Covid-19, 14 day rule?

Bewildered

Featured Posts

39 minutes ago, john6767 said:

On the face of it with Tesco it looks like what they do at Christmas with things like turkeys, so not so much that they pick it early, but they make certain on the delivery days it is put aside for you, but that’s not working, at least it did not for us.

Turkeys at Christmas though are a different thing. Only normally ordered at a specific time of year. (If we are talking fresh not frozen).

You can place a specific order for a Turkey and just go in store to collect and pay for it. It has your name placed against it. The same will happen if you do online shopping and  include a Turkey. It will be ordered and brought in specifically and will be matched to your specific order.

Unfortunately they cannot do that with a bag of dry Taglietelle.....

8 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

It is quite clear from your comments that you have never used on-line shopping before. The items may be in stock when you place the order, but they are not picked from the shelves until a few hours before your scheduled delivery slot, by which time they may be out of stock, in which case you may get a substitute or not get the itemat all. That's how it works

^^^^^^^
Exactly this, or at least so at Tesco.

They let you place orders for what is in stock when you are sat there selecting items, but in no way does it reserve stock.

As David says, it is picked from shelves in a store on the day, so if other in-store customers have cleared it out, you don't get.

We had a Tesco delivery today, (we have had to wait around 5 days for it), but a lot of what we ordered was not available.  Some substitutions were sent, (mostly acceptable), but many of the "unavailables" didn't have an available substitute either.

We tried to buy additional items later in the day at one of Sainsbury's very large stores.  A complete waste of time - absolutely no flours or any kind, pasta of any kind, and the only thing available in the entire fruit and veg department was broccoli that had obviously just been put out.

Round here, at  least, the whole thing seems quite mental.

1 hour ago, Murflynn said:

what is the difference between what you are doing and panic buying?

Plenty

I am just setting up weekly shops with enough yfood etc  for each week, that means I don't have to go out and can social distance.

If I was buying loads of extra each week then that would be wrong.

36 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Turkeys at Christmas though are a different thing. Only normally ordered at a specific time of year. (If we are talking fresh not frozen).

You can place a specific order for a Turkey and just go in store to collect and pay for it. It has your name placed against it. The same will happen if you do online shopping and  include a Turkey. It will be ordered and brought in specifically and will be matched to your specific order.

Unfortunately they cannot do that with a bag of dry Taglietelle.....

Yes but on the face of it they are using that same system now for things like toilet rolls, in that it gets allocated to you and you then can not change the quantity.  It’s just it did not work, now of course I have no idea when they last had any toilet rolls delivered.

• Greenie 1

11 minutes ago, john6767 said:

Yes but on the face of it they are using that same system now for things like toilet rolls, in that it gets allocated to you and you then can not change the quantity.  It’s just it did not work, now of course I have no idea when they last had any toilet rolls delivered.

Are they actually using the same system though?

I dont believe they are but I will let you know on Monday when our normal weekly shop comes and if the bag of dried macaroni we ordered is present.

Besides I dont believe they have the facility to 'hold' items delivered to store which are due to be delivered to customers in two or three weeks. So if when we ordered a bag of  macaroni last week for delivery on Monday, where was it held?

Edited by The Happy Nomad

9 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Are they actually using the same system though?

I dont believe they are but I will let you know on Monday when our normal weekly shop comes and if the bag of dried macaroni we ordered is present.

Besides I dont believe they have the facility to 'hold' items delivered to store which are due to be delivered to customers in two or three weeks.

That is the only time I have seen it where it will not let you change quantity.  The capability to do is in the platform already and I doubt they have had time to add new features in there to do something else, so it just makes sense that they would use the same feature for other products.  Rather mute though as it did not work.

This is not holding items for weeks, it only locks in the quantity a day or so before delivery.  So I guess it assume they have it then, which presumably they don’t.

Edited by john6767
  • Greenie 1

Just now, john6767 said:

That is the only time I have seen it where it will not let you change quantity.  The capability to do is in the platform already and I doubt they have had time to add new features in there to do something else, so it just makes sense that they would use the same feature for other products.  Rather mute though as it did not work.

