Tonic required. Send in your photos of what is nice on the waterways now.

DandV

Featured Posts

41 minutes ago, matty40s said:

You are quite insensitive and forgetful at times Athy.

You're such a flatterer.

It's difficult to forget something which one never knew in the first place, and there is nothing insensitive about expressing concern for the fate of old boats.

11 minutes ago, Athy said:

You're such a flatterer.

It's difficult to forget something which one never knew in the first place, and there is nothing insensitive about expressing concern for the fate of old boats.

You joined around the same time as me, these boats were discussed many times and CarlT was a prolific contributor until about 2015/6. ...still occasionally pops his head in.

Just now, matty40s said:

You joined around the same time as me, these boats were discussed many times and CarlT was a prolific contributor until about 2015/6. ...still occasionally pops his head in.

Of course I remember Mr. T, and I miss his contributions. I believe he has not been feeling well lately.

I have some memory of the boats being mentioned, but not that one of them belonged to Carl.

3 minutes ago, David Mack said:

One of several previous threads:

Well remembered.

2 minutes ago, Athy said:

Of course I remember Mr. T, and I miss his contributions. I believe he has not been feeling well lately.

I have some memory of the boats being mentioned, but not that one of them belonged to Carl.

Both of them belonged to Carl, Usk was the other one, destroyed almost completely above the waterline by the fire.

• Greenie 1

Just now, matty40s said:

Both of them belonged to Carl, Usk was the other one, destroyed almost completely above the waterline by the fire.

One lives and learns. I was certainly aware that Carl owned (and I think lived on) an old working boat, but I never knew that it was one of the ones near Braunston Turn.

2 hours ago, Athy said:

I remember passing those abandoned boats (I think there were two or three) several times and wondering if anyone actually owned them. If they did, they hadn't looked after them very well. Are they still there or have they sunk?

From memory some of the boats were:

Umbriel, motor: broke up during  a rescue attempt.

Lucy, butty: Being restored at Braunston.

Hardy, motor: being cosmetically restored at Tooley's Yard Banbury.

There was also another butty near the winding hole at Wolfhampcote, don't know her fate

Hardy and another butty were at Puddlebanks. I seem to recall the butty went to Braunston bottom lock and was converted into two boats.

Hardy at Wolfhamcote.jpg

Edited by Ray T
  • Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Ray T said:

From memory some of the boats were:

Umbriel, motor: broke up during  a rescue attempt.

Lucy, butty: Being restored at Braunston.

Hardy, motor: being cosmetically restored at Tooley's Yard Banbury.

There was also another butty near the winding hole at Wolfhampcote, don't know her fate

Hardy and another butty were at Puddlebanks. I seem to recall the butty went to Braunston bottom lock and was converted into two boats.

Hardy at Wolfhamcote.jpg

Thanks for the update, Ray.

We saw Hardy shortly after her arrival at Banbury, either last year or the year before. 

Your photo shows these boats in better condition than I remember them - obviously some restoration has been carried out. Is it a recent photo?

22 minutes ago, Athy said:

Thanks for the update, Ray.

We saw Hardy shortly after her arrival at Banbury, either last year or the year before. 

Your photo shows these boats in better condition than I remember them - obviously some restoration has been carried out. Is it a recent photo?

Hardy photo taken 2015.

The photo below came from a waterways magazine.

Hardy at Banbury 1957, William Humphris on the step.

William had the fore cabin built for his girls to sleep at night.

Hardy at Banbury.jpg

Edited by Ray T
  • Greenie 1

10 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Is Lucy actually being restored or just measured and taken apart ?

Not sure what progress has been made recently, no updates on the Nurser restoration website here http://www.nurser.co.uk/construction/alphabetical-index-of-boats/lucy/lucy-restoration/ for a few years.

On this day in 2008

spacer.png

Approaching Rugby Wharf Arm Northern Oxford and Stretton Stop  Compare #1594 (2016)

spacer.png

spacer.pngBrinklow Arm

More eighths of November. Try clicking on the three vertical dots (menu) and then selecting the slideshow option

spacer.png

Edited by PeterScott
link