Tonic required. Send in your photos of what is nice on the waterways now.

DandV

Featured Posts

As we begin another month of lockdown in England ...

On 19/03/2020 at 05:53, DandV said:

... our boats, landscapes, boating activities and wildlife are still stunningly beautiful and give joy ... cheer me up, and I guess many others by posting photos, and videos of your  day by day boating ... We are not totally powerless to create pleasure without endangering ouselves or others. Please just post that lovely dawn photo today and more. Spring in Britain is beautifully photogenic, and as this goes on, so is summer, and then autumn, and winter. ... Don and Val

On this day in 1977 in Scotland

spacer.png

spacer.pngMaryhill Locks

Erskine Bridge

Bascule Bridge

spacer.png

Forward to summer 2005 and the canal is restored to navigation

L1128_20050720_0214.JPG.62f9134f76194c80d6533102837b886d.JPG

5 hours ago, Mike Todd said:

And what is the single hander solution for that?!

At present, the remaining bascule bridges are operated by Scottish Canals or volunteers. They do require a windlass which is a lot bigger, both in head size and throw, than anything used for locks. 

The traditional "puffer" method was to swing the mate out on one side and the boy out on the other, using the boom.

13 hours ago, Captain Pegg said:

Same as a single leaf swing bridge but you have to do everything twice.

Ah, but when you have opened one side of a bascule bridge, how to you get to the bank on the other side to open that side of the bridge?

haggis

19 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

You get back on the boat and push it - or motor it - across to the other side.

That would work but would take a long time! I don't think there would have been many (any?) single handed boaters on the Forth and Clyde canal though and that is the only place I have seen a bascule bridge. 

haggis

6 minutes ago, haggis said:

That would work but would take a long time! I don't think there would have been many (any?) single handed boaters on the Forth and Clyde canal though and that is the only place I have seen a bascule bridge. 

haggis

That’s kind of how you do a swing or lift bridge single handed although I’ve never encountered a double leaf one. Some things simply do take longer when single handed.

Edited by Captain Pegg

2 hours ago, haggis said:

haggis

There is another on the Thames

3 hours ago, haggis said:

... the Forth and Clyde canal ... that is the only place I have seen a bascule bridge.

3 hours ago, Captain Pegg said:

... I’ve never encountered a double leaf one.

1 hour ago, Tacet said:

There is another on the Thames

53 minutes ago, David Mack said:

You don't have to work it yourself, though.

36 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

I doubt any canal [boat] requires it to operate anyway!

Any excuse for a pic, then, from the Jubilee Pageant in 2012 they raised the bascules fully

spacer.png

and sometime before that, a narrowboat booked a raise, and had a long boatpole vertically on the roof: the River Police were unamused and told them not to be so silly. Their engine then broke down and needed a tow back to Limehouse.

Edited by PeterScott
  • Greenie 1