Sounds to me like its been set so you cant change the quantity to ramp it up in the light of the current situation. Ie "change it at your peril because if you do you might get nothing".

Bought four cloves of garlic, lady on counter says officially only three of anything but waved them through, not necessities unless the zombie invasion's on its way. Saw bottles of water and cucumbers being taken off customers at the next aisle. Absolute bonkers

14 hours ago, David Schweizer said:

It is quite clear from your comments that you have never used on-line shopping before. The items may be in stock when you place the order, but they are not picked from the shelves until a few hours before your scheduled delivery slot, by which time they may be out of stock, in which case you may get a substitute or not get the item at all. That's how it works.

I don't know which supermarket you are trying to order from, but both Tesco and Sainsburys allow you to ammend your order up to 24 hours before your delivery slot, and nothing is lost from your order unless you remove it, but if they do not have an item you ordered when the picking is done, you will not get it.

What a lot of opinionated nonsense from someone who obviously has difficulty reading a thread. 

I don’t know why you ‘don’t know which supermarket I’m buying from’ when I have mentioned on more than one occasion that it’s ASDA. Far from ‘never used online shopping before’, we have been ordering online from ASDA for a number of years (and occasionally from Ocado in more recent times). 

I am fully aware that I am able to amend the order right up until 12 hours (not 24) prior to the delivery time, and we frequently do so. I am also well versed in selecting ‘no substitution’ for items which we wouldn’t wish to receive an alternative for.  

However, this is the first time that ASDA have informed me that I WILL LOSE pasta and rice from my order if I amend it. This appears to be the point with which you are having difficulty. The implication of the warning that ASDA put on their web page was taken by me as meaning that if I didn’t amend my order then I wouldn’t lose the items they listed. Perhaps I was wrong to infer that from their message but then I have to wonder what the purpose of the message was if that isn’t the case. 

Edited by WotEver
Infer not imply

11 hours ago, john6767 said:

This is not holding items for weeks, it only locks in the quantity a day or so before delivery.  So I guess it assume they have it then, which presumably they don’t.

I think you have it spot on, John. As I’ve said, I’ll report back Monday morning and let y’all know whether or not we get the dried goods. 

36 minutes ago, WotEver said:

What a lot of opinionated nonsense from someone who obviously has difficulty reading a thread. 

I don’t know why you ‘don’t know which supermarket I’m buying from’ when I have mentioned on more than one occasion that it’s ASDA. Far from ‘never used online shopping before’, we have been ordering online from ASDA for a number of years (and occasionally from Ocado in more recent times). 

I am fully aware that I am able to amend the order right up until 12 hours (not 24) prior to the delivery time, and we frequently do so. I am also well versed in selecting ‘no substitution’ for items which we wouldn’t wish to receive an alternative for.  

However, this is the first time that ASDA have informed me that I WILL LOSE pasta and rice from my order if I amend it. This appears to be the point with which you are having difficulty. The implication of the warning that ASDA put on their web page was taken by me as meaning that if I didn’t amend my order then I wouldn’t lose the items they listed. Perhaps I was wrong to imply that from their message but then I have to wonder what the purpose of the message was if that isn’t the case. 

Once actually, and in relation to the same issue.

Is this really necessary?20200320_103521.jpg.0c44c66708b789f5652cd7f284c6f7b6.jpg

Seen at the National Trust's Hardcastle Crags today.

According to the latest statement on the NT website:

"The Trust’s coast and countryside places will be open as usual with any car park charges suspended and the charity is working where it can to keep outdoor spaces open and free to access.

However Mother’s Day and a weekend likely to be mostly dry and sunny could see some sites, especially smaller parks and gardens having to close.  Earlier this week the conservation charity announced that it would close its houses, shops and cafes to restrict the spread of coronavirus."

It seems that closing the cafes includes closing the picnic tables!

1 hour ago, WotEver said:

However, this is the first time that ASDA have informed me that I WILL LOSE pasta and rice from my order if I amend it. This appears to be the point with which you are having difficulty. The implication of the warning that ASDA put on their web page was taken by me as meaning that if I didn’t amend my order then I wouldn’t lose the items they listed. Perhaps I was wrong to imply that from their message but then I have to wonder what the purpose of the message was if that isn’t the case. 

