Tonic required. Send in your photos of what is nice on the waterways now.

DandV

Featured Posts

49 minutes ago, Victor Vectis said:

?  I wish I had a grey Cortina. ?

spacer.pngGosh .... Cars .... Nostalgia ... This one was light green with a white top. Donated by my father who had no further use for it after success in the bob-a-week factory raffle (he was a toolmaker in the Dagenham Ford engine plant) brought a new Cortina-with-knobs-on. This one did sterling service for another couple of years, but there's a big dent behind the nearside headlight, the bottom of the passenger doors are rusty, and I worry about that wet/oily patch just where it has stopped for the photo. D-reg 1967 and it survived until later that year in 1980 iirc ... happy days and all that ...

On this day in 2005

spacer.png

30 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Disconnected or just a lack of maintenance, Probably they raised the capital costs to installing but nothing for maintaining.

spacer.pngNewbold Tunnel Northern Oxford.

We are returning from Hawkesbury after the trip in t'other direction the previous day #4189

Compare #1040 (also 2005) #1048

There are a number of threads hereabouts with the same view. I suppose it applies to restorations too: a need to plan how to pay for whatever-it-is to continue to work after the money spent installing or restoring it.

On this day in 2012

spacer.pngspacer.png

London Bridge and Tower Bridge in the early evening, And later ...

spacer.png

More fifteenths of November. Try clicking on the three vertical dots (menu) and then selecting the slideshow option. And So To Bed

Edited by PeterScott

10 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

My second car was a Mk11 cortina 1600 Super. Crossflow engine, four door. Brilliant car.

Mk 11! I thought they more or less gave up after after the Mk3. Firstly the German Taunus was a rebadged mk3 Cortina, but then the mk4 Cortina was a rebadged Taunus.

Simple mechanics combined with lightweight bodies made for good performance, cheap maintenance, but dire consequences for "losing it"

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, PeterScott said:

On this day in 2005

spacer.png

Approaching Braunston Turn from Napton direction. And from Rugby direction

Compare #1380 (1975) #1710 (1988) #818 (1997) #4187 (2005) #4096 #4097 (2008) #1985 (2012) #2008 (2017) #2151 (2019)

This is how it looks today https://www.facebook.com/chris.burton.127/posts/10158984697957020

15 hours ago, Mike Todd said:

Before the no mooring signs went up?

The no mooring signs were put up at the behest of a Coventry City Councillor who objected to the fact that moored boats overlooked her property at bedroom level!

Again I think it was an occasion of NIMBYISM. Similar to those who buy a cottage in a rural village and then complain about the church bells.

I do not know if she still lives there.

The canal was there first!!!!

6 minutes ago, Ray T said:

The canal was there first!!!!

We got a gobful from a chap who has a house on the offside near Lancaster a couple of months ago.

He yelled at me that he's lived there for thirty years and gets very cross at boats mooring opposite his house - at one of the very few places boats can get in to the side on the Lancaster.

He didn't take well to my observation that the canal had been there for 200 years before he bought the house ...