Stay at home this Easter Weekend

Ray T

Featured Posts

PRESS RELEASE

9 April 2020

STAY AT HOME THIS EASTER WEEKEND AND SUPPORT THE NHS SAYS CANAL & RIVER TRUST

Ahead of the Easter weekend, waterways & wellbeing charity Canal & River Trust is calling on people to follow Government guidance to stay at home.  It is reminding those who do venture out that use of local canal towpaths should be strictly limited with people keeping their distance from other people and moored boats.

The charity, which looks after 2,000 miles of waterways across England & Wales and appreciates the importance of canals in urban areas for providing green space, is advising people that towpaths should be strictly for local use during the coronavirus pandemic.  People must follow social distancing measures at all times, taking extra care on narrow towpaths 

Richard Parry, chief executive at Canal & River Trust, said: “While the weather may make it seem tempting to go for a towpath walk, remember that public health officials have stressed the importance of people staying at home, saying that the single most important action we can all take in fighting coronavirus is to stay at home in order to protect the NHS and save lives.

“Our plea to everyone thinking of using the towpath is to be mindful of others and act always with consideration and with respect.  If we all continue to observe government guidance - to strictly apply social distancing, and follow advice to stay local and limit towpath use - then together we can combat this pandemic, and be able to enjoy getting back out on or by our waterways when we’ve beaten it.”

There are particular issues with using towpaths as they are often narrow and, in some places, have people living in boats moored alongside.  Where a local journey is unavoidable, the Trust is asking people to try and avoid stretches with multiple moored boats, use the full width of the towpath when passing, keep moving, and stand aside to allow others to pass, in single file.

The Trust is putting up banners, signs and posters at busy locations to remind people to limit their use of towpaths and is building a vast library of canal-related films, images, interactive content and stories for people to enjoy safely at home to get their enjoyment of the waterways virtually.

For more information on the Trust’s response to coronavirus, please visit:  https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/safety-on-our-waterways/coronavirus

To explore the waterways virtually, please visit:  https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/news-and-views/our-campaigns/canals-at-home-our-best-bits

Ends

Fran Read

National press officer

I work Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays

M  07796 610 427

E  fran.read@canalrivertrustorg.uk

42 minutes ago, Lady C said:

Advice to boaters about boating (restrictions) can be found in the latest edition of the Boaters Update.

Ah yes....I stopped those updates a year ago when they kept telling me there was no water and the reservoirs weren't telling me that.

A new edition of Boaters' Updatehas been just been published containing all the latest updates on how coronavirus is affecting your boating and use of the towpath. 

If you are not currently occupying your boat the government guidance is that you must not visit (this means no short trips or breaks on your boat at this time).

With Government expected to extend the lockdown period later today, we are extending our suspension of the normal movement requirement to 18 April.

PLEASE DO NOT VISIT OR MOVE BOATS OVER THE EASTER PERIOD

Please follow the government advice – stay at home, protect the NHS, save lives.

Ive just been called lots of names by a lad fishing on the shroppie because I said fishing isn't allowed, , he said he was bored after spending three weeks in isolation, and wasn't doing any harm, people had to walk around him and his brother. Doubt I would of said anything , but he was the third today I have seen fishing. But is it worth the abuse and confrontation, I'm not the police.

2 hours ago, matty40s said:

Ah yes....I stopped those updates a year ago when they kept telling me there was no water and the reservoirs weren't telling me that.

Well the good news is there is plenty of water.

For those of you - us who pour scorn on the Thames,

ba advised that they've turned off ALL the power to the locks below Oxenford so you have to work hard to wind them,

not satisfied with that some 'electric' locks have no hand winding facility so you can't get through

even so they've blocked one lock with a girt big tree

and another they've sunk a boat in the lock cut.

You couldn't get a refund of the whatever-it's-called-fee 'cos it's a "registration"  and not a licence to use.

All a great pity - because the River is back to normality water-wise.

To cap it all 'my' marina has locked the gates and won't let any one in or out..

Happy Easter everybody.

(ALL VERY TONGUE IN CHEEK FOR THOS EWHO WOULD REPLY WITH CASTIGATING COMMENTS)

14 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

For those of you - us who pour scorn on the Thames,

ba advised that they've turned off ALL the power to the locks below Oxenford so you have to work hard to wind them,

not satisfied with that some 'electric' locks have no hand winding facility so you can't get through

even so they've blocked one lock with a girt big tree

and another they've sunk a boat in the lock cut.

You couldn't get a refund of the whatever-it's-called-fee 'cos it's a "registration"  and not a licence to use.

All a great pity - because the River is back to normality water-wise.

To cap it all 'my' marina has locked the gates and won't let any one in or out..

Happy Easter everybody.

(ALL VERY TONGUE IN CHEEK FOR THOS EWHO WOULD REPLY WITH CASTIGATING COMMENTS)

If that is true and not the result of accidents I would think they are skating on thin legal ice if an idiot wanted to challenge them. It has a very historic public right of navigation. I suspect the powers the police now hold to enforce the lock down and what the EA are legally allowed to do are two different things.