(A implies B does not imply (B implies A)

Edited by Mike Todd

On 19/03/2020 at 13:14, matty40s said:

I'm not pleasure boating, I'm just moving my house to self isolate  and social distance on a remote stretch of towpath with a nice view....

Pleasure boating means anything other than commercial and even they have restrictions.

Keith

An amusing anecdote:

On local news last night they covered the story of a syndicate who had won £160k. They cut to a guy in his kitchen with the usual large cheque propped up on the counter. He was washing his hands as he observed “I’m giving my hands a thorough wash before I pick up the cheque.”

I don’t think he’d quite understood the message...

I thought I had posted this but maybe not

"

***UPDATE FROM BOATER REPS MEETING WITH CRT***

Yesterday the boater representatives on the CRT Council met with Matthew Symmonds (National Boating Manager). Many thanks to everyone who sent me their thoughts.

As expected, the main area of discussion was around Covid-19. The tone was positive, there seems to be a desire to support people but through individual arrangements rather than blanket measures. So the main message is

**If you need support, contact CRT immediately on 0303 040 4040**

- If anyone is having problems with the payment of licence or mooring fees then get in touch with CRT and they can help work out a way to potentially defer or delay payments. Several of us pushed that CRT should follow whatever government policy is put in place for private rent.

- If you are self-isolating or are in the 'at risk' category then contact CRT to arrange an overstay. They understand people may need to stay close to roads, supplies and support groups.

- If you are supporting another boater who is self-isolating and cannot move then get in touch 

with CRT to let them know.

- If you are self-isolating and are worried that you don't have a support network then CRT are using their local rangers and licence officers to help support you. Get in touch with your local team so they can assist you.

- CRT have looked to contact all elderly or vulnerable boaters using information they have. If you've not been contacted and feel you need support then let them know.

There was understanding that canal based businesses (including roving traders) will be struggling. CRT are operating on the basis that the navigation will stay open (however many festivals are being cancelled). As with the points above, if you need support from CRT get in touch with them (e.g. there may be ways to change business licences to leisure licences to save costs).

Finally, if you are operating a local support group for boaters then let CRT know as they may be able to help link up boaters needing support with others offering it.

I appreciate there is a lot of 'let CRT know' in the messages above, rather than proactive blanket measures. I think that, for now, this is reasonable. We have to meet them halfway by contacting them...only then will we see how far they are willing to help."

1 hour ago, WotEver said:

An amusing anecdote:

On local news last night they covered the story of a syndicate who had won £160k. They cut to a guy in his kitchen with the usual large cheque propped up on the counter. He was washing his hands as he observed “I’m giving my hands a thorough wash before I pick up the cheque.”

I don’t think he’d quite understood the message...

Saw a customer in the butchers today wearing surgical gloves, which were split, with his thumb hanging out. I don't know at which point he removed the gloves but they looked like he'd had them on at least since he got up in the morning. So many people simply aren't understanding the mechanisms involved in transmission of this virus. 

Edited by steve7a3
Edited to make it clear this was a customer, not the butcher!

1 minute ago, steve7a3 said:

Saw a guy in the butchers today wearing surgical gloves, which were split, with his thumb hanging out. I don't know at which point he removed the gloves but they looked like he'd had them on at least since he got up in the morning. So many people simply aren't understanding the mechanisms involved in transmission of this virus. 

Watched someone remove a mask to wipe their nose today. Eh? Do they not realise it could be on their hands off the trolley, on a five pound note, on a tin because someone didn't want it and put it back or basically anywhere? 

But at half five today, I did have the urge, and succumbed, to go out for one last pint

Happy boating all. See you at a 2 metre, call it 7 foot distance

Stay safe

19 minutes ago, BilgePump said:

Watched someone remove a mask to wipe their nose today. Eh? Do they not realise it could be on their hands off the trolley, on a five pound note, on a tin because someone didn't want it and put it back or basically anywhere? 

But at half five today, I did have the urge, and succumbed, to go out for one last pint

Happy boating all. See you at a 2 metre, call it 7 foot distance

Stay safe

Narrow or widebeam

• Greenie 1