.

Boaters are not allowed on its waterways and its continuous cruisers are being hampered by ever changing regulations giving them the feeling of being inferior citizens, whilst visitors to the towpaths have no regulation whatsoever.

Every single person in the country must be aware of the coronavirus pandemic and the never ending 'Stay at Home - Save the NHS' messages rammed down their throats, yet thousands ignore it by walking, jogging, running or cycling the towpaths, so such people are hardly going to bother about the ambiguous notices being churned out by Towpath Trust—should they even see them.

People with moored boats, whether marina or towpath, are not allowed to take them out on the waterways, as a couple of people on a boat mooring against a towpath 'is a health risk' that could spread coronavirus.  But the thousands of people allowed on that same towpath obviously cannot.  Just how illogical is that?

This is indeed a clear case of favouring the towpath visitors as against the Trust's customers—the boaters. The answer is simpleclose the towpaths. That would deliver the 'Stay at Home - Save the NHS' instruction.  But no, Canal & R...sorry, Towpath Trust is more interested in flogging its linear parksthe towpathsand to hell with us, the boaters.  Even though it goes directly against the government advice, as they are certainly not staying at home and the two metres rule is impossible to enforce on such narrow towpaths.

In perspective

Let's put it in perspective.  We are not allowed to take out normal Spring cruise as though we have all been in isolation for three weeks we are told we could tie up at a towpath and spread coronavirus.  We planned to travel the Trent & Mersey, well stocked but with a 'pit stop' at the Tesco Extra just up from the towpath at Rugeley early in the morning, keeping our distance then off we go.

The problem however is the masses of towpath visitors at the locks that could give us the virus, and for the aged Thomas that would be kaput!

You see the problem?  All the towpath visitors, many who will hanging around the locks, some obviously effected, spreading it to us.

So Towpath Trust bans us (not the more obvious visitors) and bans all its other thousands of boaters and hire companiesits paying customers—from using the safe environment of the waterways in favour of allowing unsafe towpath visitors, who of course pay nothing, but more importantly are illegally breaking the rule of travelling away from home to exercise and the other rule of keeping the two metres distancing.

Where's the logic?  Where's the sense? 

Thousands at risk 

It gets worse, much worse, for Towpath Trust tells us there are 5,500 continuous cruisers on its waterways, and with many couples and even crews a modest total would be around 7,500 people—many elderlyat risk from coronavirus from those towpath visitors.

But that is not the half of it.  The boaters have to stay put.  And needing supplies of course that means they have to stay where it is available—around towns, where the hoards of walkers, joggers, runners and cyclists congregate.

Here's what the Trust (Towpath, of course) tells its continuous cruisers:

'We are continuing to put out the message that, while our towpaths remain open, use of them should be limited, in support of the government’s ‘stay at home’ campaign.

To this end, thousands of signs have been put up around network, with more to come, and other channels such as our website and targeted social media advertising continue to remind the public that towpath use should be limited and only for those who are local to it'.

Then it told the continuous cruisers:

'Please remember our advice—only move your boat if it’s essential (not for leisure purposes) and minimise your use of the towpath'.

So whilst the public have free rein to use the towpaths as they please, boaters cannot, they have to minimise their use!

How ridiculous is that?  It proves one thing for surethe towpaths are not for the use of boaters, they're for visitors!

Blaming the government

And now it is no longer 'our' advice.  This has been changed to 'governments' guidance, making it of course seem official, though of course it is not as the government most certainly has not given the advice it blatantly states:

If you are not currently occupying your boat, the government guidance is that you must not visit it this means no short trips or breaks on your boat at this time. 

It is simply putting it's own twist on the government's 'stay at home' campaign so stopping boaters.  But I ask why not the same twist to stop towpath visitors?

Instead it is wasting thousands of pounds in an expensive campaign to persuade people not to visit its towpaths, if it really means it then it would be simpler and a lot less expensive to just close them.  But methinks, as do I'm sure many others, is that is the last thing it really want to do, eh?