Given the numerous reports of people ignoring the govt rules I suspect this Easter will prove to be a turning point in the lockdown. I think it is likely to get a whole lot stricter if the BBC is flooded with pictures of people out and about en masse this weekend. The towpath here is busier than the M4 despite the CRT signs, or so I'm told by a boater down on the VM. 

5 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Given the numerous reports of people ignoring the govt rules I suspect this Easter will prove to be a turning point in the lockdown. I think it is likely to get a whole lot stricter if the BBC is flooded with pictures of people out and about en masse this weekend. The towpath here is busier than the M4 despite the CRT signs, or so I'm told by a boater down on the VM. 

I agree again. The Benidorm mentality will end up with more draconian measures due to numpties playing out with their mates. How and what that entails remains to be seen? People still have to shop for food as there is simply no other way at present so that can usualy be a cop out within a few miles of home.

17 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

If that is true and not the result of accidents I would think they are skating on thin legal ice if an idiot wanted to challenge them. It has a very historic public right of navigation. I suspect the powers the police now hold to enforce the lock down and what the EA are legally allowed to do are two different things.

'Tis True yer Honour, tis true - with only a slight embellishment.

The power is off, even (not mentioned) so are the pumpouts. The tree dud its own blocking with no help but the wind and rain.

The boat was badly towed (IMHO) by an EA tug.

To stop folks like me whingeing, I can ring a number 'for assistance' but in all reasonableness, I suspect that there may be an humungous series of hoops for me or anyone else to jump through - unless you can chat up the Duty Officer. If it's the chief (very unlikely) - then 'no chance'

3 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

I agree again. The Benidorm mentality will end up with more draconian measures due to numpties playing out with their mates. How and what that entails remains to be seen? People still have to shop for food as there is simply no other way at present so that can usualy be a cop out within a few miles of home.

When I were a lad - I/we were taught to be polite and raise one's school cap 'whe necessary'. This latter was not described, thus one day I tried it on a bus queue. Instantly the waiting hordes of five responded with a smile and cheery waves.

This is fun, I thought, I'll do it again.

In tose days there were no thoughts of 'nasty people' around, thus I continued until advancing age made 'one' think a school cap / CCF uniform was naff and perhaps there might be some unpleasant folks around.....

In later life it costs nothing to greet folks with a cheery smile and a wave, say hello to their dogs (our private lane is a public footpath - so plenty of passing foot traffic). It make everyone feel good, and encourages communication.

I do this in our local village to where increasing numbers of Londoners have retired and are not used to local yokels with their strange habits - but they are soon converted....

We persist with this unusual method of communication when out boating, wave at all and sundry when moving (and that includes livestock) and met all manner of folks with interesting histories - all because we bother to  communicate. We even met pseudo Boris and Mrs B when stopping for coffee at one of the Heyfords some time ago.

Happy days.

Now I have to mow the paddock.

Try it sometime

• Greenie 2

2 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

When I were a lad - I/we were taught to be polite and raise one's school cap 'whe necessary'. This latter was not described, thus one day I tried it on a bus queue. Instantly the waiting hordes of five responded with a smile and cheery waves.

This is fun, I thought, I'll do it again.

In tose days there were no thoughts of 'nasty people' around, thus I continued until advancing age made 'one' think a school cap / CCF uniform was naff and perhaps there might be some unpleasant folks around.....

In later life it costs nothing to greet folks with a cheery smile and a wave, say hello to their dogs (our private lane is a public footpath - so plenty of passing foot traffic). It make everyone feel good, and encourages communication.

I do this in our local village to where increasing numbers of Londoners have retired and are not used to local yokels with their strange habits - but they are soon converted....

We persist with this unusual method of communication when out boating, wave at all and sundry when moving (and that includes livestock) and met all manner of folks with interesting histories - all because we bother to  communicate. We even met pseudo Boris and Mrs B when stopping for coffee at one of the Heyfords some time ago.

Happy days.

Now I have to mow the paddock.

Try it sometime

I agree you old Goat ;)

5 minutes ago, Athy said:

I quite agree, good manners don't cost anything. Why do you suppose that Northerners are so polite?

I had to think about that one.....

Oh - yes (forgetting my tenuous Scottish ancestry..)

9 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Non boaters (covidiots) picnicking on the wider parts of the towpath at Fradley today! - amazing numpties

10 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

It will be the banning of leaving home to exercise, or for any reason other than travel to work or to buy food/get medicine.

9 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

It will be the banning of leaving home to exercise, or for any reason other than travel to work or to buy food/get medicine.

Possibly; but if, as it appears, the current rules cannot be policed effectively, how could more stringent ones be enforced?

35 minutes ago, Athy said:

Possibly; but if, as it appears, the current rules cannot be policed effectively, how could more stringent ones be enforced?

The way France do it perhaps. 

Everyone away from home must carry a document pre-completed with the purpose of leaving home. No document = arrest and fine.

But it is the English way, to make regulations more stringent when existing regs are flouted rather than improve enforcement.

How do you propose making the covidiots stay in?

10 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Should have been like that from the start. ;)