Victor Swift

As usual NBW couch a simple reality in unnecessary invective which I always struggle to read but its hard not to agree with much of whats written . I find Richard Parry little more than a mealy mouthed Bureaucrat on his way to the obligatory knighthood and this attitude is mirrored by much of the Organisation he heads . I have had occasion to challenge recently several of their recent sightings of my boat after being inexplicably handed a six month Licence , 40 years afloat you can trust I had both the Geospike sightings complete with Pictures and corresponding Emails to CRT in order to back up my Continuous Cruise , naturally they apologised and issued me with a 12 month License but sadly the sour taste remains .

52 minutes ago, Sir Nibble said:

Move. Moving to escape a crowded towpath is specifically allowed by the latest guidance.

Thanks Sir Nibble I wasn't aware of this .

27 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

Do you have power of attorney, Tim? If so, and you have other relatives/beneficiaries, watch it! You have a legal duty to make proper financial decisions on your mother's behalf.

Thanks Ian, you are right and yes Ive taken solicitors advice. There is much to it and one thing is that we cannot be forced to sell it quickly nor to hang on to it. What I mean is that I will not be trying to eek every last penny out of it and playing cricket with offer and counter offer. It will be marketed at a price to sell to those with money rather than in a bloody chain. someone who can actualy afford to but it and improve it thus avoiding tyre kickers. In short someone will get it for bottom value and good luck to them, we will however not be mugging it away as we dont need to sell it at all realy but it has to go sometime as non of us want it. Im just miffed that I am sat in it and not on my boat ? It needs much doing to it and even though is valued at 225k before this recent event anyway so I intend flogging it at say 180 to cut out the eejuts and twoing and froing with offers and such nonsense.

1 hour ago, Parahandy said:

Correct me if I am wrong but aren't most of the boats moored illegally to the towpath in the Milton Keynes area. These people are now complaining about people not following guidelines. I know the guidelines are a matter of life and death which the illegal mooring is not.

6 hours ago, Cheshire cat said:

According to today's Sunday Times the rules will start to be dismantled from mid May but the over 70's will be isolating until a vaccine is available. Unfortunately, the article is behind a paywall but the way it reads boating should be possible by mid June.

That is just as well as I dont want to stay in for 18 months to two years, I would starve to death if I tried to do it for two months. They say shop once a week and when you do you can only buy enough milk for four days. Shop on line and the cupboard is empty before you can get a delivery spot. Glad I cant read such good news.

1 minute ago, Tonka said:

Correct me if I am wrong but aren't most of the boats moored illegally to the towpath in the Milton Keynes area. These people are now complaining about people not following guidelines. I know the guidelines are a matter of life and death which the illegal mooring is not.

Yes consider yourself corrected , I couldn't imagine why you would think such a thing .

7 minutes ago, MartynG said:

Sounds interesting . 

It is. For anyone who likes property which is not me I find it boring hence the boat life. It is nearly 400 years old on a fair plot and the only house on this side of the road in the corner of a field in a posh village ( For Yorkshire lol ) average house price today on Zoopla for this postcode is 450k this house has a projected price of 368 to 442 as guestimates, cant be nearer than that on Zoopla simply because its not been on the market since 1953. 9 out of 10 houses are detached and some are oooooge. Its one of those villages with 2 new range rovers in each drive ( yawn ) it used to be a fab village when Dad bought in 53 but over the years money has ruined it and its now commuter belt within easy access to A!m and M62 etc. It will sell no problem as there are very few available like this anymore and non at all round here.

Yes it's perfectly OK to get rid of it, because when sitting empty (you wish!) it isn't really gaining value and is still costing her money.

Thought I'd ask because I went through the same process with my mum last year. If you have Lasting (or Enduring) Poer of Attorney it needs to be registered with the Office of the Public Guardian in order to invoke it properly, but once done, you are free to act.

I'm sure you know all this already, so thanks for taking my sixpennorth in the spirit it was offered!   

1 minute ago, mrsmelly said:

cant be nearer than that on Zoopla simply because its not been on the market since 1953

I had a similar problem!

Edited by Machpoint005
  • Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Parahandy said:

They are not coming into your oat are they

10 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

valued at 225k before this recent event anyway so I intend flogging it at say 180

Since the brexit vote (specifically G Osborne's claim that the bottom would drop out of the housing market) I've made a number of offers on properties at 70% of asking price :). It may be that Covid-19 does what brexit didn't.